The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 19, 2012, 09:21:51 AM
Lol, I did that with myspace. Made me go back and contact my ex and apologize.

Opologize? Or....

VOLVO)))

Quote from: bass sic on December 19, 2012, 10:28:47 AM
Quote from: SunnO))) on December 19, 2012, 09:21:51 AM
Lol, I did that with myspace. Made me go back and contact my ex and apologize.

Opologize? Or....

Hindsight is 20/20 or whatever the fuck that means.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on December 18, 2012, 04:50:26 PM
Working on getting the artist to finalize our split album's cover.  Should look something like this.   

heh, that is actually a pretty nice image. good call.

jibberish

in my music room/studio basement rebuild I was going to use an old sanyo rack system rack for music electronics, but it is an RCH too narrow to hold 19" rackmount stuff.  I need a 19" rack, so I may have to trash and rebuild the sanyo rack wider. the rollers are in the sides, so those are the key pieces, not any of the shelves.

working out the framework for the back of the area cloth wall.  still have lighting to tweak and how exactly set up my vinyl and cd's to do yet, but it is getting close.

edit: I decided to skip the music gear rack. I don't have that much lol. midi modules can just go by the keyboard when I need them and the rest on the table when I need it. so, electronics are all set basically, ambient light and décor is done enough for now. figure out some main lighting and finish the back wall...

I can reach up again to hold little things with my bad shoulder now.  i'm in the rehab stage working on getting the full range of motion back after keeping it all crunched up for a month.

AgentofOblivion

Quote from: jibberish on December 20, 2012, 01:24:41 AM
in my music room/studio basement rebuild I was going to use an old sanyo rack system rack for music electronics, but it is an RCH too narrow to hold 19" rackmount stuff.  I need a 19" rack, so I may have to trash and rebuild the sanyo rack wider. the rollers are in the sides, so those are the key pieces, not any of the shelves.

working out the framework for the back of the area cloth wall.  still have lighting to tweak and how exactly set up my vinyl and cd's to do yet, but it is getting close.

edit: I decided to skip the music gear rack. I don't have that much lol. midi modules can just go by the keyboard when I need them and the rest on the table when I need it. so, electronics are all set basically, ambient light and décor is done enough for now. figure out some main lighting and finish the back wall...

I can reach up again to hold little things with my bad shoulder now.  i'm in the rehab stage working on getting the full range of motion back after keeping it all crunched up for a month.

Pictures?

jibberish

I am almost finished, and I will make a little video or take pics once it is set up. I may have to tweak the sound with some barriers, but I will see what I have with just what is here first. the overall sonic sense of the room is pretty neutral. I hope that carries over to when it gets loud.

RAGER

So I tried to help my girl order that Mallekko 616 for my xmas present from a local shop.  Their website says "Fanatic about customer service".  I wasn't really getting that vibe from them so I ordered directly from Malekko.  They're local anyways.  A good thing I did because they are just starting to ship the V. 2.0 out, so I would have gotten the older version and after reading about the new version I'm glad I went this route.
No Focus Pocus

Metal and Beer

I put together a pretty mean rig for aboot 500 bucks, louder 'n' fuck and decent tone. Randall 140 "Sustainer" (master) into an Avatar 4x12, Sunn Concert Bass (slave) into a Peavey 6505 era 4x12, Epiphony G-400.

/blawg
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

MichaelZodiac

A local recording studio where people I know have recorded their demos has written out an talent search contest, the only thing you need to do is to send in a rehearsal recording and they pick the winner. The winner gets some free studio time, I figured just what the hell and send a rehearsal recording from a couple of months ago because it was the only decent one we got but whatever.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

jibberish

Finally I can play some guitar again, although the motion of putting the guitar strap over my shoulder is still iffy.
I am getting to know these little greta amps way better and i'm finding what works where, regarding volumes and tones and playing styles etc
I will put together a more coherent thread later.

HAH everyone that came over yesterday tripped out on my music room. we baptized that bith royal. clutzy nephew even got some beer on the carpet.
all I have to do is finish the back fake cloth wall and figure some main , but lo-profile main lighting solutions..so close....

so ramsey lewis has a show called legends of jazz and al dimeola just slayed....

tossom

An old friend from school asked me to put a little bit of guitar on an EP she was doing, was very pleased she remembered I used to be able to play a guitar! ;D

Not entirely happy with what I did, fairly happy with the sound but my playing was sloppy through a couple of years of little to no playing but Lucy seems happy with it. It has been released to the public now anyway so too late to change it!  Alt celtic folk, not my normal kinda thing but think Lucy has a great voice and cool ideas.  I am on the track "dancing on the waves".

http://wailingmiserere.bandcamp.com/album/tales-untold

Merry xmas jam room folks, shall be looking to pick brains before long as I am currently building an amp - an amp maker kit for an 18w head.  Having fun so far but know I will get stuck soon!
"Beige rock"

RAGER

^^Sounds good to me dude.  Is she as bonny as she sounds??
No Focus Pocus

tossom

Cheers sir.  Yes, she is ;D
"Beige rock"

RacerX

Yeah, sounding good, Tossom!

So, how does one teach oneself to fingerpick after playing exclusively with a pick for close to 40 years?

I decided about a month ago that I wouldn't pick up a pick until 2013, and I must say it's working out well. My right hand is finally catching on (I'm lefty). The first few weeks sounded really ugly, but I'm getting past that now. This is gonna be really useful for slide & acoustic stuff...
Livin' The Life.

bass sic

Using your finger tips/pads, or finger nail? And are you playing regular spaced strings? I've fucked around with it but can't guide my fat sausages between the strings.

RacerX

Quote from: bass sic on December 26, 2012, 09:46:31 AM
Using your finger tips/pads, or finger nail? And are you playing regular spaced strings? I've fucked around with it but can't guide my fat sausages between the strings.

Both nails & fingertips, depending upon what I'm doing. I've grown the nails on my right hand a bit longer than usual, but nothing freakish looking. Gotta get the thumbnail a tad longer & I'll be there. The string spacing is anywhere from wide (resonator/ lap steel) to tight (my Baby Taylor).
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

i developed a terrible habit 20 some odd years ago of using my thumb and first 2 fingers.  I can't shake it.  I've heard that the first 2 chord phrasings of Dust in the Wind were a finger picking exercise.  i should start there.  i admire people who can do this proficiently.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

I rarely use the ring or pinkie. It's mostly about the thumb & forefinger, with a bit of middle finger thrown in.
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Aha!!  You're doing it wrong like me.  Start doing it right early on and you won;t develop something you can't stop.

I close my eyes
Only for a moment
then the moment's gone......
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

If this is wrong, I'll never get "right":

Livin' The Life.

the diddler

funny- I was gonna mention dust in the wind for fingerpicking practice.  Back when I took lessons 60 years ago,  that song and the intro to Yes' mood for a day were what the dude had me work on to learn that shit.  the Kansas song is great for getting that specific pattern down, the Yes song is badass and a challenge to play- not that I can remember any of that stuff now.     

mutantcolors

A friend of mine only uses middle, ring and pinkie and holds a pick with index/thumb. Hybrid picking.

bass sic

That would be a handy tool for me to have, picking and fingering. I may start working on it.

VOLVO)))

I use all 'um, the first pinkie is my string popper. Play how it how it sounds the best!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: mutantcolors on December 26, 2012, 06:50:00 PM
A friend of mine only uses middle, ring and pinkie and holds a pick with index/thumb. Hybrid picking.

I like that.

I was horsing around with chet atkins style picking. you have to use everything. try that.  thumb and index do the rhythm part on the 2-3 lower strings, and the other 3 fingers do all the melody/chord/counter-melody.  mind bending, but it may hel[ you folks. don't underestimate the chet.