The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Got a great deal on a used Chinese G-400 SG but it has a somewhat thick neck and doesn't have the body mass to balance it out so it neck dives just like my early faded Gibson did(although that thing had a beastial neck for some reason). I swear the Indonesian Epiphones have thinner necks, at least the LPs anyway. Grrrr... I think this guy is going back to GC. Maybe only the 'specials' have the thin necks actually.

RacerX

Reposition strap button to top "horn."

Balance problem solved.

Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on June 09, 2014, 11:03:32 PM
Reposition strap button to top "horn."

Balance problem solved.

Tried that yesterday, didn't really help. It doesn't flop forward as much though.

Quote from: RacerX on June 09, 2014, 11:03:32 PM

:D

RAGER

Got stoned and disassembled and detailed my new/old Supraphonic yesterday.  Man that thing is in such nice shape.  The chrome is just perfect except where etched with the church's info  :D.  The date code was partially obscured with one of the inside lug fasteners so when I pulled it apart the date stamps say Dec. 13 1971.  I was just a wee bugger.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

I have to admit, I have learned an incredible amount of stuff from the people in here compared to when I first plagued the jam room.

I should hunt down and kill every last one of you for turning me into a tone sensitive freak too. I used to be ok with SS all the way. assholes.

dogfood

Jib, just wait till you hear this yba-1 with the 6550s in 'er.    :o :o :o ;D 

I finally started working as my job got delayed due to shite weather all winter and spring. And, I picked up a 2nd evening job for shits and giggles 4 nights a week.  I'm fixin' to be a busy little boy (who can afford to repair all of my gear).  For 4 weeks I was sitting at the house stewing and fretting waiting for the green light on my project as there was no cash American being delivered to my checking account AND the mortgage payment wasn't about to stop!  Never did I once think about liquidating my gear.  Dogfood don't roll that way!
Problem solving whiskey!

agent of change

We were asked by the booking agent for a new nicer club in town (the Mothlight) to open a show for Black Pussy and Mothership. Apparently we were recommended by another booking dude who has gotten us our few shows in town. But then Mothlight booking agent actually listened to our bandcamp page and decided we were too heavy. The word "scary" might have been used. So we were disinvited.

Then a few days ago, a friend texted us saying that someone from the Mothlight was "desperately" trying to get ahold of us so we made the connect. Found out it was the owner. He apologized for what happened. Said the bands wanted their own local opener but that band suddenly dropped the show. Asked us to play. We said yes. So our mission is to go on first and fucking destroy the other two bands sonically and technically.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

jibberish

^yeah, drop thee bunker buster all up in there. 

dogfood, I look forward to it.  Hey, are you ok now?
i'm kind of bummed that you were idling. I could have shown you some stuff around town.

RAGER

This mornings jam set up before work.  Super cool combo of things. And a pic of my tootsies too :P

No Focus Pocus

Danny G

Jibberish, you will never find us.

You will encounter many a diabolical booby trap tracking us down. Like leaving a trail of NOS tubes leading to a cliff, and you will continue to walk into empty space collecting them, and the fall Wile E. Coyote style when you finally look down.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

That, and tracking/mixing for the Ocean of Stars demo EP is complete.

Sax player came by and touched up a few things, and I managed to successfully mix the remaining two songs. No easy feat w/o automation.

Having it mastered by Cris Burns on Tuesday, he did both Mother Truckers albums I was on, and has won a Grammy.

Cannot wait to hear finished product. And looking forward to finally pushing forward with booking and label-seeking etc

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

Quote from: Danny G on June 16, 2014, 11:30:15 AM
Jibberish, you will never find us.

You will encounter many a diabolical booby trap tracking us down. Like leaving a trail of NOS tubes leading to a cliff, and you will continue to walk into empty space collecting them, and the fall Wile E. Coyote style when you finally look down.

and a Chihuahua with a big hat and a stimpy accent sticks his tongue out just to add insult to impending injury.
and dammit, if I didn't pass the fucking rock up on the way down. how does this happen?

gz on your OoS album progress btw.

oh yeah, my blog part of this post.   I have to go and get my music gear that my son was using, plus he only took his acoustic and his greta baby amp, so I will have to organize all the crap he left and I probably will actually grab the memory lane delay since he wont be using it for a good while.

he and his longtime collaborator guitar playing pal recorded some cool instrumental prog metal sort of tracks before he booked town. I really feel bad for his pal losing his drummer.  both them thar boys are getting good. I need to get the links to those songs. a couple are really complex and I would like to listen to them more, maybe even link one here w/e

jibberish

bloggity bloggity.

I stumbled upon some videos during one of my semi-random youtube forays called flash mobs.  the colonel bogey march one and bethoven's 5th in the Spanish town square ruled, but people bust these things in malls, train stations and dance or pull a symphony performance.

I want to do this. somehow. 

liquidsmoke

If I get another random 4x10 bass cab what are the chances that there will be phasing issues? If I find one cheap it's happening, just wondering what my odds might be.

this is for bass guitar

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on June 17, 2014, 05:57:29 AM
If I get another random 4x10 bass cab what are the chances that there will be phasing issues? If I find one cheap it's happening, just wondering what my odds might be.

this is for bass guitar

9v battery test. make a little rig with a 9v and 2 alligator clips. get so you can see the speaker clearly and touch the battery across the terminals. the 1-shot dc rise will move the cone in one direction. so you can see if some random wire job moves forward when + goes to +.  this was great for car stereo wiring when things can get confusing. good feeling when you see all your speakers move the same direction. then I have the next multi-amp phasing check to make sure nothing is wired backwards from the amps either.

RAGER

Went and looked at a Prophet 600 yesterday.  All original and in perfect shape.  No cracks in the membrane.  It's got some bugs though for sure.  If I get it, it will have to be gone through and I will do the Teensy/Gligli treatment to it to make it super duper badass.
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on June 17, 2014, 08:31:48 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on June 17, 2014, 05:57:29 AM

this is for bass guitar

9v battery test. make a little rig with a 9v and 2 alligator clips. get so you can see the speaker clearly and touch the battery across the terminals. the 1-shot dc rise will move the cone in one direction. so you can see if some random wire job moves forward when + goes to +.  this was great for car stereo wiring when things can get confusing. good feeling when you see all your speakers move the same direction. then I have the next multi-amp phasing check to make sure nothing is wired backwards from the amps either.

Interesting. I meant the two cabs being out of phase with one another.

Going to check out a Randall 'R215S' 2x15 Thursday. Guy only wants $200 for it and I've read they have Eminence speakers in them. Grey carpet. I'll try to talk him down if it works and is loud.

jibberish

the battery test can show you that too.  you just want everything attached to the same terminal of your amp to all move the same direction. and you can use any convention, just as long as every last speaker in every last cabinet moves the same direction when hit with the same polarity of voltage.

car stereo="many cabs" if you will.  then with the hidden wiring, things get confusing, even getting the right speaker(s) to the right amp channel.
at least you have it all out in front of you.

I have a thing about establishing conventions for myself so I don't have to think about it. for example, red is right like with color coded stereo cables, or white is right if that color is in there. but red is righter than white if that's the 2 colors haha. any distinguishing markings on wires is the positive, like the common line on zip cord always has a pattern or ridge(this would be the white 110vac wire in power cords for all you wannabe electricians). I use that as positive for like speakers, or if there is gold and silver conductors, the gold is +  etc etc etc haha

but it is a no brainer now. I assume positive to be the speaker moving out of the cabinet. this shit is all arbitrary, just as long as I stick with the convention

edit: hey, you could use your 12v pedal power supply too or 2 series 9 volts if the single 9 cant move all the speakers in a cab enough to see. be warned that 8 ohms will pull 1.5 amps(4 ohm pulls 3 amps which is a lot for a wall wart thing) if you leave it on a long time. you onl;y need to touch it to move the cone. inductance cannot permit instantaneous current flow, so you wont blow anything up in that fraction of a second. the cone motion is where that energy is going.

jibberish

inductors are like a string of railroad cars hooked up to a loco ready to leave the yard. the loco has to creep forward initially to tighten the slack in all the couplers of all the cars. if he took off hard, by the time the slack was tightening toward the end of a half mile string, the front could be going several mph and this would damage the end cars when they got whip snapped.

SO, in the world of hooke's law(2nd order differential equation) which explains both electrical and physical momentum/energy, the inductance term is defined by
dI/dT.  "d" means "the change in", so the change in current divided by the change in time is the inductance term. you cannot divide by zero. current cannot immediately flow through a coil, just like that train doesn't come all slack tightened when it starts. this time delay is like the slack period where it is getting to the state of solid train. the electrons are the cars, the battery/amp is the loco. it too has to tighten the slack before the solid string comes out the other end.

some stereo speakers have the mids and highs physically set back to try and delay their output to match the woofer's bigger inductance time delay. those twicky engineews.

RAGER

The "nth" incarnation of the synth rig.

No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

Quote from: RAGER on June 14, 2014, 03:13:22 PM
This mornings jam set up before work.  Super cool combo of things. And a pic of my tootsies too :P

It's getting out of control rager! I can see your live show in like 5 years, dozens of synths and pedal boards taking over the stage, is there such thing as synthcore?
DooM!

JemDooM

Yes there is....so this is how my night ends, gonna get some ice cream before I start this...
DooM!

Pissy

Quote from: RAGER on June 18, 2014, 03:54:57 PM
The "nth" incarnation of the synth rig.

Wow dude.  Not fucking around I see.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

;D  I actually think that's all I'm doing is fucking around but it helps putting things in different combinations to see what works and sounds good together.  I'm having a lot of fun though.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

hey rager, do you ever get into echoes, the syndicated radio show.?? I don't know if you get it where you are. if you do, I think you might dig it. I listen in every chance I get..
http://echoes.org/