The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on August 31, 2014, 12:09:32 AM
worth a try.

can you add effects in the daw like some chorusing? are there any "swing" features that can slightly warp the timing? does your daw have a pitch shifter?
I wonder if nearly inaudible additions of some of these types of distortions would do the trick. you can make as many dupe tracks as you want and very slightly taint each one a different way.

i'm interested in your results, as I do this kind of shit to try and cheat my way out of another take. that's how I found my zero latency delay trick with dupe tracks.

Will look for/try these too.

jibberish

hard to beat a real double track tho..

this was just 2 guitars (+drum machine and vocal experiment)
the first phrase after the intro garbage was 1 guitar, then the second one adds in, and it is louder, but also much thicker.
this is also a good example why I would never get rid of that boss MT-2.  very sweet sounding with either of my LP's, even into, I think, the digital 8track..pretty old recording

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/doktordeath/myberwick[/soundcloud]

Angostura

Quote from: liquidsmoke on August 31, 2014, 11:15:14 PM
If it sounds huge that will be awesome. Hear you on hard panning too.

Panning is the key. It only takes the slightest shove to get the right effect. Too much and it will sound like a slapback delay.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on September 01, 2014, 07:38:17 AM
hard to beat a real double track tho..

this was just 2 guitars (+drum machine and vocal experiment)
the first phrase after the intro garbage was 1 guitar, then the second one adds in, and it is louder, but also much thicker.
this is also a good example why I would never get rid of that boss MT-2.  very sweet sounding with either of my LP's, even into, I think, the digital 8track..pretty old recording

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/doktordeath/myberwick[/soundcloud]

whoa, this is very unique sounding

AgentofOblivion

I was playing around with some techniques yesterday and tried something new that I think turned out pretty cool.  I use amp modeling software (specifically Guitar Rig 4) and usually I'll apply a unique FX/amp set up to each guitar track.  This time I made a master track with the guitar rig set up and then routed multiple guitar tracks to it, which were panned.  So I'd record one part split about 80/20 to the left on the neck pickup then record a different/complimentary part with 20/80 to the right on the bridge pickup.  This fed into a single amplifier (set in stereo mode).  Anything else I changed (i.e. EQ, saturation) was done to the master track.  One of the strengths of this technique is that it gave a nice continuity to the guitar tracks.  It also made editing simpler since I didn't have to try to recreate all the changes I made to whatever other guitar tracks there were.  You can be the judge on the results.  You may have to copy/paste the link since it's a private track.

https://soundcloud.com/rowsdowerband/7-4-gm-riffs-mixdown-v2/s-bbL0h

Omlet

Band search, take 3678467829377390282908. I hope that I will not give up this time...

jibberish

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on September 02, 2014, 10:31:58 AM
I was playing around with some techniques yesterday and tried something new that I think turned out pretty cool.
https://soundcloud.com/rowsdowerband/7-4-gm-riffs-mixdown-v2/s-bbL0h

fun track.  heh, i thought we were in for some primus worship right when it first started. hard to listen to the instruments and not the tune (that's a compliment). the guitar has a nice rounded tone to it, and no 2-track slop ever peeks out the edges doing it this way. how did that sound vs just a single one of the tracks in that mix?

this brings me to another question which I may have to play around with:

Do you want the smear of double tracking on a clean guitar voice?   A guitar played nicely sounds nice as is. i would consider what someone mentioned regarding tracking a second but complimentary track maybe. IDK or do this dupe+fatten trickery before i double tracked clean guitars.

AgentofOblivion

Thanks!  I didn't even try having a single guitar down the middle since it was always intended to be a 2-guitar song.  A single guitar obviously sounds weak by itself when mainly panned to one side.  At first I had two similar, but different amp models (which were pretty heavily distorted by the way) and I think the song gained a lot of life by routing them to a stereo amp and cutting the gain way back.  I probably aim for a sound that's less heavy than most, but I also think even those people that want a really heavy sound would do themselves a favor by reducing the gain a bit.  I suppose it's a preference but I find you need a lot less gain in a band setting than you might use when playing by yourself.

RAGER

Getting about time for a complete tear down and rewire of the synth rig again.

No Focus Pocus

Omlet

New riff. First one in weeks...

...an only one new. I was unable to create anything more than it. What is worse, I'm out for the most of the weekend, so it's highly possible that it must wait for the monday evening before I can start working on it again.

liquidsmoke

The G-310 is just a Special with 2 more knobs and a different pick guard right?

Danny G

Fuck.

So after spending $500 I don't have in maintenance to my SVT it has developed a microphonic pre. Tried the 6c4 and the 12ax7. Neither is the culprit so must be a 12dw7 or microphonic tube socket.

Will fuck with it again tonight and hope for the best

Also finally tested my JCM800 after it cut out few weeks back.

Powered up but no sound. Checked the fuses. One blown. Replaced. Promptly blew again. Fuck. The power amp tubes still relatively new so wtf?!?

So as of now I have no functional gigging guitar amp, and am down to the SWR backup for bass. Can't afford to fix either amp.

Starting to think playing music full time was a really stupid idea because being broke all the time no matter how hard i am working is getting real old real quick.

//end blog
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

VOLVO)))

Take it back to the tech who worked on it. No accusations.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Omlet

Recording some long, repetitive, droning dark ambient song(s). I like creating such music, even if no one listens to it :D

everdrone

Quote from: Omlet on September 09, 2014, 05:49:41 PM
Recording some long, repetitive, droning dark ambient song(s). I like creating such music, even if no one listens to it :D
cool man!

ya, thats how I feel about my original stuff too, maybe one day Ill be in a band where we like creating such original music, even if like only our family members and close friends show up to the show :)

jibberish

Quote from: Danny G on September 09, 2014, 05:13:07 PM
Fuck.

So after spending $500 I don't have in maintenance to my SVT it has developed a microphonic pre. Tried the 6c4 and the 12ax7. Neither is the culprit so must be a 12dw7 or microphonic tube socket.

Powered up but no sound. Checked the fuses. One blown. Replaced. Promptly blew again. Fuck. The power amp tubes still relatively new so wtf?!?

So as of now I have no functional gigging guitar amp, and am down to the SWR backup for bass. Can't afford to fix either amp.

Starting to think playing music full time was a really stupid idea because being broke all the time no matter how hard i am working is getting real old real quick.

//end blog

do you ever ponder going SS?     

giantchris

Quote from: Danny G on September 09, 2014, 05:13:07 PM
Fuck.

//end blog
Get a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 or Character series British for guitar and the VT Bass for bass cost you 200$ used maybe $350-$400 new one time fee never break and almost no one can tell the difference.  Get a cheapo Tube compressor to use before it and almost no one whatsoever will notice.  I honestly feel I am going to not use amps live for bass anymore because everywhere I've played just DIs it and/or doesn't let me turn up past 2 so I want more control over my live sound.

everdrone

monitors are not that great for bass DI only.  I have a peavey tour 450 I got used for $200 that has a DI like most solid state amps made in the last 10 years, I recommend going that route as well ;)

Omlet

I think that today I'll record another dark ambient track. I have some ideas.

Of course, it will be long and boring :D

Jem, are you still interested in some kind of musical collab? :)

Danny G

Currently going solid state as the SWR is my only fully functioning amp now.

Yesterday's funk lifted after rehearsal with bassist + sax for Ocean of Stars (working in two new songs) followed by jamming with some other guys I recorded an album with last year who want to record another by the end of the month.

Re: SS/DI/amp-less

I'll def reconsider once my back goes, heh.

For what I need live in a rig, the SVT has beaten anything I've ever used, hands down.

In taking it back to the shop I'm feeling more bad for the tech than mad at him (not at all). He is the most name-recognized SVT tech in Austin. And he's an all around good dude with good people in his shop, and another friend did some of the work as well.

So yeah to wheel it back in there and be all "Hey guys! Um, yeah... So..."

Guess I should leave the Marshall there too.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

RAGER

Yes but you paid them right?  Ask them what they would do if tables were turned. Your amp still isn't right.
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

also consider weaving solid state into your repertoire.  like using solid state for any practices and low paid gigs for less concerning audiences for instance ;)   

Danny G

^^^ Right there with ya. I've been using the SWR for vertain situations where the SVT is just a little too much and for small stages/portability

Re: paying the amp techs. Yes I did, although technically VISA paid the techs (and I will be repaying VISA for a very long time...)  :(

everdrone

I would pick up a part time daytime job cause I never have seen much $ through music and flakey musicians and flakey club owners, but thats me...  gives a chance to rest your frethand and avoid RSIs too.  no one is getting paid in most jobs in the economy these days it seems, but at least Austin seems to be hiring...

liquidsmoke

Weighed my heads tonight because I was curious. Figured the Carvin was half the Fender and I was right.

Converted from combo x100b- 30
Dual Showman- 60

Might take the Carvin in sometime again, it gets really hot and that worries me.