The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Quote from: agent of change on April 05, 2014, 09:29:42 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 05, 2014, 12:29:41 AM
Saying 8 or 9 when the show starts at 10 or 10:30. Discuss. I don't like it. I like when people help the bar out by buying drinks but..

We learned long ago to never tell people the time the show actually starts, or the actual time we'd be going on, because 1) people are usually late and will miss half your set or 2) the club will switch your slot earlier and people will miss your set. Now we just say "doors open at 9" or some equivalent.

I try to remember to tell people that our time could get switched due to unforeseen circumstances. Some people work late, have other stuff going on, etc and are more likely in some cases to come if they know exactly when you are playing. We like say think 'fuck the people that won't stay and see all the bands' but it's often not possible for people to do that.

liquidsmoke

We are playing an unheated warehouse venue tonight. It's about 50 right now but by show time(and we go on first) the outside temp could be 35. I'm going to wear layers and a warm hat, anyone have any other tips? I'm the type who gets cold hands and toes even when my head and core are warm. I will do my best but it's harder to fret with numb or half numb fingers.

Lumpy

Quote from: mortlock on April 05, 2014, 12:34:21 AM
I prefer a show that starts on time. especially if theres a lot of bands playing..
I hate when bands take too long between sets to start playing..

Me too. There's nothing more boring than standing around a dank club waiting for dudes to get their shit together. It might seem fun in your early 20's (I'm in a bar/warehouse!) but when you've done it for a few years, the charm wears thin. I want shows to be over around midnight, or even earlier.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

I've seen some ads like this...

Ad For Drummer Personally Attacks Old Drummer

WENATCHEE, WA—While announcing the group's search for a new drummer, an ad posted in a music shop Wednesday by local post-hardcore band Machu Picchu appeared to attack both the character and abilities of its last drummer. "Band seeks drummer who can actually keep the beat and show up to practice without fucking complaining about it all the time," read the flyer, which also stated that candidates should own their own drum kit, not be in any other bands, and not be "the kind of jerk who never helps us move the amps when the show's over but still has the nerve to ask for a ride home." "We need someone who won't sit there playing a bunch of loud fills while we're trying to tune up and then fail to find the fucking two and four when it's time to start the song. And seriously, don't storm off in anger just because Joel says you came in too early." The ad went on to specify that if a potential drummer has a girlfriend, that's fine, but if "you start missing shows because her parents are visiting and she wants you to go out to dinner with them, then it's time to man up and just tell Cindy to fuck off."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ad-for-drummer-personally-attacks-old-drummer,31911/

Omlet

I think I finally grew up to search for some dudes to play some primitive, repetitive and hypnotic stoner/doom, in vein of Acid King or Om. Unfortunately: a) I'm not a very skilled player b) I highly doubt that anyone I know wants to play something like this c) my shitty city is full of thrash metal bands and only one stoner band :D But well, I love to play music, even if I suck at it lol and I hope that maybe I'll be lucky and able to find at least one person who want to play something like this. Closest guy who was interested lives 400 kilometers away :D

Lumpy

Can you meet some good musicians, and convince them of your vision? Get them to fulfill a role, even temporarily?

Or how about taking the time to teach your friends how to play? It might take three years but that time will fly by.

RAGER

Maybe they could make it their second project and then they get so into it it's their primary one.  Who knows.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I'm running sound for an RnB band. Their drummer wasn't there, so I did the sound check on his kit, so after playing for a minute or two while my bud EQ'd and got levels, I stopped and the guitarist and bass player told me I was one of the loudest drummers they have ever heard.

Good or bad, I felt cool.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

People that don't play "our" kind of music always think "we" play too loud.  I had a guy on another forum a few years ago told me there was no where outside of a stadium that I could play with my Marshall or Orange dimed. :D
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

lol, yeah those kind of people just don't get it. I think it' funny when those same people claim to play hard rock or "heavy". Pussies.

That being said, sometimes you can influence them or at least open their eyes a little. Not all squares are destined to stay that way. If not for guys like us, they might never get an opportunity to witness real heavy.
CV - Slender Fungus

VOLVO)))

Too much computer for me. I don't like running this type of shit... Shit i can't fix on my own.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Yeah. They get crazy over one foot triplets and shit which I did a bunch of at full force volume. This dude plays heel down.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No fuckin power in that and talk about a good way to get fatigued.  I guess you could just tap your foot.  ???
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

That's what he was doing, for sure. His drums sounded alright.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

drunk bullshit, edited

jibberish

^haha. I got a laugh out of it. you should have left it. automatic pass for slobberknocker faceroll typing.

if I was bigshot millionaire I would buy this for racer x. I think he would put it to some cool use at some high elevation.
liquid, repeat after me "SCROLL!"

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/4384984375.html

VOLVO)))

Woh, that is an amazing guitar.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

No shit. I'd play the fuck outta that swirly little bugger.

Looks like a Mandola body with a guitar neck.
Livin' The Life.

everdrone

Quote from: Omlet on April 05, 2014, 06:01:31 PM
I think I finally grew up to search for some dudes to play some primitive, repetitive and hypnotic stoner/doom, in vein of Acid King or Om. Unfortunately: a) I'm not a very skilled player b) I highly doubt that anyone I know wants to play something like this 

next step once you have the band is to find fans :)  I am a very moderate guitarist so my vision is to play bass in a band that encompasses less repetitiveness and build up my chops and practice with fretlight

then I will have skills to slice and dice

also I am saving for roland vdrums, then I can produce my own albums at my apartment and with jamhub can have practices there at low volumes :)  that oughta recruit some good musicians for my musical vision of heavy/doom/sludge

here emo and certain extreme metal bands are popular, but the cycle revolves hopefully back to blues and heavy rock :)

Omlet

Probably tomorrow ill meet up with the guy who is interested in playing something. I was positively surprised that he contacted me today and wants to talk about playing just tomorrow - the last dude was unable to meet up for three weeks or sth - actually we never met each other :F

BTW i asked a dude who is making a stompboxes about the meathead copy and he said that with custom graphics it will cost me 140 zl, which is about... 45 bucks :D
as far as i know guy is pretty good at it - lots of people have prdered a isp decimator copies from him and were satisfied with results.

Lumpy

Ask your stompbox guy if he recommends a Meathead Dark (umm, darker) or Meathead Deluxe for you (more knobs for tone shaping). He might be able to recommend a version for you, if you tell him what you're trying to do.

Omlet

I will ask him but probably he will not know :D aside of effects building he's more into djent and other sterile and overproduced technical stuff than some dirty primitive soundwalls ...

100 posts? Uhh :D

justJon

"Dirty, primitive sound walls." I like that. That may be the best description I've ever heard of what I/we are trying to do here. I'll steal that, if you don't mind!
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

AgentofOblivion

Quote from: Lumpy on April 04, 2014, 09:42:03 PM
Quote from: AgentofOblivion on April 04, 2014, 01:40:40 PM
My first and only fuzz I've owned is the Earthquaker Devices Hoof.  I've found that unless I'm running it into a super clean channel, it's basically useless in a live setting.  It sounds great, but you can't hear it for shit in the mix.  I don't know if this is a fuzz thing in general, or something with this pedal.  I've tweaked the knobs endlessly but no matter what the guys always say, "Did something cut out?  I couldn't hear you," and the guys NEVER say that.  I don't use a multi-channel amp and therefore typically don't have a super clean channel available to me, so the pedal is basically useless.  I guess this means it's for sale. 

i think it is indeed a "fuzz thing in general". Lots of fuzzes sound awesome solo, but you disappear in a band setting, or they start sounding horrible through a loud amp. Standard variety Big Muffs are especially bad at getting muddy, IMO. Check out a Meathead (there are clones around) or any kind of Superfuzz variant. The Superfuzzes seem to have tons of fuzzy texture but seem to retain note definition. Meatheads too. Superfuzzes may be slightly too retro/60's sounding for your tastes, YMMV. Meatheads sound vicious and fairly modern IMO. Mud seems to be the enemy here. You can definitely find a fuzz that suits you though. Just depends on what you need it to do, what your playing style is, etc.

Interesting.  I love the tone of the Truckfighters, but when I read up on the gear they use it's just a Russian Muff with one of the knobs hard-wired to 10 or something.  Maybe they run it into a clean channel?  I think you're right though, the solution is to just buy more fuzz pedals  :)

Lumpy

Everybody's into different stuff here, some of you guys like chugga chugga metal, other people like long sustained doom, etc. Those people need different fuzzes IMO.