The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Do most guitars go a bit sharp after they warm up from being played?

everdrone

I wonder if bigger cities like Dallas or Houston have a curse like that

the Austin curse is not good for original bands from Austin ...

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 23, 2014, 02:12:53 PM

No. Most properly set up guitars that warm up tend to go flat, while those that cool down tend to go sharp.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on July 23, 2014, 02:22:35 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 23, 2014, 02:12:53 PM

No. Most properly set up guitars that warm up tend to go flat, while those that cool down tend to go sharp.

Oh yeah that sounds right, I had it backwards. It will be a bit sharp when I come back to it hours or days later.

mutantcolors

Quote from: xayk on July 23, 2014, 02:04:08 PM
Quote from: mutantcolors on July 23, 2014, 01:49:16 PM
Hey, look on the bright side. Band from here (Boise) wallow in obscurity regardless.

Uzala rule, and I'm over 2000 miles away.

I beg to differ. I know 'em but I just don't care for the music. Same with Wolvserpent. Call me jaded.

xayk

Quote from: mutantcolors on July 24, 2014, 12:17:12 AM
I beg to differ. I know 'em but I just don't care for the music. Same with Wolvserpent. Call me jaded.

That's cool - there's no accounting for taste and etc. Just saying that Boise is MAKING IT'S PRESENCE KNOWN.

(I was completely underwhelmed by Wolvserpent live.)

mutantcolors

Point made, those are unrelated. I wish I liked the somewhat popular bands from here.

Now these guys, I really dig. Good friends too, we just played some dates with them. I hope they put another pin in the map here.
http://bliiss.bandcamp.com/

liquidsmoke

Tracking the guitars for the last song on our upcoming ep and the tone for one long sparse B string only riff was sounding odd and lacking sustain.. delay pedal to the rescue! Got the timing right on with the tempo and it adds a ton of atmosphere and makes the song more interesting. Love this unit.

MichaelZodiac

I want a Catalinbread Echorec. That thing sounds amazingly Floydian on bass.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

liquidsmoke

Saw Yes here the other night, mind blowing, crystal clear sound. Steve Howe seemed to be going through a Line 6 combo and Chris Squire had a Line 6 guitar 4x12 mic'd. Couldn't see more than that. All we are doing is moving air, whatever sounds good is right. The synths were all or mostly digital and sounding digital but they sounded good enough. Their current singer is incredible.

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 27, 2014, 11:41:55 PM
Saw Yes here the other night, mind blowing, crystal clear sound. Steve Howe seemed to be going through a Line 6 combo and Chris Squire had a Line 6 guitar 4x12 mic'd. Couldn't see more than that. All we are doing is moving air, whatever sounds good is right. The synths were all or mostly digital and sounding digital but they sounded good enough. Their current singer is incredible.

sweet. the singer is even named John (not jon, that would have been too spooky).  he really is the perfect Jon Anderson clone. amazing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey liquid, that slimmerman thing you linked is the second most crucial thing I have read regarding music construction. there is so much going on in his talking I cant absorb more than a section or two at one sitting. the situations, the techniques, the equipment. that dude's ears+experience is priceless.
victor wooten's book still #1.  I really thank you for linking that, just wow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have a recording issue.

recording necessity:   make sure you can monitor your playback from a DAW simultaneously with the fresh realtime next track you are recording, not the input stream in the DAW. my old soundblaster Audigy had a great mixer and you could monitor anything from the card in the pc. soundblaster does not make a platinum Audigy for anything past win XP and no drivers are available for newer windows. now my PC is half duplex due to a)too user friendly asus bios and 2) lame fucking soundblasters now.  I have to use a "headphone mixer" and bring in the new signal and the playback from the DAW just for the phones.

does anyone have a real clean trick for monitoring both?  I am pondering how I can use 2 busses on the main 4-buss mixer as the DAW playback return. I just have to make sure the DAW playback doesn't get fed back into the recording mix. right now I just used my tiny mixer as a headphone mixer. handy but extra gear kludgy.
my dp-24 multitrack deck handles that internally. more points in favor of an all-in-1 shot recording unit, but when i am just recording demo/ideas, i want fast and easy into the pc.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on July 28, 2014, 03:37:33 AM
hey liquid, that slimmerman thing you linked is the second most crucial thing I have read regarding music construction. there is so much going on in his talking I cant absorb more than a section or two at one sitting. the situations, the techniques, the equipment. that dude's ears+experience is priceless.

It's nuts. I read and skimmed some of it and soaked in a little but most of it is way too advanced for me. I just experiment with mic placement, volume, distortion level, etc until I get a good and good enough sounding recorded tone and start tracking.

Danny G

Post link again? I seem to have missed it and now cannot find it...
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RacerX

^
Back on the koolaid pineapple juice.
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Donner (knockoff of Mooer micro pedals) have a couple of new ones, at introductory prices. Reverb, Modulation (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, unfortunately only one at a time), a Phase 90 clone, and a booster.

I've had mixed results with these micro pedals (I like the Donner Rat clone and Mooer Reecho and Pitch Box, I don't like the Donner delay or Mooer Trelicopter). I will probably buy the Reverb and Modulation pedals (hope springs eternal) but use your own discretion. Aren't most reverbs based on the "Belton brick"? No room for a brick in this pedal, maybe it's like a Danelectro BLT (short delay-based reverb?)

"Plump" sounding!

http://www.donnerdeal.com/brand/donner.html
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Now that I own a Moog delay I am forever ruined on delays.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I bought a (used) Squier Jaguar on Ebay, because I don't need another guitar.

:(

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

Quote from: Lumpy on July 31, 2014, 08:21:59 PM
I bought a (used) Squier Jaguar on Ebay, because I don't need another guitar.

:(

Dude, let's see it.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Lumpy

Jaguar is here, it smells like cologne or maybe Irish Spring soap :(

Neck is a little bowed, and the old-fashioned bridge is a mess... two saddles are missing screws (G, B) and another one is shimmed (low E). Nut probably needs work too. A couple of tiny dings and pickguard shows wear (which I take as a positive - it's been played... it wasn't so shitty that it couldn't be used). Even with the issues, I can see that modern Squiers are much better quality than the average cheapy, and much better than they used to be... seems on par with an average Fender, as far as playability, quality of materials, fit and finish.

(I can guess why the neck is bowed - it's fretting out above the 12th fret, but the bridge is so wack that bowing the neck was probably how they tried to make it playable)

I paid $15 for shipping, label on box says he actually paid $53.  :o

I could upgrade to a Mastery Bridge but that costs about what I paid for the guitar.  ???

The Shocker

Love that color.  I think mine has a Mustang bridge on it now.  I always wanted to get a Mastery bridge, but them's expensive.

Lumpy

Quote from: The Shocker on August 05, 2014, 05:44:16 PM
Love that color. 

Fist-bump. I like all the other retro Fender colors too (Sonic Blue, Fiesta Red etc). The most stoner rock color is black though ;)

In other news, my practice space hasn't had AC for the entire month of July. About to head over there now, I hope it's fixed now.  >:(