The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

ive been spending way too much looking at shit on discogs.

dogfood

Quote from: mutantcolors on February 22, 2014, 12:51:56 PM
Bose towers. Bald as fuck. White T. Black slacks. Parker Fly.

Sleep lost over not living up to your standards? Pretty fucking slim I bet.

I have absolute respect for what he does.  I just can't listen to it because I hate it.
Problem solving whiskey!

mutantcolors

That's cool. I was just watching it and got a laugh out of how many of these stonerrock.com fashion rules he was breaking at once.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

fallen

Quote from: RAGER on February 23, 2014, 08:37:51 PM
Pron

If you pushed that Orange out of the way I'd take this as a snapshot from the '70s. Right down to the color palette, the rug, the TV, the furniture, the bikes, the drums, the reel to reel... Seriously did someone photoshop that Tiny Terror combo into a 40 year old photo?

dogfood

I like the basement floor painted enamel gray.  Win.
Problem solving whiskey!

JemDooM

Haha fallen is right!! ;)

That's some good pr0n tho....
DooM!

Omlet

Got the review of my droney doomy stuff! :D

(it's in Polish and Google translate fucks it up, but here ya go if you want to read it: LINK)

Instant Dan

JemDooM

Woooo awesome omlet!! It translates pretty well I thought it was gonna be a bit mental like Russian translation tends to be!
DooM!

jibberish

that was a nice review they made for you.

rager, who's basement is that? that looks like every last one of my uncle and aunt's basements from when I was little. 

I totally get the same vibe from that basement.
the tv set, the hula hoop for chrissakes. those bikes.  that nasty furniture, the weird 1979 peavey meter bridge or wtf back there and a reel-to-reel it looks like.  drum carpets don't count. serious time capsule there.

liquidsmoke

Holy two shows on the same night Batman! I hope they can get this worked out.

AgentofOblivion

My first nice guitar I bought was a USA Gibson Explorer when I was about 11 years old...was (still am) a big Hetfield fan.  It's been through a few swaps...EMGs, back to originals, and I cut a diamond plate aluminum pickguard for it.  I'm older now, and less into metal and basically never play it.  I thought it would be cool to give it a make-over and make it more suitable to my current tastes, which is more bluesy doom stuff like Graveyard.  I pretty much only enjoy single coils these days so I thought getting some single coils in humbucker housings would be cool and found the Gibson P94's, which are basically P90's.  Instead of black/chrome/diamond plate I want to do black/gold/tortoise shell.  I FINALLY found a set of the black/gold P94s.  It took about 6 months.

Omlet

TV looks also quite old, but I'm not sure if old enough :D Post more pics of the tv so we can verify if it fits to that room :D

AgentofOblivion

Just found an all original (aside from a cap job), super clean 1965 blackface Twin Reverb for $1200.  Includes original footswitch and amp cover.  I feel like I should buy this even if I just end up selling it the next day.  Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love?  The question:  is the price and quality such that this is an investment-worthy piece?

fallen

Wow that Twin looks way too clean.

Haven't seen many 65 era Fenders that didn't have their corners all rusted although things tend to look more pristine in photos than they do in person.

In my opinion a Twin is a great platform but not anything super amazing on it's own. Perfect for running a ton of pedals into.

RacerX

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on February 25, 2014, 02:03:26 PM
Just found an all original (aside from a cap job), super clean 1965 blackface Twin Reverb for $1200.  Includes original footswitch and amp cover.  I feel like I should buy this even if I just end up selling it the next day.  Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love?  The question:  is the price and quality such that this is an investment-worthy piece?

I don't see the actual ad, but just a heads up: 'round these parts there have been a bunch of ads for ridiculously cheap gear using gmail "reply to" addies, which result in spam marketing once contacted. Usually there are photos but no city or area of town listed.
Livin' The Life.

AgentofOblivion

It DOES seem too good to be true.  And I didn't notice it before, but there's not a part of town listed.  We'll see...  Hopefully I don't get murdered if I go to look at it.  If I stop posting soon, you'll know what happened.

RAGER

Quote from: Omlet on February 25, 2014, 01:49:18 PM
TV looks also quite old, but I'm not sure if old enough :D Post more pics of the tv so we can verify if it fits to that room :D

:D ;D  That's just some pron.  It's one of my buddy's amps in his basement.  He's def a 70's throwback through and through.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

I've been working in alternate (esp. open) tunings quite a bit. I have finally realized that if I tune to an open minor chord, all I have to do is add one finger to unflat the 5th and have a major chord.

Up until I made this discovery, I had been going through a lot of unnecessary gymnastics to form minor chords in open major tunings. This could be a huge development for me.
Livin' The Life.

fallen

I noticed this on lap steel too. If you tune major it's great for blues licks but hard to slant bar to get any minor thirds. On a minor tuning you can pull the third behind the bar to make a major and get some pedal steel like sounds.

I used to play a bunch of alternate tunings and it sounded great but in a band setting I was tuning a LOT between songs which was a pain.

I've been playing some acoustic stuff with a friend and have been getting into using a capo to change things up. Might be cool to experiment with adding a capo or partial capo to some open tunings.

jibberish

Quote from: RacerX on February 26, 2014, 01:36:29 PM
I've been working in alternate (esp. open) tunings quite a bit. I have finally realized that if I tune to an open minor chord, all I have to do is add one finger to unflat the 5th and have a major chord.

Up until I made this discovery, I had been going through a lot of unnecessary gymnastics to form minor chords in open major tunings. This could be a huge development for me.

what you said is perfectly clear.   to avoid anyone else's confusion, i just want to say, you meant to say "unflat the 3rd" to get the major. carry on.

mutantcolors

Taking up bass duties in a band that plays in drop C when I get home. I have a 5 string, gonna set the 4th to their low C. It's kinda fun figuring out what to do with the register below, I think I'll tune it A, which would be like std tuning relative to the 3rd string, or F which would be totally oddball but I think ultimately quite useful and interesting.

F
C
G
C
A

or

F
C
G
C
F

They both seem to have their potential. The band uses a load of magic box 0-3-5 stuff so I'm trying to find a tuning that takes that into account. Tuning std relative to the C gets redundant, GCGCF but doubling the high F that I'd hardly ever use makes more sense to me.

Daydreaming.

VOLVO)))

That's what i did with my 7 banger, C F Bb Eb G C c slightly flat
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

Looks like Neurosis tuning from C std to me, unless I misread.

My response elsewhere to someone telling a group of us you cannot get good tone without high dollar gear, and then dropping some over the top silly rig rundown on us:

"I play a selection of 1972 Gibson Les Paul Customs, all with maple fretboards for better articulation. I installed a middle pickup and 2 piezos for a total of 5 pickups, each of which has its own output that runs to a separate amp for true 5.1 surround sound. Bridge goes to the 1980 JCM 800 2204 – vertical inputs, not that horizontal bullshit – that runs two matched quads of pre-rola Celestion Greenbacks. Neck goes to an Ampeg V4 running a fridge, specifically chosen to compliment the smooth bass of that pickup. Middle pickup (which I never use, no one ever uses the middle pickup) goes to a 1970 Orange OR120 and matching 4x12 I bought of some stoner dude for 6 kilos of weed, currently running hand selected and matched tubes from Uzbekistan, a little known behemoth in the tubes industry who's quality cannot be matched to reproduce the low-mids of this particular amp. The piezos run through a fuck off huge assortment of rack gear I keep off stage because it doesn't look cool, and goes straight into the house PA, or a Bose tower I bring along just in case the house PA is not up to my ridiculous standards. I hide the Bose though, so no one thinks I'm some tool on stage with anything but the ultimate in vintage gear.
All my cabinets have been internally upgraded with an extra 1/8" sheet of solid oak, because that 1" birch plywood crap just can't handle my godlike tone without some help.

My newest addition to the family is an overdrive pedal with SI/GE diode switching capabilities so I can avoid unwanted high end fizz, depending on the natural acoustics of the particular room I am in on any given night.

All this gear shows that I am SERIOUS when I get up there and knock 'em dead with our screaming hot rendition of Mustang Sally. Check us out on the bar circuit, maybe you've heard of us...The Blues Lawyer Cover Band Quintet Trio Dad Band Project Theory."