The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Ugh. I've probably said too much in this thread already. It's for the best, though. Creative differences covers it, I think.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Corey Y

Quote from: Discö Rice on February 25, 2013, 10:37:03 PM
So uhhh... My band broke up. On to the next, I guess.

That sucks man, but hopefully it opens up things for an even better opportunity.

Discö Rice

Thank you. I do hope that's what happens. I don't handle not playing music well at all. I know I have friends, a great girl, and even a couple of family members that all care about me, but there's this deep, persistent feeling of failure and isolation when things like this happen. The only way to avoid it is to find some new project right away.

liquidsmoke

Got guitar recorded for 4 of our songs tonight. 3 more to go. Not using analog tape but that's fine.

liquidsmoke

How does guitar neck length apart from string size effect tone?

moose23

Quote from: liquidsmoke on February 26, 2013, 02:58:39 AM

Different scale lengths will have different string tensions.

moose23

To refret a messed up neck or go fretless with it? Ideally a new fretboard and frets but I'm not sure an 87/88 Squier bass is worth that much effort/expense. What yous reckon?

I,Galactus

Quote from: Discö Rice on February 25, 2013, 10:37:03 PM
So uhhh... My band broke up. On to the next, I guess.

Shoulda let her "handle the bookings?"   :P

Seriously, though:  sucks to hear.  Bigger and better things, man.  Keep your head up and your drums huge.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Mr. Foxen

Scale length changes string tension and compliance, but its only one factor. Got to assume the pickups all move proportionally, otherwise their relative position in the scale is going to be a big deal to output tone. Longer necks as in having more frets tends to shift the neck pickup to make space, which will be a tone change, otherwise makes not much odds.

VOLVO)))

Moosey, just level and recrown them. Tap the lifted ones back down with a non marring hammer and file them out. Then sannnnddd.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

This is something I'd recommend if you're truly interested in the scale length particulars.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/sonic-essentials--all-about-scale-length/8450

Oh, and I prefer to play on humbucker-equipped Teles these days for all of the reasons listed in the article: especially tighter string tension (with dropped tunings) and more harmonic "snap" or twang, to cut through. Although I prefer the feel of a Les Paul (I've got a long relationship with them), they just sound more muted, muddy, and less vibrant than my humbucker Teles do.
poop.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 26, 2013, 09:16:16 AM

Scale length changes string tension and compliance, but its only one factor. Got to assume the pickups all move proportionally, otherwise their relative position in the scale is going to be a big deal to output tone. Longer necks as in having more frets tends to shift the neck pickup to make space, which will be a tone change, otherwise makes not much odds.

Longer scales are better for lower tunings, that should at least translate to more clarity right?

Corey Y

Quote from: Discö Rice on February 25, 2013, 11:53:52 PM
Thank you. I do hope that's what happens. I don't handle not playing music well at all. I know I have friends, a great girl, and even a couple of family members that all care about me, but there's this deep, persistent feeling of failure and isolation when things like this happen. The only way to avoid it is to find some new project right away.

I know how that feels, big time. I didn't have any band going for something like 3 years, didn't like the band I was in for years before that, now I'm in several bands and almost none of them do anything. I feel that frustration, because when it really works and everything snaps into place it's a fucking rush. Just keep your momentum going, do some solo stuff if you have to, just don't let it drag you down and not make music. I only say that because I do that and it sucks, trying to break that cycle over the last year for myself.

Quote from: moose23 on February 26, 2013, 08:58:45 AM
To refret a messed up neck or go fretless with it? Ideally a new fretboard and frets but I'm not sure an 87/88 Squier bass is worth that much effort/expense. What yous reckon?

Holy crap...looks someone dipped that think in epoxy. Try stripping the neck first and see what the wood actually looks like under all that wavy goop.

moose23

I think it's heavily brushed on varnish. I'm gonna see if the frets or at least some of them can be salvaged but not sure how likely that is.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

moose23

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 27, 2013, 08:32:05 AM
Send it to me.

No problem as long if you want to pay for the return shipping from Dublin, Ireland to Florida. It'll be going to my usual luthier when I'm home this weekend although it might be one of his sons or myself doing the work so it's cheaper/free. It's also much messier in person.

VOLVO)))

Damn Irishmen. Stripping that shit suuuuucks. Probably be worth it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Zero

Just finished up two new tracks in the studio for a split coming out this spring. Stuff sounds great even before mastering. Kept the songs short enough that we might be pressing 7"s for this.

MichaelZodiac

So I've come to the realization we're maybe not just a live band? I dunno, we just keep jamming, not creating fully fleshed songs, they remain very Hawkwind-ian jams. Which could count as songs but since the recording gear is crapping out more than it is fully functioning, it's hard to actually come back to stuff next rehearsal. Usually I might remember some root notes but it takes a while to try to recreate them. Definitely the feel of the song is sometimes hard to get right again. That all being said, we've now been playing together for a year and a half now and in comparison, we have grown a lot. Our drummer -who's a musical guy- had just bought his own first kit when we started. The guitarist and me didn't get decent gear until last summer. We're all so good friends that I can't really imagine playing with anybody else. If this is what it is, so be it. I used to get frustrated about it, now not so much. Forever onward, I guess.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Discö Rice

You guys... :-[ Thank you for the well-wishes and such. Thanks to a hot tip from Lumpy I just sent an email to a guy on craigslist that seems to have good taste and a level head, so I'll see where that goes. Honestly I'm already a lot less bummed about this. All I've been thinking today is "I am free. I am free. I am fucking free.".

the diddler

Damn- so I guess we can 'unlike' the Leadbreath fb page.  Good luck man- fwiw, I've been in bands with women a few times and it seems like there's always a heightened level of drama/bullshit.  Not to generalize or suggest that's what went on with you guys, jussayng.....

VOLVO)))

I want to be in an all girl band. L

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Quote from: the diddler on February 28, 2013, 08:04:26 AM
Damn- so I guess we can 'unlike' the Leadbreath fb page.  Good luck man- fwiw, I've been in bands with women a few times and it seems like there's always a heightened level of drama/bullshit.  Not to generalize or suggest that's what went on with you guys, jussayng.....

Heh. Yeah. I feel like explaining this behavior away as being based on gender isn't fair to good female creative partners or totally assfuck dick-tarded men. Some people are just plain assholes.

fallen

I've had it go both ways. Hard to generalize. Was in a band with a female cowriter and guitarist and it went great.

On the other hand jammed with a couple of girls to see about putting a band together and they showed up with no amps. Or pedals or chords.