The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the diddler

got asked to try out for an open 2nd guitar spot with a local band I really like.  I only ever auditioned for a band once, 27 years ago.  These guys are all friends of friends and I know 'em a little, but still figure it's going to be a little bit weird.  I have a week to try and learn/add to 3 of their songs- which they haven't sent me yet.

should be interesting

Chovie D

the diddler

thanks Chovie- if I can get through it without sharting my drawers, I'll consider it a success

themusketking

I'm skating thin lines. The wife gets depressed when I go to band practice.  She only works two days a week right now and spends a lot of time alone. So, needless to say, she's lonely. She wants to spend every waking moment with me due to this(which I get), but there are few things in the world I love as much as my band.  Also, I REALLY REALLY want to start another band, but I just don't see it as possible. Kinda has me a little pissed at myself and the situation. 
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

bass sic

I hear ya on that. I work second shift and only see my wife two nights a week. When I was in the band one of those nights was spent on band practice, and then my hard to get nights off were spent on gigs. She was not happy. I would love to have normal hours and do an original AND a cover band just for fun/money. Instead I sit in my spare room and play by myself a couple hours a week, if that.

RacerX

I've been woodshedding so much in my little room that my wife's been complaining, so I'm trying to balance things out a bit more. I dunno, I find it hard not to be obsessive about playing, esp. when I'm mining new ideas & making a lot of progress. The hours disappear...
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

"Axes lead to exes." An old saying I just made up 8)
No Focus Pocus

Metal and Beer

I feel thine's pain, but my "You love that goddamned guitar more than me!!!1!" days are behind me. I think the last straw was when I replied "Yeah, and if this SG had a pussy you'd be assed the fuck out"   :P

"Axes lead to ex's"  haha, nice
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RAGER

I actually think it was my non master volume amps un-attenuated.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Quote from: Metal and Beer on December 30, 2012, 12:54:59 PM
I feel thine's pain, but my "You love that goddamned guitar more than me!!!1!" days are behind me. I think the last straw was when I replied "Yeah, and if this SG had a pussy you'd be assed the fuck out"   :P

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Currently plugging into SG-mounted Fleshlight.
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Quote from: the diddler on December 29, 2012, 07:35:14 PM
got asked to try out for an open 2nd guitar spot with a local band I really like.  I only ever auditioned for a band once, 27 years ago.  These guys are all friends of friends and I know 'em a little, but still figure it's going to be a little bit weird.  I have a week to try and learn/add to 3 of their songs- which they haven't sent me yet.

should be interesting

In Bummertown?  Anybody i might know?
No Focus Pocus

the diddler

nah, Tacomastyle.  Doubt you know 'em, I'll post some shits once it's all been decided.  I really dig the songs they sent me, though not sure they actually need another guitar.

bass sic

So this older ex hippie lookin dude who has worked in our warehouse for years was in the break room today. I had never talked to him before but heard he was a musician. I asked if he got anything good when I saw him at guitarmart last week. Well he just started yapping away and telling me stories about his sound/production company back in the 70/80's, and the bands he's jammed with. It was actually entertaining, he's got some pretty cool shit to say. Ima have to shoot the shit with him more.

bass sic

Oh yea, one story he told was them wandering into a studio in soho to record a commercial jingle. On the way in a junky was outside selling a guild bass for 50 bucks. He bought it and went into the studio. The engineer said "well it looks like you met junky pat". Junky pat just finished recording a second version of the Barney miller intro for use in the reruns in syndication. He still has the bass, and even tho I begged he won't sell it.

bbottom

Quote from: RAGER on December 30, 2012, 12:27:22 PM
"Axes lead to exes." An old saying I just made up 8)

that's actually pretty good

Metal and Beer

Quote from: RacerX on December 30, 2012, 01:10:50 PM
Quote from: Metal and Beer on December 30, 2012, 12:54:59 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Currently plugging into SG-mounted Fleshlight.

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

jibberish

how to get your room "puffa puffa opium den style" faster. they have a boatload of different items and design. I mean hundreds and hundreds
one random grab

http://www.fullmoonloom.com/

meanwhile I snagged this for $18 walking through sears to the mall, that will look cool on the back wall
a 60" x 80" fluffy blanket heh

Chovie D

my once a year band is starting up again...hehe. :)

its been two years since we drunkenly dreamed up the idea of this band, we've had two "practices" and I still havent met one of the dudes in the band, tho his previous band is quite well known and Ive seen them many times :D

somehow in those two sessions we managed to write and record basics of 8 pretty good songs tho...i hope we can finish them this year.
???

The band was going to be called Brutus...but im guessing there are a few other brutus (bruti?)

RAGER

Let me know if you guys need a drummer or guitar player that will never show up.
No Focus Pocus

bass sic

Or a bass player that can't ever get off work to gig, I'd be down with this.

Danny G

Been hashing out a logo for Ocean of Stars:

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

mutantcolors

I kinda me gusta that but my inner graphic design brain tells me it may be a little busy. Try choosing between the color background or the architectural linework around the letters, methinks.

Looks good though, solid start for sure. Aim for that recognizability all the great logos have.

fallen

It could be good and super geometric just black on white or white on black if you dropped the large O and N of ocean down to create a perfect rectangle.

A somewhat square or 5x4 ratio logo is also really good for utilizing space on stickers and patches etc.

Just need to beef up the smaller letters to get a uniform font weight across all letters which is always something you need to do when using small caps.

No time to mock it up properly so use your imagination:

OO-C-E-A-NN
OO-------NN
----O-F----
SS-------SS
SS-T-A-R-SS

Makes a perfect cube kinda.

mortlock

how would that work on a flier/poster/album cover?? seems to me youd have to lose the background image..

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on January 04, 2013, 12:10:53 PM
Let me know if you guys need a drummer or guitar player that will never show up.

youre in! welcome to the band! we are rehearsing today in fremont, please dont show up at noon.

looks like we might have two bass players...hopefully i'll get to meet the second one today...