The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JemDooM

Go down anyway zodiac, I don't let no show-ers change what I'm doin I'll still be blastin it, it's a good exercise for tightening up too having part of the band missing...

I know how you feel Rager, every time we can't have a practise for a week or two I really start to fret, excuse the pun totally unintended :*

Sunn can we hear some black metal?
DooM!

MichaelZodiac

That was my plan as well, there just wouldn't be anybody there to let me in (we rehearse at his house).

I guess this also fits here, I went to a local DIY hardcore gig last night put up by some friends of mine. A band from Spain called Orden Mundial (http://ordenmundial.bandcamp.com/) were headlining and were playing their hearts out. They were more than a 1000k away from their home, were playing a show for 40 people and just went for it. They even sold their shirts for 6 euros, a punkprice. I like the energy from this kind of performances, it reminds me to get going.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

moose23

Orden Mundial are fucking great, mates were playing with them over in England last weekend and turned me on to them.

BrianDamage

Quote from: JemDooM on March 27, 2013, 06:02:56 PM
I have repetitive strain injury in my hand because of my new tremolo picking song, its been throbbing painfully all day and the other day argh ~.~

For playing tremolo picked stuff I have found it best (for me, ymmv) to use my wrist and make sure to keep your muscles relaxed. Spend time just tremolo picking whatever notes (the left hand isn't important for this exercise) and FOCUS (trademark MJS) on keeping your entire right arm and hand relaxed.

Also SunnJake is correct with the thicker pick advice. I use Dunlop Jazz III's for everything. Guitar, bass and mandolin.

Edited because I have fat fuck fingers and can't type.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Lumpy

Looked at a practice space yesterday, the Craigs List ad said the room was 20x15 (300 square feet). When we got there, the room was 16x12 (almost 200 square feet). According to my maths, that's 33% smaller than advertised. The guy with the bad ad is the leaseholder (trying to get out of his lease I guess) not the facility. He said he "estimated" the size. Fucking duh, if you have feet on the end of your legs you can measure something by walking it off heel-to-toe and counting. I thought everybody knew that. I didn't "WTF" because the poor bastard had the worst stammer of anyone I've ever met. I figure he's got enough on his plate already. But I should have told him about counting it off.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Instant Dan

Should have asked him for a 33% discount.

Metal and Beer

Maybe his feets are only eight inches long? That'd make anyone stutter  ;)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

JemDooM

DooM!

Chovie D

Quote from: Lumpy on March 29, 2013, 12:15:19 PM
Looked at a practice space yesterday, the Craigs List ad said the room was 20x15 (300 square feet). When we got there, the room was 16x12 (almost 200 square feet). According to my maths, that's 33% smaller than advertised. The guy with the bad ad is the leaseholder (trying to get out of his lease I guess) not the facility. He said he "estimated" the size. Fucking duh, if you have feet on the end of your legs you can measure something by walking it off heel-to-toe and counting. I thought everybody knew that. I didn't "WTF" because the poor bastard had the worst stammer of anyone I've ever met. I figure he's got enough on his plate already. But I should have told him about counting it off.

my experience with landlord/rentals is if you get ANY kind of idea that guy is an asshole/flake or if anything seems sketchy bout the deal..bnail immediately. hope you didnt rent the room?

Lumpy

Quote from: Chovie D on March 29, 2013, 03:52:24 PM
my experience with landlord/rentals is if you get ANY kind of idea that guy is an asshole/flake or if anything seems sketchy bout the deal..bnail immediately. hope you didnt rent the room?

No, we didn't take it, too small/too expensive. We'd need 3 or 4 bands to afford the rent, and the room fits 2 or 3.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

this has my band and lumpys band on it..and 53 other bands. OUT NOW!!

RAGER

Finally set up my drums yesterday.  Damn what a treat to finally play some drums.  A daunting task though.  had to move everything around about 5 times because of confined spaces due to housemates crap in the way.  They're moving out on the 1st praise be.  Gonna work on getting all the rest of the shit set up and arranged.  ie; PA wired up, amps and cabs, wired up and fired up.

Also talked to a younger dude yesterday about possibly jammin'.  Not too sure aboot it though since he mentioned Tool and Rage.  Also met up with a buddy and a keyboard player he's been taking theory lessons from aboot a possible jazz trio.  This keyboard player is a monster player.  The kind of player that can play anything in any key.  super pro.  I'm intimidated but that kind of thing puts you on your game and I think I can fake it. ;)

Ps.  I just might fire up the Marshall today too.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

we are the kings of obsolete media..got a release out soon on this label..
http://snuffdisk.blogspot.com/?zx=b11cc9403c2bf69e

dogfood

Quote from: bbottom on March 26, 2013, 03:59:03 AM
Sorry to hear about what happened to you.

I'm curious though as to why you seemed to have more favorable things to say about the people that robbed you than the cops? That struck me as being really weird

Answer:  I played my part and they played their part.  I think they figure home owners insurance into the equation.  They were not interested in being dicks, just getting my possesions.  Cops on the other hand are psychotherapy disasters.
Problem solving whiskey!

dogfood

Quote from: RAGER on March 28, 2013, 03:21:16 PM
Quote from: Worthless Willie on March 28, 2013, 02:36:14 PM
"I'm curious though as to why you seemed to have more favorable things to say about the people that robbed you than the cops? That struck me as being really weird"

Probably because the criminals were actually good at their jobs.  ??

sounds like those dudes had their shit down.  From the way it sounds they prolly rob dope growers too.

And also, there were 6-8 dudes?  They must have done several jobs that night cuz from what you said they took that doesn't seem like much divided that many ways.  Especially if you're risking getting shot.  Cuz if I had a gun nearby and saw somebody coming at me in my garage.  You better believe I'd be firing at 'em.

Good thing you're ok for the most part.

Yeah, I think they were working all night.  I believe they were following people randomly or from local businesses.  I heard some people got hit who were refueling at a crappy gas station close by.
Problem solving whiskey!

dogfood

I'm building a brick wall + motorized gate + wood fence around the casa for security sake.  Dallas Texas allows barbed wire on any fence over 6' that if the barbed wire does not protrude!   ;D  I might add some of that to the salad.  I have the foundation dug and most of the rebar in place for the brick wall.  This weekend I'll be finishing all that and forming.  As soon as possible I'll have a truck bring me 8 yards of concrete!  Then get some masons to build me a wall.

See Luke dig.

Color of brick for castle walls

Literature for my house original
Problem solving whiskey!

jibberish

actually, that totally sucks that a person is forced to build fort knox around their house. key word being "forced".

it's funny how the money goes, even when there was a basic plan in place.  My music room rebuild project has sort of followed the plan.  timeframe is shot to hell, but oh well, we will get there. I am applying all my play money as I get it. new turntable will have to wait until next fall since I bought too much music crap.
I have all the ambient lighting, still finalizing main white room lighting. im tending towards LED's, but still kicking it around.
So close, just in time for the yard to take over my attention.

the 3 guitars from best buy clearance wasn't exactly random. I was building up to grab the hagstrom ultra swede and I have been watching for a starter tele for a while already. the mid range schecters are nice, but a metal guitar wasn't real high on the list.  I already have those nasty little Ibanez that can be heavily processed for that. they are extremely fast dirt cheap guitars. just sound like ass.

I just don't want to haul the LP out anymore. The ultra swede is a dream to handle too. little fucker. perfect. and for just 1 guitar, it makes the most different sounds, so I only need one guitar out with me.

my son and I already have 2 string thru schecters. we don't have a nice shred machine between us.  I play some country folksy stuff and the LP isn't right for that. or surf type sounding music.
so I filled some serious holes with those 3 guitars. all 3 of which sound so much different from each other, and do different from each other.

The swede was the main target, BUT, when I saw the sales dude was loose as hell with pricing just to get the shit out of there, I talked to him a bit. He was bummed at the dept closing and was willing to throw anything to anyone  rather than the guitar center's guys uber lowball them on their stock at some point in the near future.
I sort of ran to the wall and I grabbed my 3 old friends and took a chance. heh i should have tried $900 out the door, but $1000 sounds way more huger pizza than wimpy 900 heh.

I make a joke that all I came in for was more of those cheap guitar cables that were now cheaper than when I got a pair last time but they were immediately all gone, and he is running upgrading me for same price(free heh) he comes up with 2 gig bags..here just take these for those guitars.
just a right place at the right time situation, and where I am at playing skillwise, $333 dollar guitars is about where I belong

dogfood

Don't explain it to us Jibby, we are not your wife.  I COMPLETELY understand picking up the Swede, the Tele, and as icing on the cake, the Schecter for 1K.  Easy descision.  Three entirely different guitars for the price of one LP Studio.  Dude you are going to be in fiddle heaven for a year.  But don't whine and sell when you don't have enough time to play all three.  You are only allowed to sell them when you decide to upgrade.   ;D
Problem solving whiskey!

jibberish

heh, ya you're probably right. sometimes I feel that people think i'm mostly gone so sometimes I feel the need to explain why I just busted that particular move.

I have no plans on getting rid of any of the guitars at this point. maybe a deal breaker will crop up as I get used to them, but I've played them all a few times. no guitars ever sold out of best buy.
I forgot the whammy bar for the schecter in my excitement too. oh well, maybe the Ibanez ones will fit. the locking tuner deal was familiar due to the Ibanez's, so maybe I luck out..

JemDooM

Damn that's a good story jibbs haha ;D

I went through my phone voice memos today for all my woo'd, whistled n hummed riffs that come to me when I'm half asleep in bed and stuff, and re-recorded them all with my guitar and deleted the old memos, got over 20 riffs id forgotten on there I'm psyched, was also slightly worried that I'd accidentally play said memos of humming and wooing of doom riffs to workmates or something cos it'd make me look crazy,...
DooM!

Instant Dan

You need to set up some traps in the vein of straw-dogs, dogfood.

Been piecing together riffs to make songs. So far I would say 80% of the stuff I recorded are throwaways or obvious, not intentionals, rip offs of other songs.

Jake

Since I don't actually blog or play with social media, this is the only place I have a chance to report the 15" poopie I birthed yesterday. Sorry, no pics.
poop.

jibberish

when I break a low e string, it is an event requiring pomp and circumcision,  and rituals even.

I chant the mantra " we bad, we bad uh huh we bad"  then I throw a huge triple-scoop action claw

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Jake on April 20, 2013, 02:38:57 PM
Since I don't actually blog or play with social media, this is the only place I have a chance to report the 15" poopie I birthed yesterday. Sorry, no pics.

Uh, the Obelisk, "mini-chat" awaits.   ;D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

The Shocker

Quote from: Jake on April 20, 2013, 02:38:57 PM

Damn, I bet you felt a lot better after that.