The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metal and Beer

With a little "creativity", bad blasts can be fashioned into kvlt crustgrind  :D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

JemDooM

add some no washing for 12 months and you've even got Tr00 kvlt crustgrind!!
DooM!

Jake

I really dig that Coltsblood stuff as well. I had heard some older demo stuff a while back but I would say that the new one is a quantum leap forward. Congratulations on all the upcoming gig, tours, recordings, etc. 
poop.

everdrone

Quote from: Jake on June 02, 2014, 03:35:33 PM
I really dig that Coltsblood stuff as well. I had heard some older demo stuff a while back but I would say that the new one is a quantum leap forward. Congratulations on all the upcoming gig, tours, recordings, etc.  
ya, very cool!!! +1

JemDooM

DooM!

jibberish

so, not only have I created a new genre: black math, but I have the name of the band which came from some thread I was screwing around in: Autistic Einstein.
I see a vision of the band logo too.

mortay, I wish you were closer to clevo. we have the coolest most hilarious outlaw pirate generator jam opportunity of EVER coming up in late june. there is a big jazzfest at tri-c(local college). it sounds like all the big names play inside where you buy tickets to get in, but outside will be tons of smaller fame bands and local groups etc.   

my bro in law's Honda generator is fucking quiet. I could borrow that instead of the Stanley I have.
we could sneak in on the fringe and call it avante garde jazz, then put on the most obnoxious noise blitz and see if any people act like they get this heh.
Autistic Einstein would explain it all so people would probably just absorb it to see what it is until they grossed out enough. those 2 sax guys would rule this scene.

liquidsmoke

Buddy of mine wants a gig worthy rig for hard rock/punk type sounds. He has never owned anything other than practice amps and wants a tube head with good cleans. I'm thinking it would be hard for him to go wrong with a Classic 50 combo and extension cab if he needs more volume. Of course I've tried to encourage him to get eight 1x12s and a 2,000 watt power amp but he doesn't like that idea. ;)

Wonderin' if you folks had any ideas. He doesn't want to spend Marshall money. Any random cheaper tube head with a clean channel and a low end 4x12 would probably also work for him but I don't see the point in getting beginner gear at his age if he can avoid it.

mutantcolors

Classic 50 or similar sounds like a solid choice to me. Get anything that can run an extension cab and you're in business.

liquidsmoke

He says he would prefer a head but there aren't that many similar amps in a head version on the lower end of the price spectrum. The Classic heads seem to be pretty rare. Thinking a XXX might also work although I've heard mixed things about it's clean channel and the quality of it's non-high gain rock tones.

VOLVO)))

JCM900s of almost any flavor are Peavey money, these days. Great amps.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Ah. Clean channel? I've never played one. I always assumed they were an 800 with more distortion.

RacerX

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 03, 2014, 01:49:42 PM
JCM900s of almost any flavor are Peavey money, these days. Great amps.

Really? Classic 50s are like $400 used.
Livin' The Life.

mutantcolors

If he's jumping head first into head and cab, cool, but the combo to me is an affordable, expandable way to get a big, bad ass rig in two steps. XXX is more high gain modern sound, basically a budget JSX. While awesome, it's different. The crunch channel on a JSX is great, so I assume the XXX is as well.

RAGER

I would have thought a DSL but I saw one at my buddy's shop yesterday for $900.  Guess they ain't as cheap as they recently were.  Thought 900's were up there too.  However there is a 100xb and a 4x12 for $500.  That seemed pretty solid to me.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on June 03, 2014, 01:32:13 PM
Buddy of mine wants a gig worthy rig for hard rock/punk type sounds. He has never owned anything other than practice amps and wants a tube head with good cleans. I'm thinking it would be hard for him to go wrong with a Classic 50 combo and extension cab if he needs more volume. Of course I've tried to encourage him to get eight 1x12s and a 2,000 watt power amp but he doesn't like that idea. ;)

Wonderin' if you folks had any ideas. He doesn't want to spend Marshall money. Any random cheaper tube head with a clean channel and a low end 4x12 would probably also work for him but I don't see the point in getting beginner gear at his age if he can avoid it.

my first thought was that xxx my son has. geee-zuss is that thing loud. plenty of gain for loud and clean. those peaveys are cheaper than most other 100w tube amps from what I have seen.
I heard a blues deville combo cut through a giant carvin house PA. that is only half marshall money

a fender twin reverb.  I seriously bet that is the loudest combo there is. ( ok 1.5 times marshall money, but this is the amp he wants. you know it, I know it, now G.A.S. him up with hi-test and let him run....haha)

RacerX

Quote from: RAGER on June 03, 2014, 03:36:10 PM
However there is a 100xb and a 4x12 for $500.  That seemed pretty solid to me.

Not fully a tube amp, but those can sound pretty heavy.
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on June 03, 2014, 03:15:57 PM
If he's jumping head first into head and cab, cool, but the combo to me is an affordable, expandable way to get a big, bad ass rig in two steps. XXX is more high gain modern sound, basically a budget JSX. While awesome, it's different. The crunch channel on a JSX is great, so I assume the XXX is as well.

Yeah a 2x12 combo just makes sense to me, for him, lol. I sometimes see the XXX listed for $300 and am mighty curious about them myself.

I would have thought a DSL but I saw one at my buddy's shop yesterday for $900.  Guess they ain't as cheap as they recently were.  Thought 900's were up there too.  However there is a 100xb and a 4x12 for $500.  That seemed pretty solid to me.

Do you mean x100b? A shop here also has one with a 4x12 for that price. I like my combo conversion of it although it puts off a lot of heat which makes me kind of nervous.

Quote from: jibberish on June 03, 2014, 04:02:00 PM
a fender twin reverb.  I seriously bet that is the loudest combo there is. ( ok 1.5 times marshall money, but this is the amp he wants. you know it, I know it, now G.A.S. him up with hi-test and let him run....haha)

I thought of that too but assume they cost more than Classic 50s. 1.5 times marshall money though? Really? Used? That doesn't sound right.

Quote from: RacerX on June 03, 2014, 04:04:29 PM
However there is a 100xb and a 4x12 for $500.  That seemed pretty solid to me.

Not fully a tube amp, but those can sound pretty heavy.

The '100xb' thing is screwing me up here. I Googled it and can only assume he meant 'x100b' because I couldn't find any info on it the other way around. It thought these were pure tube.

Quote from: the diddler on June 03, 2014, 11:10:54 PM
http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/4503205395.html

I had one for a few weeks and thought it sounded mediocre.

moose23

Laney

Jake

poop.

AgentofOblivion

Quote from: moose23 on June 04, 2014, 08:20:41 AM

Laney

I have a monster 2x12 100 watt combo Laney TT100 for sale.  Tell him he can sound like Tony Iommi.  Offers accepted.

https://reverb.com/item/83460-laney-tt100-3-channel-all-tube-footswitchable

AgentofOblivion

Finally started work on my basement to get it ready for band rehearsal.  I bought a house (about a year ago) with a primary motivation being a place to play music.  Took my shit into the basement and started looking around for an outlet...not a single fucking one.  Well, finally got around to running a couple 20 amp circuits to that side and wired up some outlets.  Now I need to think about additional/cool lighting and get that wired up so I can put in a drop ceiling and insulate. 

Any ideas on cool lighting?  I think lighting from underneath looks great but not sure how to implement without building a raised floor or stage, which seems a bit overkill.  Lighting can really set the vibe for jamming and now's the time to do it right before the joists are hard to get to.

dogfood

x100b is all tube with ss added to the pre section for more "hot rodding" not Judas Priest Hot Rocking.  And, Laneys don't pop up very often and not at bargain prices.
Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on June 04, 2014, 08:20:41 AMLaney

Any particular models?

Quote from: dogfood on June 04, 2014, 11:07:15 AM
x100b is all tube with ss added to the pre section for more "hot rodding" not Judas Priest Hot Rocking.

I somehow never read this before but it makes sense as the full up distortion sound isn't all that rich sounding. The clean channel is very nice though.

Quote from: dogfood on June 04, 2014, 11:07:15 AM
And, Laneys don't pop up very often and not at bargain prices.

GH50s go for $300 something on ebay but they don't have a true clean channel.

My friend doesn't think a Classic 50 will have enough balls for him so for budget amps I think his best bet is a XXX.