The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Gotta remove the S in your HTTP (forum adds it for some reason)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mutantcolors

Yeah I did. Along with having to remove the playlist attachment, and yet it still sucked.

Metal and Beer

I fixed it. In the future just post the raw code, not the whole URL (Mutant, you can go look now and see the repair I did if you desire)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

We now have almost enough material for 2 half hour sets and for the next month will be mostly rehearsing our already planned set for the next gig. This might be a beginner level idea but I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm often a nervous wreck live but this next one is bound to feel more relaxed because we will be more on top of the material and song order than normal. The only catch is that we'll be playing in a warehouse with no heat so hopefully it won't be like 40 degrees in there. With some luck spring will be raging.

JemDooM

We played a two day fest on Sunday, got absolutely hammered the night before because of drinking all day and with Orange Goblin headlining we all went pretty wild, shots and all! so on our day I was sick as hell, about an hour before our set one of the organisers asked how we'd like our lighting we said very dark/red (usual) every band all day had that exact lighting anyway so we said that was spot on, then when it came to our set and we'd finished setting up we stood there onstage waiting for them to turn these extremely bright blue/pink/white lights off, they lit up the entire place including the crowd (we must have looked like total planks standing there doing nothing for ages waiting) until eventually the sound guy says through the PA, you can start now, we said we were waiting for the lights and he replied, iv got no control over these this is all you've got !! so everyone had dark mood enhancing lights and we played in an uncomfortably bright room for reasons I still do not know, felt sooooo self conscious, I needed all the help I could get on such a hangover, we just got our heads down and plowed through and I tried my best to stay in the zone but even with my eyes closed it was blindingly bright, I'm disappointed as it threw me off hard as I tried, after us every band was all dark again....other than that it was an awesome weekend, Orange Goblin have always been one of my top live bands, they cause a total riot every time!
DooM!

RAGER

I used to hang out up in the sound booth at this club once in a while and get stoned with the chick that ran the board.  if the re was a band she didn't like she say "watch this" and then she'd turn on this bright blue and green light on the drummer cook him out.  it was kinda funny but she was kind of a bitch too.  I hope that wasn't the case with you guys Jem.  That's a dick move.
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

Yeah that's a mean move! not very professional! I think it was just dumbass crossed wires, we've been meaning to buy a couple of red floor lights of our own so that was a good reminder to get them soon!
DooM!

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RAGER on March 04, 2014, 02:39:49 PM
I used to hang out up in the sound booth at this club once in a while and get stoned with the chick that ran the board.  if the re was a band she didn't like she say "watch this" and then she'd turn on this bright blue and green light on the drummer cook him out.  it was kinda funny but she was kind of a bitch too.  I hope that wasn't the case with you guys Jem.  That's a dick move.

How did the bands react?

This is the type of idiot you fling cum on Silence of the Lambs style. Cook on some cum bitch.

spookstrickland

I used to ask for bright lights...never bothered me.....but I'm sure they were doing that to piss you off.  Fuck them just play louder and detune a few random strings and rock on until his ears are bleeding LOL
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

mortlock

they were trying to cook the alcohol out of your bodies. they were just trying to help with the hangover.. hahha

liquidsmoke

Quote from: JemDooM on March 04, 2014, 01:54:18 PM
We played a two day fest on Sunday, got absolutely hammered the night before because of drinking all day and with Orange Goblin headlining we all went pretty wild, shots and all! so on our day I was sick as hell, about an hour before our set one of the organisers asked how we'd like our lighting we said very dark/red (usual) every band all day had that exact lighting anyway so we said that was spot on, then when it came to our set and we'd finished setting up we stood there onstage waiting for them to turn these extremely bright blue/pink/white lights off, they lit up the entire place including the crowd (we must have looked like total planks standing there doing nothing for ages waiting) until eventually the sound guy says through the PA, you can start now, we said we were waiting for the lights and he replied, iv got no control over these this is all you've got !! so everyone had dark mood enhancing lights and we played in an uncomfortably bright room for reasons I still do not know, felt sooooo self conscious, I needed all the help I could get on such a hangover, we just got our heads down and plowed through and I tried my best to stay in the zone but even with my eyes closed it was blindingly bright, I'm disappointed as it threw me off hard as I tried, after us every band was all dark again....other than that it was an awesome weekend, Orange Goblin have always been one of my top live bands, they cause a total riot every time!

This sounds fishy and I can imagine that it sucked all the worse hungover. What was the name of the fest?

JemDooM

FOAD (Fuck off and die) FEST

It was a beast of a fest, Desecration and Winterfylleth were amazing, Satanic Dystopia and Basement Torture Killings are excellent too check em out if you like your brutal stuff!
DooM!

Jake

Whoa. How was Gurt? As a dude with a beard with a cat, I especially love this video.

poop.

JemDooM

hehe ;) I didn't see em! not a fan im afraid...

DooM!

liquidsmoke

Sold a pair of used Eminence Governors for $127 on ebay, not bad.

RAGER

Had a bass player over today to play drums with. He wa a novice so I was quite bored right away. Played with his fingers and just didn't dig in enough to cut through.

On another note, earlier I went to my local synth shop and had they had a monotribe in stock I would have bought one. He tried to sell me on the volca beats but I like the monotribe.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Bass amp wasn't loud enough? Some people think you should play the bass strings somewhat lightly, and let the amp do the work getting volume. Because (for example) when the strings are vibrating wildly from playing hard, that's not as pure of a tone as a medium-energy plucked bass string. Etc.

Not trying to argue, I didn't witness his wimpy non-rocking attack. Just presenting an alternative possibility.

RAGER

Super twin into my 8x10. Plenty loud enough. He had some pedal board all in one thing like a Whammy thing muddying up the works. Meh. Nice guy I've known for a long time but not a prospect by any means.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I should add too that I'm not even a real drummer so I probably don't hit as hard as a good drummer so I def should have been able to hear him if he dug in a bit.
No Focus Pocus

Danny G

Final Ocean of Stars rehearsal for SXSW. All systems are go to rock some ass.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

mutantcolors

I was listening to that earlier on bandcamp, very fun/cool stuff.

Danny G

Thanks man \m/,

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

shit weather is conducive to taking care of lots of indoor stuff.   getting back to work finishing the music/recording room.  all that is left is the "Whole Room Wire Dressing" issues.    AC/signal cables/speaker wires/lighting.   I want to stealth the wires out of sight so it looks better

I may actually have to run another 20amp circuit to spread all this shit out onto 2 circuits now that I am getting into some big amps, and will be getting more
(now i'm up to 750w/ch at 8 ohms, and it is going up to 1000w/ch = lots of amps draw)

I am matching amps to speakers. underpowering speakers when trying to play them loud is how to destroy speakers, so I need to upgrade some 100w/ch to 200-300w/ch for that 3-4db of extra headroom

the spaghetti factor is off the hook if I don't wrangle it into shape.

i'm stoked. this will look like a little ghetto version of those awesome studios in mix magazine. just have to keep pushing and accept as little compromise as I can

this is all still jake's fault with his "too much fun" basement.

jibberish

I am going to name my "Black Math Metal" band  "Autistic Einstein"

actually, for all I know, I MAY be THEE autistic Einstein haha

....shuddddup......

Lumpy

Quote from: jibberish on March 12, 2014, 10:37:30 PMunderpowering speakers when trying to play them loud is how to destroy speakers, so I need to upgrade some 100w/ch to 200-300w/ch for that 3-4db of extra headroom

You probably don't have to worry about that, IMO (pushing underpowered amps through into your speakers). Much more risky to over-power your speakers.