The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omlet

Did I mention that I already love my tele? Its tone with big muff is fucking amazing... but I want to try more stompboxes :D

Can you recommend me some good fuzz box? Is swollen pickle worth buying it? Or maybe should I try something different / more expensive, such as Fuzz Factory or sth?

agent of change

My guitarist LOVES his Swollen Pickle pedal. It's definitely a sludge/stoner tone, low and thick with scooped mids.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

Omlet

So probably I'll give it a try, unfortunately they are rather pricey here, at least for me :(

BTW: dude who posted a review of my drone/doom project in the Polish internets wants to do an interview with me. I'm flattered :D

Instant Dan

I would get my hands on a BAT Pharaoh. I recently just got one in a trade from a fellow SRLer and I love it. Sludge heaven.

When stacked with my OCD, it gets some great sounds

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Omlet

Uhh they are hardly available in Europe - nothing outside of Ebay and shipping is rather expensive for it...

AgentofOblivion

We're almost always the least-heavy band on the bill and I don't like that.  Mainly because the people that are coming to see us are usually stretching the amount of heaviness they accept anyway, so they're pretty much guaranteed to not like the other bands (and therefore not enjoy themselves that much). 

But deep down inside I think it's probably more the case that I don't like much heavier music, with a few exceptions, and I almost always think they suck live for tonal reasons if nothing else.  And then I project my bummer point of view on hypothetical fans.

Lumpy

Quote from: Omlet on April 03, 2014, 12:48:04 PM
Did I mention that I already love my tele? Its tone with big muff is fucking amazing... but I want to try more stompboxes :D

Can you recommend me some good fuzz box? Is swollen pickle worth buying it? Or maybe should I try something different / more expensive, such as Fuzz Factory or sth?

Fuzz Factory does a lot of different things, but it's not really a heavy stoner doom pedal IMO. More on the 60s side (and can get weird too).

If you can get a Swollen Pickle in your area, then maybe look into the Fat Sandwich (same manufacturer). I haven't owned it, but it seems to have the right sounds.

See if these are available near you: Meathead, Barber Trifecta, Supercollider. Also, a lot of people use the Rat and different Rat variations.

If you're on a budget, some of these pedals have been cloned. Especially the Rat.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

You're in Europe—what about a Meathead Dark?
Livin' The Life.

MichaelZodiac

I think a Russian Big Muff might be more the hot thing in your area, no?  ;D

We got 3 jams locked down, looking for a studio now so we can book 2 days to record a first ep. This is terrifying and awesome at the same time, I've never gotten this far with a band before. Only had projects that recorded rehearsals but not anything else. Also asking around for experiences. We need a live room that can track bass and drums at the same time since we're more of space rock/jam band anyway and I want to keep that live feel. It's for a tape/digital as well so it doesn't have to be immensely hifi. In the meantime, our synth guy still is busy with his work, not really sure if he still wants to do it so might ask someone else to try out.

/bandblog
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

BrianDamage

The swollen pickle is my favorite fuzz for guitar. The "secret" to getting rad tones are the trim pots inside the pedal housing. Speaking of pedals I picked up the behringer sansamp knock off. This thing sounds awesome as fuck. In just a couple of minutes I was able to get a killer Dale Peters tone. I also was able to get some Geddy Lee and Lemmy style sounds pretty quickly and with a precision bass.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

liquidsmoke

The Meathead is the most insane fuzz I've ever heard. It will do '60s to over the top mega sludge tones. You plug it in, crank it up, and your guitar basically plays itself.

everdrone

I will vouch for the Black Arts Pharaoh, I dig mine :)  clips of it used in conjunction with my tech21Oxford/IRs are in my sig

fallen

All depends on the amp right?

With an Marshall-ish amp that has some scoop to it the Pharaoh adds in those missing mid frequencies and sounds amazing.

With a Fender-ish amp I like the Black Forest a lot better. Then stack a fuzz face or something in front of it.

AgentofOblivion

My first and only fuzz I've owned is the Earthquaker Devices Hoof.  I've found that unless I'm running it into a super clean channel, it's basically useless in a live setting.  It sounds great, but you can't hear it for shit in the mix.  I don't know if this is a fuzz thing in general, or something with this pedal.  I've tweaked the knobs endlessly but no matter what the guys always say, "Did something cut out?  I couldn't hear you," and the guys NEVER say that.  I don't use a multi-channel amp and therefore typically don't have a super clean channel available to me, so the pedal is basically useless.  I guess this means it's for sale. 

RAGER

Maybe keep it for recording only.
No Focus Pocus

Omlet

I plan to buy a Laney gh amp + marshall 1960, just because they are fucking cheap :D But im not sure if i mana ge fo find anyone to play stoner  doom here so everything may become irrelevant :/

Fuck, im drunk. 1.30 am here so i guess i'll go to sleep :F

RAGER

Meet up with CL responder went good last night so Sunday we jam.  We'll see.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on April 04, 2014, 01:40:40 PM
My first and only fuzz I've owned is the Earthquaker Devices Hoof.  I've found that unless I'm running it into a super clean channel, it's basically useless in a live setting.  It sounds great, but you can't hear it for shit in the mix.  I don't know if this is a fuzz thing in general, or something with this pedal.  I've tweaked the knobs endlessly but no matter what the guys always say, "Did something cut out?  I couldn't hear you," and the guys NEVER say that.  I don't use a multi-channel amp and therefore typically don't have a super clean channel available to me, so the pedal is basically useless.  I guess this means it's for sale. 

i think it is indeed a "fuzz thing in general". Lots of fuzzes sound awesome solo, but you disappear in a band setting, or they start sounding horrible through a loud amp. Standard variety Big Muffs are especially bad at getting muddy, IMO. Check out a Meathead (there are clones around) or any kind of Superfuzz variant. The Superfuzzes seem to have tons of fuzzy texture but seem to retain note definition. Meatheads too. Superfuzzes may be slightly too retro/60's sounding for your tastes, YMMV. Meatheads sound vicious and fairly modern IMO. Mud seems to be the enemy here. You can definitely find a fuzz that suits you though. Just depends on what you need it to do, what your playing style is, etc.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Saying 8 or 9 when the show starts at 10 or 10:30. Discuss. I don't like it. I like when people help the bar out by buying drinks but..

mortlock

I prefer a show that starts on time. especially if theres a lot of bands playing..
I hate when bands take too long between sets to start playing..

liquidsmoke

I hear ya there. I meant more when the Facebook event page/flyers say one time but they never intended the show to start at that time.

BrianDamage

First jam with the new power trio last night. The other two guys are dudes I have been jamming with off and on since we were teenagers so we already know we work well together. Sounded good and heavy. Basically did a few covers just to get going and then jammed on some original ideas. Haven't played with anyone in a couple of years and I gotta say it felt awesome to rock at full volume again.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

agent of change

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 05, 2014, 12:29:41 AM
Saying 8 or 9 when the show starts at 10 or 10:30. Discuss. I don't like it. I like when people help the bar out by buying drinks but..

We learned long ago to never tell people the time the show actually starts, or the actual time we'd be going on, because 1) people are usually late and will miss half your set or 2) the club will switch your slot earlier and people will miss your set. Now we just say "doors open at 9" or some equivalent.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

Omlet

I guess I'll try to grab a Meathead copy... One knob = pure win :D