The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianDamage

So for the past few days I have been playing along with some Iron Maiden tunes. It has made me realize that Steve Harris was a way bigger influence on my playing than I thought. Which is a nice way of saying most of my style is a direct rip off of stuff ol 'Arry did back in the 80's.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Lumpy

Steve Harris is indeed bad ass, now try playing that shit while running around  :o

Here's a video with Buzz talking about general stuff and "Revolve", sorry if it's been posted already:
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Cramming before gigs is boring as fuck.

mortlock

I was never a big steve harris fan. im not going to deny his contributions to metal bass playing but there were/are much better metal players out there.

eyeprod

I'm a fan for sure. Feel like watching some Maiden vids now, thanks.
CV - Slender Fungus

Lumpy

His bass lines don't move me (I'm not really an IM fan in general) but physically he is a powerhouse, especially his right hand (plucking? hand). He is relentlessly hammering the strings. While he's running around the stage.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

it seems many of the best musicians would have been great athletes as well. I know a chick who blew steve harris on his football field on his property in England. 

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mortlock on March 25, 2014, 02:01:28 AM
I know a chick who blew steve harris on his football field on his property in England. 

That's pretty awesome.

mutantcolors

Played a Hofner from the 70s I think, just like this for about 4 notes today, immediately put it back so I wouldn't start looking for $800. I've never heard an acoustic sound that good.

RAGER

I put up an ad on CL for some Electronic collaboration about a week ago and have heard exactly nothing yet.  Too bad I don't want to play 90's rock covers or blues shit cuz there's plenty of that.
No Focus Pocus

Danny G

Whelp my Acoustic B200H is back to being a doorstop.

Was worth a shot getting it fixed but seems this amp can't hang. Not reliable = not worth trying to fix.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

"Can I underpower my speakers?Will clipping hurt them?"
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1886

This actually makes some sense to me.

liquidsmoke

Thinking that 800 watts bridged into a loud 8 ohm 4x10(Avatar maybe) should be enough to balance out two 2x12s on the guitar side. More speaker than that would probably involve needing to borrow a truck for gigs anyway.

everdrone

drummer from the heavy rock cover band quit, so my audition got cancelled

singer that said he would record a song with me and send me the track and form a band talked a lot but never emailed and disappeared

on the bright side I am practicing a lot more and

I just upgraded my fretlight to a better fretlight model, and this weekend will go to an Austin store to get professional setups on my guitars and maybe rewiring to make my Gibson SG standard more quiet with the pickups

Jake

What model Fleshlight are you using now?
poop.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on March 26, 2014, 02:47:14 PM
drummer from the heavy rock cover band quit, so my audition got cancelled

singer that said he would record a song with me and send me the track and form a band talked a lot but never emailed and disappeared

on the bright side I am practicing a lot more and

I just upgraded my fretlight to a better fretlight model, and this weekend will go to an Austin store to get professional setups on my guitars and maybe rewiring to make my Gibson SG standard more quiet with the pickups

What fretlight? Have you tried adjusting the volume knobs and lowering the pups?

everdrone

ya thanks those are good suggestions and I tried them, its the Gibson SG Standard that is making the extra noise

Omlet

Fuck. I ordered a second-hand guitar that was available in online store. I sat down to make a bank transfer but I thought "I must check if they removed it from the list to make sure it is not a scam". And what happened? Store's site is down. It's rather well-known Polish online music store (not the best one but surely not the worst) but hell, now I'm getting paranoid. I'll call them tomorrow morning to make sure everything is OK.

Damn, everything is getting more and more complicated :D

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on March 26, 2014, 03:16:17 PM
ya thanks those are good suggestions and I tried them, its the Gibson SG Standard that is making the extra noise

Bad noise? Like beyond normal moderate or higher output pickup tone? Fret buzz maybe? Electric guitars are a loud mess to me. Everything has to be just so or shit is going crazy and sounding like a trash can.

Danny G

Have you tried plugging the amp into a few diff electrical outlets?

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

I cut the whole pup selector switch out of the guts of my LP and direct wired each pup to its own output jack with its own tone and vol only. that thing is dead  silent now.(drilled a hole in the backplate for the wire to the second jack)

I can also run each pup to an entirely different rig to do crazy LOCO H, and even I with an occasional J , K?       (well ok lots of j's)

so I channeled elektrohaze:

bwang!  b string breaks on hagstrom, no problem, whup out the paul
bwang: e string breaks

whup out the tele     STOP

can't touch this

have to tune that one first haha. killed my roll. 

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on March 26, 2014, 04:40:50 AM
"Can I underpower my speakers?Will clipping hurt them?"
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1886

This actually makes some sense to me.

he dumbed the explanation down too much to pure theoretical. ok for guitar speakers

big capacitors are used in the powersupply for extra instantaneous shmoltz to play peaks clean. called "instantaneaous headroom". this is cheating and dude never mentions that most amps do this.  +6db of schmoltz will vaporize a tweeter voice coil wire when it gets thru the crossover cap as a harmonic of something huge.

he makes no mention of real world issues like tweeters having super fine voice coil wire, except they are mixed in a multispeaker array with heavier duty speakers.
I guarantee you massive high powered harmonic distortion will melt your tweeters right thru the crossovers. I have seen it so many times.
I have also seen and burned up tweeters with sheer overpower. they fail differently

my mantra always was "clipping kills tweeters" especially since I saw that reality enough.

from a music speaker 12in super-midrange guitar speaker point of view. ya, if the speaker can take the solid rail power, you cant hurt it with that amp

but , this is a music instrument speaker vs music REPRODUCTION speaker issue.    you see piezo tweeters a lot in music gear. those are tough as nails. you rarely see a piezo in music reproduction because relatively, they sound like ass.

conclusion :     caveat: stereo speaker tweeters are the exception and definitely get killed by clipping and general overpowered harmonics

jibberish

I will always take way overpowered amps to just enough always.  my sound is way bigger and cleaner/more present than others because I have so much clean headroom beyond my playing volume. the whole game is current flow. I prefer to drive my Porsche, even in the school zone.

here is the deal everyone seems to shit the bed over:

"OHHHH 1000watts a channel that will blow the whole thing up!!" you cant use that!"

wrong. you cant use all 1000watts until the speaker catches fire, but average decent volume listening level is 1watt cont, maybe 10 watt cont if you are jamming out pretty good.  the 1000watt amp can play that level too, just like the 100watt amp. but catch a 20db digital peak and the 1000w amp will excel whereas the 100watt amp may be getting close to the end of its reserve power, even an instantaneous peak. btw, +20dB on a 10w cont is 1000w.

edit: danny g knows the downside of running an underpowered bass head  at 100% all the time too.  make that circuit shove its max current for long periods of time.

you need the 1000 watt acoustic head to play at the very same volume the b200 was played at. then the head will not die so quick due to component failure since it is playing with 6-7 db more headroom, and is not pushing its current flow limits(and related heat dissipation ability since no semiconductor junction is 100% efficient).

seriously, both you guys are casually just running your amps as maxxed out as you can get away with. or not get away with....