Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Does "40lbs" make your vagina quiver?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

I'm seeing mention of speaker 'power compression' on some forums. Is this anything guitar players who tune low and use tube amps should be concerned about? To me the message is- make sure your speakers have enough watt headroom to avoid an eventual reduction in volume that turning up your amp won't solve. I'm probably getting this completely wrong though.

edit: http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/power-compression/

I think I may have experienced this with SS amps half way or two thirds of the way through practice.

jibberish

^ I wonder if there was a way to easily monitor the overall impedance the speaker system is showing to the amp.  it would be cool to wire dangerous 2 ohm or less loads when cold that slide right into the perfect 4 ohm zone when they "warm up". there could be a "pre-heater" circuit on the amp that just rams some dc or something through to warm those beotches up until the correct impedance shows on the monitor thingy-bob-adoo....

headroom.  I say it all th etime, IMO,can't have enough.  amp power , per dollar, is cheaper than mambo speakers.

also, another essential thing is to shelf off the deepest bass hard, like permit nothing below maybe 30-40hz through at all.   playing a sub harmonic noise takes incredible power and opens the door for big IM distortion on higher freq material, so bad bad bad.

this is kind of fun watching you come to conclusions regarding developing your system. you are keeping me thinking right along with your adventure.

what if you had a stack of 1 x 12 combo amp sized cabs. each weighs some dipshit 20#, has nice handle on top, you have some tricky stacking trick for the performance
build one every couple of evenings. small areas of wood are easier to keep from flexing, so smaller cabs are easier to built stoutly.

liquidsmoke

Regarding this power compression, just pretend I'm not thinking about getting different cabs. Anyone at any time could wonder about it.

I hear you on the low end thing. Had my SS power amp running the other day and it's very easy to get the clip warning light to come on just by turning up the preamp's bass knob.

VOLVO)))

My poweramp clip light stays on. Just for reference.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 05, 2014, 12:13:24 PM

And you aren't concerned about speaker damage? The manual for my SoundTech says "It is NOT acceptable to operate your amplifier with this LED flashing excessively. Operation in this manner is harmful to your speakers, regardless of their power capacity". I was often obviously clipping with my Ampeg SS-150 and I'm pretty sure it never harmed my speakers. That amp sounded really warm for SS. No peak indicator LED on it.

I'm quite happy playing through tube amps at the moment but for future reference I'd like to have a better understanding of SS clipping. Is there any way to know for sure if your speakers are overheating when they are clipping before damage starts to occur?

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 03, 2014, 06:09:00 PM
A 40 lb 4x10 bass cab? Whoa. I didn't know they were that light with neos.

Generally after gigs we all go our separate ways in my band. Sometimes we meet up the next day to load the cabs in, sometimes we don't. Lighter is better but not essential. I just sold my motorcycle and got my tax return so..

ya Gallien had em, but their current lightweight 410s are a little heavier

same here, I mean in Austin original bands do not gig that often as there are tons of bands here.  Doom/sludge bands gig like once every two months.  and no basements.  many rent rehearsal rooms.  it all ads up to me lifting gear up and down the stairway to my second story apartment building, so I am saving up for lightweight gear and a roland vdrums and jamhub for rehearsals/gigs/recording.

RacerX

^
Needs to trade in his sleeveless vest for a skirt.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Ported guitar cabs. Silly? Awesome? Discuss.

(yes I'm pondering them but there is no need to be alarmed, everything will be okay)

Jake

Having owned both ported and sealed 4x12s, I much prefer a sealed guitar cab.

I like to let the bass guitar/rig hit on those frequencies. Plus, the sealed cabs just project much tighter and focused.
poop.

liquidsmoke

Makes sense. Tight focus is what I like.

everdrone

Im on a budget with a vintage 1999 corrolla :) so no 412s   :D

...sleeveless vest purchase with ebay doom band patches  :o still pending FOR THE ULTRA HEAVY DOOM/SLUDGE/FUSION/THRASH MAYHEMS OF DESTRUCTION!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Danny G

Block and tackle to help get gear up/down said stairs? \m/,
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

Corrollas ain't doom, you need a Real Man Truck and Big Muscles.

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 05, 2014, 03:02:41 PM

Nah, you need only a hatchback, a handtruck, and the knowledge of how to lift properly.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

If all else fails you just rope the cabs up stairs with your ZZ Doom Beard and powerful neck muscles.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 05, 2014, 02:13:33 AM
I'm seeing mention of speaker 'power compression' on some forums. Is this anything guitar players who tune low and use tube amps should be concerned about? To me the message is- make sure your speakers have enough watt headroom to avoid an eventual reduction in volume that turning up your amp won't solve. I'm probably getting this completely wrong though.

edit: http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/power-compression/

I think I may have experienced this with SS amps half way or two thirds of the way through practice.

Half way through practice stuff is probably your ears going, rather than speakers. Amp's power section compressing is going to be most of it, guitar speakers aren't doing subwoofer work and aren't even vaguely attempting to be linear anyway. Power compression is kind of a concern for bass, but neo drivers have loads better heatsinking so it isn't a current concern any more.

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 05, 2014, 03:17:28 PM
If all else fails you just rope the cabs up stairs with your ZZ Doom Beard and powerful neck muscles.

::)

One person takes the front, one the rear, & then you both use your leg muscles to climb the stairs.
Livin' The Life.

everdrone

lolerz!  Block and tackle two 100 pound orange cabs with a beard and put em into a hatchback :)  ur right I need bigger muscles like u know who

in reality it is possible with a moving truck and two people, its just like moving a couch or refrigerator

justJon

Quote from: RacerX on May 05, 2014, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 05, 2014, 03:02:41 PM

Nah, you need only a hatchback, a handtruck, and the knowledge of how to lift properly.

...And a drummer who outweighs you by about 50%!! ;)
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

RacerX

Right? Truthfully, I haven't owned a hatchback for quite a few years.

Then again, I haven't had a drummer who outweighs me by 50% for almost as long.

Hopefully, that will change soon, however.  ;)
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 05, 2014, 12:42:00 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on May 05, 2014, 12:13:24 PM

And you aren't concerned about speaker damage? The manual for my SoundTech says "It is NOT acceptable to operate your amplifier with this LED flashing excessively. Operation in this manner is harmful to your speakers, regardless of their power capacity". I was often obviously clipping with my Ampeg SS-150 and I'm pretty sure it never harmed my speakers. That amp sounded really warm for SS. No peak indicator LED on it.

I'm quite happy playing through tube amps at the moment but for future reference I'd like to have a better understanding of SS clipping. Is there any way to know for sure if your speakers are overheating when they are clipping before damage starts to occur?

Are you sure you aren't a woman? Manuals? The fuck!?

I don't give a fuck about speaker damage. If your impedances match, and the speakers are rated properly, you should never be able to hurt a speaker. Most damage comes from improper matches, over powering, poorly designed enclosures, poorly built speakers or user error.

You think too much, if you break something, it wasn't up to snuff. You dig?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Also, all distortion = clipping

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

FOCUS ON SONGS

/dude whose last band didn't do that   ;D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"