The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omlet

I think I finished the two droning tracks. I think I'll listen to them during walk before uploading them, just to be sure they are OK.

Also, I killed my Perfect Beauty project. Or, rather changed it into something slightly different. To be honest, I got sick by its name :D

JemDooM

You should totally get a drummer omlet, if I were you I'd strive for that!
DooM!

Omlet

It will be very hard here :(

Jem, do you still want to collaborate on some track(s)? :)

liquidsmoke

My buds https://www.facebook.com/SerpentLung last night, https://www.facebook.com/astralpros did the old school oil. He also did the Jex Thoth set at Days of the Doomed this year.

JemDooM

I would definitely be up for it but I'm just too busy at the moment, iv lost loads of album writing time due to personal shit and now feel like I'm really behind, I don't want to leave it so long between albums and time passes so quickly, also got tonnes of practising to do with so many gigs coming up!! I would really like to put some eery guitar leads over your ambient stuff tho I think it'd sound awesome! Keep in touch :)
DooM!

Omlet

No problem :) Just drop me PM when you find some spare time :)

VOLVO)))

Ill collaborate, and I have free time...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Omlet

Wow! I'll PM you in the morning so it's rather late here and I'm fucking sleepy...

But it's great.

JemDooM

:)

Guys I need your opinion, iv read through too many forums with mixed thoughts over this, the ole "do bass heads wreck guitar cabs" thing. I mean a 450w solid state bass head full volume and gain with the red light clipping constantly. I'm feeling a little pressure to be using guitar cabs (as opposed to my bass cabs) that are provided sometimes especially at fests where obviously they want to keep set up times swift, we're also having to hire a van especially just to bring my cabs sometimes, obviously I'd prefer to use my own, I like how they sound, but I also always use my own out of respect for other peoples gear. It'd help to know the truth of the matter...
DooM!

Lumpy

The amp head doesn't matter so much. "Power is power", a bass head might be voiced slightly differently but should not harm anything if you are using a guitar (and no sub-octave type pedals). It's the guitar speakers that can be damaged by low frequencies (from a bass guitar) at high volumes.

You also do need to mind power ratings, and try to have them reasonably match. A cranked 450 watt amp head can indeed blow a speaker cab rated for (lets say) 100 or 200 watts, whether the head says "bass" or "guitar" on the front. It's a mismatch. It's not guaranteed to blow speakers but it's absolutely a high risk.

At festivals, can you request a bass cabinet for yourself?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

Playing bass into guitar cabs is fine if you don't expect it to sound like bass, and accept its gonna sound like guitar. Its the trying to eq the bass the cab can't do that screws things. Speakers warn about blowing by farting out loads. Cut rthe bass and crank the mids to hear yourself.

jibberish

punch holes in the cones before the show so you can just relax through the whole thing. if the cabs sound blown at the get go , who's gonna notice if they really do blow later on. simple 8D [this works best if it isn't your cab btw]

/geezerfactor

liquidsmoke

Bass or guitar head, if I hear guitar speakers farting or pulsating in weird ways I turn the lows down to reduce the chances of blowouts and because it sounds too weird and crazy. With that in mind if you are always playing through two 4x12s I think you should be fine as long as they aren't loaded with old style 25/30 watters. For guitar>dirt pedal>clean channel I now prefer using loud 100 watt tube guitar heads when going into guitar cabs. Even the 'clean all the way up' amps will breakup using low tunings but if you can work that into your tone I feel like you aren't heating your speakers up as much and there is the added tube richness, depth, and warmth.

VOLVO)))

I just play high gain amps at this point with no dirt pedals. Roll the volume down for cleaner.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

VOLVO)))

I use it for bass, now. I bought a Peavey ultra plus, and a fender dual showman from the 80s. Between those two, no need for pedals really. They both clean up really nicely with the tele, too.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Fuuuuuuuck!  I am so computer stupid.  I can't figure out how to do the firmware update for my new Moog.  DAMMMIT!
No Focus Pocus

Omlet

I've set up some Crown of Twilight tshirts on spradshirt. Too bad that I can't reduce the number of colors to one (black). Also, they are bit overpriced.

http://deadearth.spreadshirt.co.uk/

Probably I will take one for myself and no one will be interested, even my friends :D

jibberish

that t shirt place is cool. the concept is cool. fabric inkjet printers are killer. it just needs a graphics file.

edit: rager, i'm sure you called someone by now.  probably use system exclusive MIDI transfer.that's how you do data dumps or upload new settings from a PC editor w/e. every user manual has the sys ex settings and definitions somewhere in the back. it is confusing as fuck. if you haven't called anyone, just call someone.   5 minute explaindo trumps 2 weeks of solo wtf

JemDooM

I'm having no problems whatsoever with my tone etc with my own cabs, my question is should I be blasting my bass head through other peoples guitar cabs as I'd rather not based on some peoples opinions on it not being great for the cabs, but if anyone can confirm that it's definitely ok then maybe I wouldn't worry about it anymore! Lumpy so far fests we've played only ever have one bass cab to offer seeing as that's all most bands need, the next fest has sent a list with no end of amazing orange gear on offer including heads, I'm arguing with myself about just sucking it up and leaving the comfort zone of using my own stuff, I know it'd probably sound awesome but I don't like change... ;)
DooM!

jibberish

Quote from: JemDooM on September 22, 2014, 01:05:10 PM
I'm having no problems whatsoever with my tone etc with my own cabs, my question is should I be blasting my bass head through other peoples guitar cabs as I'd rather not based on some peoples opinions on it not being great for the cabs, but if anyone can confirm that it's definitely ok then maybe I wouldn't worry about it anymore! Lumpy so far fests we've played only ever have one bass cab to offer seeing as that's all most bands need, the next fest has sent a list with no end of amazing orange gear on offer including heads, I'm arguing with myself about just sucking it up and leaving the comfort zone of using my own stuff, I know it'd probably sound awesome but I don't like change... ;)

an amp is an amp is an amp. it takes low level audio signal and adds power.

various amps are tuned or "toned" or somehow tweaked for more specific uses, like a bass amp maybe with a really fine low end eq and darker tone colorings etc.
none of this matters to the speakers

what matters to the speakers is that you put the correct frequencies through them if you are worried about hurting them

are you playing a bass through your bass amp into guitar speakers? this is asking for trouble. guitar 12" speakers are designed for high volume in a band of more middle frequencies. the design is light weight, smaller coil and magnet assembly to reduce mass, and most importantly : reduced cone excursion because the frequencies are too quick to travel a long way before returning so it isn't needed.
well bass is low freq. it takes longer to unfold bass notes, so the cone has to travel further to eat up the time it takes to unfold that bass frequency.  very easy to go beyond the limitations of that oversized midrange driver and enter "foxen's inferno"

DO NOT PUT BASS FREQUENCIES INTO GUITAR CABS WITH ANY AMP

If you are playing guitar, you are in the frequency zone those speakers are made for. the bass amp amplifies what you put into it and if that is only guiter, there is no difference besides tone between that and a dedicated guitar head.

now it is merely a matter of not globally overpowering the speakers. if you have a total 200w cab and you have a nice 1000w bass head, heh..yeah..you better watch it, but if you have a 200w head, should be good to go and basically safe as a 200w guitar amp

jibberish

paging dr rager dr fine dr rager.

please to give us a sample of big sky country already. you have owned it for 7 or 8 hours now, hahaha

if you would be so kind, hit me up with that dark choir patch on some wild shit. the one that was at 7:03 in that demo you linked

Omlet

I tried to meet with two different dudes to play some stoner/sludge etc. And - of course - it failed.

I'm unable to find anyone to play with for five fucking years.

JemDooM

Thanks jibbs, so guitar through bass head through guitar cabs is ok, so long as the wattage is compatible obviously, and even if the guitar is downtuned to A, lows/mids pushed on the head, red light clipping, this is still definitely probably ok?

Omlet keep trying, why does it not work out? John and I spent a few years unable to find the right drummer, we tried out loads of people, it was really disheartening often, don't give up hope (that is if you do want someone)
DooM!

jibberish

I don't see any dealbreaker here.   the deeper the bass the worse the problem. like lumpy was saying up above in his post which I tried to restate in different words, a sub octave pedal is what would be asking for trouble. that goes low. 

the clip light is telling you that you are getting all the power out you can, so it should be easier to just say "i will max this amp. is the cab rated for as much or hopefully a good fraction more power than my amp's full rating?" 

also note if your amp has different wattages into different impedance loads listed. It might be 150W into 8 ohms and 300 into 4 ohms or something different like that. so match cab and amp power with the correct impedance values. you probably never want to run  SS amps into 2 ohms hard unless they state that is ok. that's a ridiculous amount of current and can more easily melt the outputs.(like maybe series 2 4 ohm cabs vs parallel so you run 8ohms vs 2ohms)

hth, I think you will be fine just watching those couple things for compatability. anything beyond that I will have to defer to the real road warriors that have seen real shit onstage...