Main Menu

Recent posts

Jam Room / Re: What are YOU up to, DIY/pr...
Last post by Pissy - Today at 10:10:59 AM
I just replaced the pots in my newly beloved Transparent red Washburn HB35.  

I had an issue with a partially failing pot and decided to put better ones in all around.  Same values as before (500k with .047uf caps on the tone pots) BUT the old were mini pots, and the new are standard sized.  I didn't know this going in. I also realized that the threaded shaft on the new pots was larger (SAE vs metric) than what came out, so I was half expecting to have to drill the holes out.   New ones fit, so it wasn't an issue, but they are snug.  

Kind of a pain. Of course with a 335 style, there's no access cavity so you have to work through the f-holes.  There's a hack for that, using dental floss (i used butchers twine) and a coat hanger to feed through the individual holes and tie them on to the posts for each pot.  That's all well and good, but don't forget to thread the washers on BEFORE you pull the string through the hole.  

Also, check the operation of everything before you try and pull it all back together.  In my case it would have been easy to mix up which pot controlled which pickup. So I plugged the guitar in to an amp and tapped on each pickup with a piece of metal (a washer) to make sure that the pots I thought were controlling the neck/bridge actually did.  You can also hear the tone pot rolloff with the same tapping on the pickup to ensure that's all hooked up right. Luckily for me, it was.  

Getting theses larger pots through the f-hole was interesting.  There's really only one way they'll go through.  One at a time, from the longest lead to the shortest, i got them in.  Then I had to pull the strings to get them into the holes.   This took some effort with a coat hanger and jiggling and making sure the star washer was on the shaft with an awl.   I had to back up and remove the string on the neck volume because the string was threaded behind a switch wire, then thread it back again.  

After getting them all back in their respective spots, I'm happy to report that it all seems to work as it's supposed to. No broken joints in all the moving and jiggling around, no wires touching that aren't supposed to.  

I should note that i spanned this over a few days, and whenever I could see I was going to get frustrated, I'd walk away.  Get back to it later.  It's amazing how well that works. 

No pics from the process, but this one as it sits now.  

Food and Drink / Re: Dave'sCookinShow!!
Last post by RAGER - Today at 09:29:43 AM
I'll have the small blackened salmon Caesar in a 50 gallon drum.
Last post by Pissy - Today at 09:09:38 AM
It's like dining when your plate is at the bottom of a hole.  
Last post by mortlock - Today at 01:17:29 AM
Food and Drink / Re: Recipes--Your Specialty
Last post by RAGER - Today at 12:36:22 AM
Yeah dude. Do it. It's really good.
Last post by mortlock - May 23, 2024, 09:12:11 PM
damn rager, i need to hire you as a consultant to dcs. im def making this for an upcoming episode.
Last post by RAGER - May 23, 2024, 10:36:57 AM
I think I've talked about this before but never posted it. Back in high school I'd make this for me and my buddy after school while stoned it's basically pasta cacio e pepe but I don't think I knew what that was. It was just some good grub.

I used good pecorino and real butter but the OG was margarine, salt, black pepper and kraft Parmesan in that green can. The pasta was always Top Ramen just like this redux I did last night.

Cook ramen and leave just a bit of water left over, toss with everything else. Inhale.

Food and Drink / Re: The food and drink forum b...
Last post by Muffin Man - May 22, 2024, 07:37:13 PM
yum!
Last post by RAGER - May 22, 2024, 06:36:41 PM
It's like a crunch drier version of nam phrik pao but spicier.
Last post by Muffin Man - May 22, 2024, 06:18:32 PM
looks intense - what do you do with it...tortellini? wonton?