The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

That's what I'm saying! That's the Lord's time.

These guys start drinking beer at 11am on Sunday. Maybe playing in a band is about the fellowship for them... might as well be a bowling league, or poker night. They wanna hang out, have some beers, shoot the shit, fumble their way through some songs. Aint nobody got time for that.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Lumpy on March 06, 2013, 06:44:38 PM
I'm playing in a Hawkwind cover band (doing the oscillator sounds) and I'm thinking about quitting. The original idea was described as 'we'll have two or three practices, and then play a show'. Strictly for fun.

Well, now we're on practice #7, and the dudes still don't know the songs (they know about 3 out of 6). Two of the guys have children and serious jobs, and are routinely canceling/rescheduling practices. It fucking sucks to sit there and watch these idiots hash out their parts, and they clearly have spent no time at home learning their parts. Also, we have to practice on Sundays at 11 am due to scheduling (and it takes an hour to get there on the subway). It's irritating to hear them joking around "heh heh, it's just Hawkwind" like the music is soooo simple and beneath them (and they can't even play it correctly).

All that wouldn't matter if they could rock, but they don't. Bass player can't drive the band at all. Since I can play bass too, it's like torture to see. And now they're talking about adding other music to the set (Pink Floyd) and maybe writing some originals. JFC... I don't wanna be a prima donna, but they are really stretching my patience.

That is truly a shit situation. I remember you saying the bass player is also one of the organizers of this thing, which sucks, because I'm sure you could snatch that thing from his hand and show him how to drive a band. Maybe you should? Why not embarrass him into learning how to play his instrument? I did that to a bass player in one of my old bands. He ended up quitting (which was fine, ultimately), but maybe that would be okay in your situation. If thine bass player offendeth thee, showeth his ass the door. From the way you were describing it on Sunday it sounds like they'd rather drink and play Rock Band. Fuck lawyers, man. Fuck their safe-as-milk cover versions of music they'll never get. Fuck their incomes. Fuck their security. They will never, ever know the real danger that comes with being a real musician, like you are. What inspiration - what drive could they possibly have? You can do better, dude.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Discö Rice

I'm running on about two hours of sleep, so pardon the histrionics. Seriously though - those guys suck. You don't need 'em.

Lumpy

Damn, you gotta get more sleep dude.

One of the guys is the guitar player in my 'real' band, so I have to be nice (he's also one of the guys who shows up unprepared).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Discö Rice

Dan doesn't suck. I really like his playing . Showing up unprepared is not awesome, though. You'se  goons is slummin' it.

Instant Dan

Discö Rice

I have a hard time thinking of anything but terrible nu-metal guitars when I see the Schecter logo, but I do like that one.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

I,Galactus

Heard good things about their new bass VI's too:

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

VOLVO)))

Why is it so fucking ugly? I want it.

I wish somebody would make a fucking guitar that looked good with a 30" scale

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

I,Galactus

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 07, 2013, 12:02:09 PM
Why is it so fucking ugly? I want it.

I wish somebody would make a fucking guitar that looked good with a 30" scale

You think that one's bad, check out the silverburst:D
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Jake

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 07, 2013, 10:05:22 AM
Me want.

Wow. Looks like a Gibson RD mated with a LP Special. I like it. But that heinous Dean-like headstock is a dealbreaker (for me). The neck inlays are pretty flashy for what should be a "meat & potatoes" styled instrument as well.
poop.

VOLVO)))

That VI looks like a shitty fish.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Fuck that noise. I'll take all the god damned silverbursts. Mine.

JemDooM

That geet is pretty damn ugly ~.^

disco, maybe just find a gig asap with the 3 that they know, the buzz of the gig might kick their asses into sorting it out more, if they can't rock like you say tho then that's gonna take a lot of time and patience. I always thought a good tip is if anyone cancels, the praccy still goes ahead no matter what, even if its just the drummer and bassist one night it's really good for development and better than nothing. It's hard to find the right people all on the same page, I dunno how people seem to manage it so easily, for me it's chemistry, if its not there I can't do it....
DooM!

Discö Rice

Quote from: JemDooM on March 07, 2013, 04:25:42 PM
That geet is pretty damn ugly ~.^

disco, maybe just find a gig asap with the 3 that they know, the buzz of the gig might kick their asses into sorting it out more, if they can't rock like you say tho then that's gonna take a lot of time and patience. I always thought a good tip is if anyone cancels, the praccy still goes ahead no matter what, even if its just the drummer and bassist one night it's really good for development and better than nothing. It's hard to find the right people all on the same page, I dunno how people seem to manage it so easily, for me it's chemistry, if its not there I can't do it....

It's Lumpy's band, not mine. I'm newly divorced from my own band, hence my encouraging others to do the same, I think. It's a good feeling.

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 07, 2013, 01:30:00 PM
That VI looks like a shitty fish.
A fish with tits. Titty fish.

JemDooM

Oh man! Sorry lumpy I just got confused with all the epicness! ;)
DooM!

liquidsmoke

Writing leads is fun! Even the pretty simple slow/midpaced ones I'm capable of.

eyeprod

Im going to be working the merch table for my friends band in LA on sunday at the nik turner space ritual show. Come say hi if youll be there
CV - Slender Fungus

VOLVO)))

Tried out for a black metal band. Soon as he started playing a riff, I harmonized it, and they asked me if I wanted to join. Who said Thin lizzy never taught me nothing.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

Mr. Foxen

Set up a facebook page for my amps thing: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839

Dweebs come post pictures of your amps, especially the insides.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 09, 2013, 11:11:08 AM
Set up a facebook page for my amps thing: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839

Liked.

Jor el

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 07, 2013, 10:05:22 AM

Looks like an S-300 with a smaller horn and no battle axe.

Which reminds me....
I still want an S-300
What Would Scooby Do ?

tossom

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 09, 2013, 11:11:08 AM

Liked.
"Beige rock"