The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on October 26, 2013, 05:19:43 PM
Move an inch or two back from the mic and you'll sound less weak, proximity effect can work for some people but generally just sounds weaker for most, plus with you lips up against the mic they aren't moving/opening as much as they should. Just like with guitars it's about moving air.

Ah. I'll give that a try.

MichaelZodiac

All of a sudden, we're a complete band. Drummer is switching to synths on his own insisting and we found another drummer. Never thought this would be so easy.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Instant Dan

I have been getting complaints about cranking my 800 the past few times.

I think I am finally going to break down, selly valve junior combo, and just one of Tiny Terror heads or Jet City ones.

RacerX

Quote from: Instant Dan on October 30, 2013, 10:22:14 AM

I think I am finally going to break down, selly valve junior combo, and just one of Tiny Terror heads or Jet City ones.

Can't you pull power tubes on an 800 to tame the volume?
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Yeah, then you can yell back at them that you have turned down approximately -3db.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Quote from: RAGER on October 30, 2013, 12:05:13 PM
Yeah, then you can yell back at them that you have turned down approximately -3db.

Exactly. 3 dB is an audible difference.
Livin' The Life.

AgentofOblivion

Quote from: Instant Dan on October 30, 2013, 10:22:14 AM

Get new band/audience/family/whoever members instead.

Chovie D

this forum needs a little spice, so boring lately.

RacerX

You want spice?

How about a guitar made of cinnamon wood?

http://www.guitar-muse.com/guitar-review-eric-joseph-cinnamon-wood-guitar-5628
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

didn't even think about cinnamon being a tree....far out maaan.

the diddler

My drummer's becoming a woman.  Chris is now Kristen.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

the diddler

yep, full-on hormone treatments and shit.  It's been going on for awhile- we're still having trouble adjusting our pronouns

JemDooM

that cinnamon guitar is sweet!!

hows the band going michael? :)

I have one of my busiest months for music yet, getting the album finished and off to James Plotkin, finishing recording and mixing for a split tape which we're self releasing in two weeks, making the jcard for said split spending probably 7+hours cutting and folding them all as like last time, the next two weekends practising with our drummer who lives over 2 hours away, a 5 day tour from Edinburgh to London, getting proper photography done, writing a press info pack as requested by the label, put together the design and artwork for the vinyl packaging and send everything off to the label for very early Dec, exciting and extremely busy times, totally did not plan for all this stuff to happen all at once! We're having Dec & Jan off completely but I'm looking forward to writing then, winter is a really inspiring time for doom :)
DooM!

mortlock

so my guitar player breaks out an old bc rich bass his brother gave him at our jam today as says to me.."you wanna do some dual bass shit". I have to say im fucking excited as hell with the results.. didn't see that coming  :)

James1214

Left field can be a cool place sometimes.
words

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: JemDooM on November 03, 2013, 01:45:45 PM
that cinnamon guitar is sweet!!

hows the band going michael? :)

I have one of my busiest months for music yet, getting the album finished and off to James Plotkin, finishing recording and mixing for a split tape which we're self releasing in two weeks, making the jcard for said split spending probably 7+hours cutting and folding them all as like last time, the next two weekends practising with our drummer who lives over 2 hours away, a 5 day tour from Edinburgh to London, getting proper photography done, writing a press info pack as requested by the label, put together the design and artwork for the vinyl packaging and send everything off to the label for very early Dec, exciting and extremely busy times, totally did not plan for all this stuff to happen all at once! We're having Dec & Jan off completely but I'm looking forward to writing then, winter is a really inspiring time for doom :)
Band's going slow because of lack of rehearsals (fuck work schedules). We should rehearse next weekend, hopefully it works out. In the meantime I've been writing riffs at home. I think I'm at 2 songs (each 7 minutes give or take) and a cool outro. If we could rehearse more often, I'd even wager that we could record a simple EP in January.  ;D

Your album plans sound exciting and fun! I can't even imagine the experience of getting something like that out, must be awesome and very rewarding.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Cursed71

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2F6iIDozWY&sns=em

The guitarist of this band sent my bassist this the other day.   Very well made and super hilarious!   Thought it might get some of your creative juices oozing.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Cursed71 on November 06, 2013, 03:40:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2F6iIDozWY&sns=em

The guitarist of this band sent my bassist this the other day.   Very well made and super hilarious!   Thought it might get some of your creative juices oozing.

I like the song. That guy(guitarist) looks familiar but I'm not sure where I've seen him before.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 27, 2013, 11:59:42 PM
Move an inch or two back from the mic and you'll sound less weak, proximity effect can work for some people but generally just sounds weaker for most, plus with you lips up against the mic they aren't moving/opening as much as they should. Just like with guitars it's about moving air.

I gave it a try and the result was way less volume which is not an option considering that my vocal PA is turned up as loud as it will go without feedbacking. I will give the Audix OM-2 a shot.

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on November 06, 2013, 11:37:26 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 27, 2013, 11:59:42 PM

I gave it a try and the result was way less volume which is not an option considering that my vocal PA is turned up as loud as it will go without feedbacking. I will give the Audix OM-2 a shot.

do you EQ out the highs on that channel coming in to the mixer or DAW w/e?  I just kill the top and bottom for mics.  that helps a lot.

Cursed71

I like the song. That guy(guitarist) looks familiar but I'm not sure where I've seen him before.
[/quote]

We were talking to him outside of Days of the Doomed this year.  He played bass in Leather Nun America.

VOLVO)))

That's what I do, too, Jibb.

Ive been doing sound quite frequently. Getting real good at making drum kits sound smexy.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Cursed71 on November 07, 2013, 07:41:28 AM

We were talking to him outside of Days of the Doomed this year.  He played bass in Leather Nun America.
[/quote]

Ah that's right. Couldn't place him.