The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

We got our 3 first shows lined up the coming 1.5 month. The first one is next week friday so pretty stoked about that. We're gonna do that one as a duo since we're used to it but we're working in a synth player and maybe a guitarist.

Thinking about adding an extra effect to my pedalboard, I feel like I want something extra just for variation sake, otherwise it's mainly fuzz and phaser. Either the Joyo Tremolo or the Mooer Ana Echo, any opinions on those 2? Not sure which effect I'd like the most..
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

You'd probably get more use out of an echo/delay/reverb pedal since you already have a phaser for oscillating sounds.
No Focus Pocus

MichaelZodiac

That was what I was thinking as well. Do you think I'd be able to get "One of These Days" type echo out of that Mooer?
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Lumpy

The Ana Echo is pretty short. Like .3 seconds (max) or something? Nice and warm, but short. If you need a longer delay and like the small size of Mooers, check out the Reecho. Thats one's like .8 seconds.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

just played the first UxSx show tonight. it wasn't a perfect performance by any means, but people seemed to dig it. pics soon..

jibberish

a good reason to have a pile of guitars,(but not the reason/theme of the other thread)
is that when you are on a roll and break a string, you can just grab another one and keep going.

----------------

is UxSx   code for your unholy band name?    ya never know with shit like SxSW or wtf heh.

-------------------

was nuking some coffee and stretching wondering if everyone else is going to somehow fit something like that into their routine.
I have a nice big 12oz cup so it takes 2 minutes in the little nuker. amazing what can be done in the 2 minutes I normally would have stared out the window at the thermometer or something
the pot turns off after an hour or 2 so the coffee doesn't burn up ,so it is always cold, but cold coffee may save my life because I can knock a set of something out every round. and I drink a lot of coffee(lo caf for sure or I would fry)

mortlock

yeah..UxSx = UNHOLY SEMEN. \m/

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on September 27, 2014, 05:06:26 AM
a good reason to have a pile of guitars,(but not the reason/theme of the other thread)
is that when you are on a roll and break a string, you can just grab another one and keep going.

It could be because I don't do a lot of string bending but I can't remember the last time I broke I string. I think it happened once or twice many years ago.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 26, 2014, 03:35:55 PM
10 years ago the faded SGs were fine players, has the quality dropped recently? Who else sells a US made guitar for $500? I don't pay any attention to their $2,000+ models.

Every Faded series Gibson I've played has been a disappointment. They feel bunk, they fight intonation like it was an enemy, and pretty much all the components are noticeably subpar. Resale "value" ain't so hot either, no surprise there. Do they serve a purpose? Sure, but not as an economic path to Gibsonness, IMO.
   The "good" Epiphones are about the same cost and are world's better, again IMO
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RAGER

A good portion of the new Gibsons I've played were shit quality to me.  Way too much finish work needed for a 3-5 thousand dollar guitar.  That's why I latched onto the two used ones I've got.  The 12 pound '78 is heavy but plays like butter.  The ought six has a neck repair and is a metal machina and looks real purdy.  Gotta agree whole fartedly on the Epi's.  A while back I was playing a natural finish Epi Explorer and expounding on it's virtues but damning it's neck dive quite vocally but rockin on it in the shop.  I had to put it back.  Couple other fellas were nearby and must have overheard cuz when I went back the next day to say fuck it I'll try to work past the neck dive, said fiddle was gone.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Explorer? Neck dive? Horseshit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Metal and Beer on September 27, 2014, 06:10:28 PM
Every Faded series Gibson I've played has been a disappointment. They feel bunk, they fight intonation like it was an enemy, and pretty much all the components are noticeably subpar. Resale "value" ain't so hot either, no surprise there. Do they serve a purpose? Sure, but not as an economic path to Gibsonness, IMO.
   The "good" Epiphones are about the same cost and are world's better, again IMO

Have you checked out an SGJ? They are $150-200 less than the new fadeds. I didn't have much luck intonating my old faded but I didn't know what I was doing at the time either. Any guitar with adjustable bridge saddles should intonate okay.

The 'good' Epi SG is the G-400 but I find them annoyingly neck heavy.

jibberish

^real good thing gibsons have nice adjustable bridge saddles. i had to fix the a on mine when i got it. it almost ran out of travel. that's how dorked the a was from the factory

why do i break strings?
i just really go for it when i play sometimes and break the hell out of strings.  i always stop and perform the "throw the great claw" ceremony and recite the mantra "We bad, we bad, uh-huh" when i blow out a low E.   elektrohasch said it was ok. he breaks lots of strings via his enthusiastic playing too heh.

i will say, the tele is almost impossible to break a string. the tail has these clever like trays that let the string move a hair to the side. the LP just cuts them off.
the tele really is a brilliant yet simple design. as an entire unit, it is super slick.

RAGER

And why don't I currently own a fucking Tele?  Head scratch.
No Focus Pocus

bbottom

hey guys. I'm not trying to be "that guy" that only posts when he has something to promote.....but it looks like it's turning out that way :)
I've been posting this stuff just about everywhere else so I figured why not here.
Well after taking a bit of a break (guitarist had a kid) Mass Driver has a few shows and other things going on.
First and foremost, we have a show this Thursday in Knoxville at the Concourse/International. This will be our first show at this venue and it should be an interesting one.
We'll be opening for a few "horror punk" bands. I'll be honest.... that kind of music is far from my thing but whatevs... it should be an interesting night anyway. And any excuse I have to play loud fuzzy riffs is cool and the gang with me.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1444201825857310/
We have a "CD" release kind of show on the 18th at Disc Exchange. Which is a pretty rad record store just on the other side of the sun sphere (you know...the thing with the wig shop at the top)
It's a free show and happening on a Saturday at 2 pm. Which is cool because that means that we'll be playing to folks that we would never play to otherwise. I finished up the flyer last night and got it hung up over most of the area today.

Last (but certainly not least) our T shirts arrived about 2 weeks ago.... with original artwork by yours truly..... of course

We're still working on a music video for one of our songs. It will probably be awhile before it's finished but I'll be sure to post it once it is.

liquidsmoke

Southern Wisconsin is going heavy duo crazy. 3 new ones just started playing out and there are at least 2 more in the works.

jibberish

ok I found an area where the tele is lame:  jazzy/finger-pick/classical/mood/psych...ish stuff. too tin can for all that.  LP territory. also maybe I haven't had it long enough, but I cant make it get all kinds of tones like the LP either.  

------------------------------------------------

edit UxSx needs a mascot like rattlehead or eddie or gorgor.     have a pirate named Malcum (mal evil, cum jizz)..unholy seaman type dude

mortlock

Quote from: jibberish on September 28, 2014, 11:29:50 PM
ok I found an area where the tele is lame:  jazzy/finger-pick/classical/mood/psych...ish stuff. too tin can for all that.  LP territory. also maybe I haven't had it long enough, but I cant make it get all kinds of tones like the LP either.  

------------------------------------------------

edit UxSx needs a mascot like rattlehead or eddie or gorgor.     have a pirate named Malcum (mal evil, cum jizz)..unholy seaman type dude
that's way out of our price range..

Omlet

Trying hard to sell my Skervesen. I need that Rickenbacker...

Lumpy

UNHOLY SEMEN!!!

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

does anyone have a cheap POS wireless mic laying around collecting dust that I can borrow until next spring?
I want to try to make a "Leslette".  make a little box with a little motor and resonant chamber and spin the mic around in baffles. runs on 9v, so you drop in front of amp and step on footswitch to make it spin. no other connections or wires other than footswitch.

furthermore, the mic receiver can get its signal sent to different effects than the rest of the rig

also, I think a mic through a little computer fan is a hilarious effect.  the retard in me could entertain myself until I fried my throat deploying zylon fighters, said through a big fan.
that's another battery powered physical effect that is pretty fucked up that I want to play with. DEPLOY ALL ZYLON FIGHTERS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: the coolest sound in the world is the sound of a zizzer. 

wtf is a zizzer you azzizisk?   ingredients: 1 campfire, 1 stick, 1 empty hotdog bun bag.

wrap and work the bag onto the stick by tying and briefling melting it a bit quickly in the fire until it is a big blob at the end and well secured

you need it kind of quiet, like at end of party and the fire is mostly quiet coals.  get the tip of the bag burning, and work it to keep the flame small so the whole bag doesnt melt off the stick=game over.

the little flame will start dripping drops of molten , flaming plastic. the sound is one of the most amazing sounds ever created by anything. very multidimensional sound too as a drop falls. like it is going through an envelope and filters. and it hits with a little "puh" heh. and you can drip it into a thing of liquid for a more cutoff sound and an ending sizzle heh.

dont drip it on yourself=mini napalm experience

jibberish

yeah, rip mr jim trafficant tractorcant

DOH SHIT  wrong blog. doh derrr duh haha

xayk

Quote from: RAGER on September 27, 2014, 06:19:05 PM
The 12 pound '78 is heavy but plays like butter. 

The best guitar I've ever played is a battered '79 SG. A friend has it and isn't playing it, and I offer to buy it every 3 months or so.

Danny G

You can use plastic army men as well. Melt the base a bit to stick them upside down to something, light their heads or arms on fire. Sit back and enjoy, while being careful not to burn the structure down.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com