The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Will make a cover of sorts for the empty pup hole. It's a little beat up but that is mostly due to the finish being butter soft. Need to find the truss rod cover.

neighbor664

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 13, 2013, 03:51:10 PM

Will make a cover of sorts for the empty pup hole. It's a little beat up but that is mostly due to the finish being butter soft. Need to find the truss rod cover.

You could just get a cheap, no name pick-up from eBay to fill the hole and not wire it up.

Personally if it were me (and I was inclined to never use the neck pup) I'd still wire it up. You can then CHOOSE to not to use it.

RacerX

Quote from: neighbor664 on July 13, 2013, 04:35:36 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 13, 2013, 03:51:10 PM

You could just get a cheap, no name pick-up from eBay to fill the hole and not wire it up.

Personally if it were me (and I was inclined to never use the neck pup) I'd still wire it up. You can then CHOOSE to not to use it.

Or don't cover it, & use the hole as an ashtray...

Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

I don't think there should be a pup in there at all if I'm not going to use it. I like having the selector as an off switch too.

RacerX

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 13, 2013, 06:06:04 PM
I don't think there should be a pup in there at all if I'm not going to use it. I like having the selector as an off switch too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Non-smoker.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Correct.

Basically the ring will be there and the space will be blacked out.

RAGER

^^ :D  I'm a fan of the "rough" look. fuck em
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

An old drivers license with black tape on it screwed under the ring will be easy and quick enough.

MichaelZodiac

A buddy of mine is selling all his stuff because, like me, he's moving in Australia, only he's going in 1 month. He wants 100 bucks for his MIM Fender Jazz bass. I played it unplugged, had good, deep resonance. It's a bit older and has a couple of dings but it played really sweet. I might just buy it for that little money.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

JemDooM

Gig woes....

I just played three shows and I was totally not on it at all apparently....

First night I couldn't help feeling it was a little quiet, I thought it was down to it being a very large venue and got on with it, noticed my leads weren't soaring loudly like usual....

Second night I'm setting up and realised my pedals were out of their usual settings, realised I must have played like that the night before! That'd explain a few things! Sorted it. Again felt I was slightly quieter than usual, my stack was making the floor tremble etc but it still felt quiet compaired to usual, again put it down to a fairly big space...

The third night we had a bit more time so I had a few strums and a quick mess about with settings, realised the button on my amp that gives the full on monster sound was not pushed in as usual! I'd played like that the previous two nights!! So finally I'm playing with the fully intended usual sound, really happy with the set, and then finally playing the intro to the final song I sounded out of tune, don't have a tuner pedal so I did a quick machine head tweak while playing and the second I did that I realised I hadn't been out of tune at all but my finger had been on the wrong damn string! Next thing I couldn't think which way to tweak the machine head back again so I had to switch off my overdrive and tune by ear in the middle of a song that's all about suspension and horribleness...

I'm a complete idiot, that's all I can say....

DooM!

RAGER

Don't worry, shit like that has happened to everyone.  Most people don't even get a chance to play on stage.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Try tuning a Floyd on the fly.

I played half a set with a half step out of tune G on a Floyd. I just bent every note on the G into tune with the chords. It was a challenge haha
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

My Surf band is playing it's first show this coming Saturday. It's at a VW car show and should be a lot of fun. This will be the first time that I've ever played an outside gig.

Lumpy

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 14, 2013, 09:39:49 PM
Try tuning a Floyd on the fly.

I played half a set with a half step out of tune G on a Floyd. I just bent every note on the G into tune with the chords. It was a challenge haha

That's what makes it sound like jazz. :)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

JemDooM

thanks rager, I needed a 'don't worry' pep talk  :-[ just cant believe I didn't check my amp or pedal settings, had too much else on my mind I guess, lesson learned...

that is a clever technique Sunn! always handy for leads when you realise your slightly out!
DooM!

RacerX

Quote from: JemDooM on July 15, 2013, 08:06:30 AM
thanks rager, I needed a 'don't worry' pep talk  :-[ just cant believe I didn't check my amp or pedal settings, had too much else on my mind I guess, lesson learned...

That's happened to me a few times; no fun. Now I use a sharpie to mark any settings that are carved in stone. Makes for a quick visual check. You can also lock knobs down with tape.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

theres this tape you can get that is non adhesive...or non gummy I should say.. It wont leave tape residue on your pedals.
the roll I have is called Artists tape and they use it for masking off areas in fine art painting. this is good for taping your knobs down (thats what he said?)
Id replace any chickenhead knobs with the tall thin round ones. chickenheads are easily accidentally turned.

some friends asked me to play lap steel in their hawaiian band. They play tiki parties. sippin on a mai tai, eatin some hawaiian bbq and backing a lovely female singer sounded like a great time so I said yes.
Only problem is Ive never played anything remotely Hawaiian in my life and the gig is a month away.  :D
not only that, ive got to learn an entirely foreign tuning to me(and try to forget using the ones  I am familiar with)...C6th.
Hopefully I can just makes some chimes and some wavey sounding 6th chords and be passable.

Jake

poop.

Lumpy

Got a new practice space, half the price of the last one. Dude keeping costs down by filling it up with one and two-person bands.

Meanwhile, my guitar player won't respond to messages (well, he answers about 20%). Doesn't return texts or phone calls. I don't see how I can be in a band with somebody who doesn't wanna talk to me.

liquidsmoke

^ that's rough

The Scroll performed very well at practice today, much better than I did. This thing is a keeper along with the Duncan Custom.

mortlock

Quote from: Lumpy on July 15, 2013, 05:51:43 PM
Got a new practice space, half the price of the last one. Dude keeping costs down by filling it up with one and two-person bands.

Meanwhile, my guitar player won't respond to messages (well, he answers about 20%). Doesn't return texts or phone calls. I don't see how I can be in a band with somebody who doesn't wanna talk to me.
that sucks.

Lumpy

We have a show a week from Tuesday (7/23) so he's picking a bad time to flake.

I have a short list of people I can ask to replace him. I haven't gotten that far yet. Unless something changes, I guess tomorrow I'll start going through the list. Figure out who is available, who would be the best fit, who can step in at the last minute and still be comfortable.

jibberish

hey liquid. I have an idea for empty humbucker holes.

when I worked for the german electronics company which had a mfring plant in Singapore also, we got some really exotic and sort of scary spiders hitching in on crates from there. seriously, tropical shit is likely way poisonous  as not..so....

these things went right to the potting room and got cast in clear resin as paperweights.

I saw this same resin being sold now via art supplies industry vs the traditional mfg supplies sources.  now you can buy smaller containers of that stuff for small jobs.

make a small humbucker sized plate of shiny metal and some rigged sides like masking tape or w/e to give you 1/2 " depth and can be removed or sanded off.

Anyone south of the mason Dixon should be able to go out back and snag a black widow in 5 minutes for you. it would be nice if they could pour it fresh for you too.  but you could get anything you wanted to cast in that resin besides a spider.

faux gems, a baby mouse skeleton (ya, just put a dead baby mouse on an anthill, pick up your cleaned skeleton 2 days later when the ants now ignore its inertness lol), skittles heh. no fuck that, those are really bad for your health. go with red hots

although we have wicked garden spiders up north and those wicked big jet black wolf spiders. those are my idea of boris heh. I would use a wolf spider vs a widow myself.

they have white LED's in mini flashlights for basically free or <$1    =  spider lighting.  be slick and sneak a little on/off light switch and gut the flashlight and put guts in electronics bay.

you can drill the 2 screw holes just like a real pickup for mounting and even use the trim ring heh.

edit: hey chief, do me a favor please:  after you have played the single PUP scroll for a while, tell me if it seems like the sound is um...richer or purer, best words I guess, than multiple PUP setup just set to one PUP, or no difference that you can notice. TIA.

jibberish

Quote from: Lumpy on July 16, 2013, 02:27:49 AM
We have a show a week from Tuesday (7/23) so he's picking a bad time to flake.

I have a short list of people I can ask to replace him. I haven't gotten that far yet. Unless something changes, I guess tomorrow I'll start going through the list. Figure out who is available, who would be the best fit, who can step in at the last minute and still be comfortable.

don't you hate when your "supposed to be fun" hobby puts on the heavy stress. like everyone needs more stress in their lives, especially during relax time. hope it works out in time.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on July 18, 2013, 04:34:38 AM
hey liquid. I have an idea for empty humbucker holes.

when I worked for the german electronics company which had a mfring plant in Singapore also, we got some really exotic and sort of scary spiders hitching in on crates from there. seriously, tropical shit is likely way poisonous  as not..so....

these things went right to the potting room and got cast in clear resin as paperweights.

I saw this same resin being sold now via art supplies industry vs the traditional mfg supplies sources.  now you can buy smaller containers of that stuff for small jobs.

make a small humbucker sized plate of shiny metal and some rigged sides like masking tape or w/e to give you 1/2 " depth and can be removed or sanded off.

Anyone south of the mason Dixon should be able to go out back and snag a black widow in 5 minutes for you. it would be nice if they could pour it fresh for you too.  but you could get anything you wanted to cast in that resin besides a spider.

faux gems, a baby mouse skeleton (ya, just put a dead baby mouse on an anthill, pick up your cleaned skeleton 2 days later when the ants now ignore its inertness lol), skittles heh. no fuck that, those are really bad for your health. go with red hots

although we have wicked garden spiders up north and those wicked big jet black wolf spiders. those are my idea of boris heh. I would use a wolf spider vs a widow myself.

they have white LED's in mini flashlights for basically free or <$1    =  spider lighting.  be slick and sneak a little on/off light switch and gut the flashlight and put guts in electronics bay.

you can drill the 2 screw holes just like a real pickup for mounting and even use the trim ring heh.

edit: hey chief, do me a favor please:  after you have played the single PUP scroll for a while, tell me if it seems like the sound is um...richer or purer, best words I guess, than multiple PUP setup just set to one PUP, or no difference that you can notice. TIA.

Some good ideas here. It's going to just be black for now but I'll consider the object in resin idea.

I'm very used to only having or using one pup in the bridge position. I need the bite for my tone and using the neck in addition just makes it less defined and less tight. The Scroll being Fender length scale vs standard SG/LP provides more clarity for tuning down to B. I'm using those 13-56 Elixer nanowebs which cut out most of the finger noise. They are a bit darker but I'm used to it already.
If I needed a thicker more bassy tone I'd adjust the tone knob and with the amount of distortion I use it sounds almost the same as using a neck pup.