The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Charcoal Frostburst, for me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

They look cool but really don't look significantly "better" as Teles. Besides, my scorecard reads Tele-2, Jazzmaster-0 right now.

poop.

Chovie D

M fine with jag bodies, twas juts jokin aboot the teles.

all of the fender body shapes are reasonably appealing to me.
I am also kinda partial to fender stock colors. actaully not so much stock..i like the old custom fender colors alot. sea foam green, placid blue, olympic white, candy apple red. tobacco burst.

Jake

Yeah, I prefer the stock Fender colors on stock Fenders too. But when I'm bastardizing them, the colors get bastardized too.

Also, check this out. You might be surprised just how many stock Fender colors there are.

http://fendercolorchart.webatu.com/colorshome.php
poop.

RacerX

I kinda like the metallic copperburst.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on June 18, 2013, 12:56:27 PM
I kinda like the metallic copperburst.

Champagne, almost, eh? I dig it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Copper and Shoreline Gold. The bursts look like aged Silverburst, which are a little too 'everywhere' now. I like Fender colors.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

eddiefive10

Jake what is the average cost of a build?

Jake

Hmmm. I really can only speak to the one build I did earlier this year. It came out to around $800 for the neck, custom finished body, string ferrules & trees, jack, neckplate and pickguard (I had the pups, electronics, bridge, and tuners already). Without a custom finish, it'd have been about $250 cheaper. But that's part of the fun of a custom build – getting something one-off.

Spose that's a long way of saying probably around $1000 for everything, depending on your pickup choice.
poop.

liquidsmoke

Do only older slower computers experience latency while recording or is this common on new fast computers as well?

Lumpy

There's still latency, but I don't think you can perceive it.

/wild guess.

AgentofOblivion

If things are optimized correctly and your computer is powerful enough the latency should be low enough that it sounds instantaneous to you.  We were recording 7-8 tracks at a time on my buddy's computer with plenty of real time FX and had no issues.  I could be wrong, but I think the two important components are a good external interface/soundcard and a lot of RAM.  Obviously you'll need pretty good CPU speed as well, especially if you're using a lot of FX.

Blog:

Still trying to book interesting shows that do not follow the tradition of evenings at bars.  I have a local t-shirt printing place ran by community-oriented hipster types potentially interested.  They happen to have a stage in their store for some damn reason and it's on this culturally progressive street in town where a lot of the cutting edge arts and businesses are located.  My goal is to have my band and one other that play sets that are about an hour long.  All volunteer, no money aside from merch sales.  If they choose to print a t-shirt for the bands/event then profits might go to charity or something.  Wanting to get other local artists to put their shit out and get community exposure.  Also looking for photographers/videographers to document things and make a cool video for promoting the next iteration of it.  That's how it goes in my head anyway, just trying to convince other people with resources that it's worthwhile.

liquidsmoke

That all makes sense about recording, thanks.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASDP24

"blemished" for $479? Want.

Anymore "hipster" often means 20 somethings into weird music wearing skinny jeans with messed up hair. I've been to some different for me but good shows at BYOB galleries and shops where most of the people had that look. That set up sounds promising. Some of those types do like heavy stuff.

jibberish

I got mine for 479 brand new shipped from B&H video last November, so IMO
since it was by far the best deal on a new one,that price on a used one or factory blem is borderline ok and borderline about $50-$100 too high.

if the blemish is just a ding on the case (anything besides the LCD faceplate messed up or any of the switches/linear pots fucked up) it is a non-issue

WE HAVE DANZIG.   finally, I can get this shit the fuck outta heah

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on June 20, 2013, 05:09:26 AM
since it was by far the best deal on a new one,that price on a used one or factory blem is borderline ok and borderline about $50-$100 too high.

if the blemish is just a ding on the case (anything besides the LCD faceplate messed up or any of the switches/linear pots fucked up) it is a non-issue

WE HAVE DANZIG.   finally, I can get this shit the fuck outta heah

How do you like it? I'll keep that site in mind.

Yes!

liquidsmoke

Is B&H the place that has the underpriced weekend sales they aren't supposed to have? The DP-24 is now listed at 599.99.

Lumpy

B&H is owned and operated by Hassidic Jews, so they take the weekends off (seriously). They close on Friday at like 4pm, and reopen on Monday.

jibberish

Quote from: liquidsmoke on June 20, 2013, 09:20:44 PM
Quote from: jibberish on June 20, 2013, 05:09:26 AM

WE HAVE DANZIG.   finally, I can get this shit the fuck outta heah

How do you like it? I'll keep that site in mind.

Yes!

I like the dp 24 a lot.  they saved a fortune by having one set of knobs and then selecting the track to apply the knobs to. at first It was strange, but really, most things aren't tweaked realtime except volume once set up.
but realtime tweaks are easy: instead of reaching for a set of knobs for each channel, you reach for selector switch and use same set of knobs. it all adds up the same once you do it.

the selction of things you can do for each track is off the hook. it will take me a long while to play with all the features.

you could call this an 8 channel mixer and use it for that when not recording. the channel 8 input is a special hi-impedance for guitars. my LP has awesome bottom end through this input. that feature is huge.  you can just USB tracks or songs up to the pc for further mangling in your DAW, or usb them down to the dp24.

the fit and finish is immaculate. everything looks great. nice, clean, solid feel.

this thing is very quiet.  I used it to re-record racerX's song. it pulled the noise floor of the original recording up clean without adding to it any that I could hear and I maxxed it, past 11 heh

for recording , they actually have 2 sets of effects.one set is like your "channel strip" where you would compress and eq during recording. then there is a whole normal set of effects that can be applied to each track.

memory sticks are sweet and I have yet to use the CD burner in it.

this is too cool for hauling out in the back yard.
many people say go with a DAW on a laptop, but you have no idea how super convenient it is to just slap the dp24 down, plug in, hook up some PA action and go. recording is just hitting record, once your "mixer" is set up.
also, there is really nothing to break if this thing fell

for assembling songs out of scraps and massive retakes, the DAW on the PC is better for editing frenzies

EDIT: here is a link to a dp24 review. I guess he sort of says what I was saying..
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/tascam-dp-24-563287
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already have the next thing picked out I want from B&H: 4 shure mics for $400: 3 57's and a kick mic, plus mike mounts in the package. I need all that shit.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/229185-REG/Shure_DMK57_52_DMK57_52_Drum_Microphone_Kit.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I pack zero cred when it comes to really knowing guitars, BUT, everyone has to, at the very least, pick up a hagstrom ultra swede and play it one time.  why is this not like the hottest line of guitars out there? i'll be like slash, except with ultra swedes.   teles are really comfy for me to play, so I think tele players would like it too, especially the "stays in tune long time" part.

------------------------------------------------------------------

and finally, AC/DC's "ride on" is playing on the classic station. I really like this song.

I am going to coax bagpipe sounds from my electronics for guess what song? heh

strangelight

contemplating selling my peavey classic 50 212. i'm moving cross-state in a couple months (and moving again a couple months after that) and i'm not sure i wanna haul that behemoth everywhere. i really only play it through an iso-cab anyway, so i could get a nice head and say bye to the combo.

.... someone talk me out of it.  :-\

Danny G

About to head to Dripping Springs TX to record an album on bass at producer Chet Himes' new studio.

A friend named Jason Patten has put together a last minute band to help turn his ideas into proper songs (the lead player primarily, who is doing an outstanding job). Really awesome to see and hear 7 ideas turn into 10 fully realized songs in a matter of 1 sit down jam and 2 full band rehearsals in less than 10 days.

Feels great being creative, and some last minute session work before heading out for July with Rick Hornyak will help cover bills while I'm out of state.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

VOLVO)))

Liz, get a VJ or Black heart little giant? Or a 50w traynor...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

strangelight

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 23, 2013, 03:22:46 PM
Liz, get a VJ or Black heart little giant? Or a 50w traynor...

the idea of buying a new amp appeals to me greatly. i like shopping. the biggest reason i don't come down here much is 'cause y'all make me wanna buy shit. but i'm pretty happy with the sound/tone/flexibility of the peavey classic 50. only reason i'd get rid of it is because it's fucking heavy and i'm just a home-player.

maybe i'll finally get a silvertone head...

Metal and Beer

Seahag's back to the original lineup, our other guitarist (aside mainman Jermdirt) is back, so I went back to bass. Tonight was our first jam together since May '09 and the shit was ridiculously Heavy (capitalization intended)....we have an EP's worth of new shit we're gonna record right quick, then write a new cycle of tasty chestnuts with this new/old lineup.

/blawghe
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"