The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

I think that's one of those string-dampener thingies.
Livin' The Life.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I'd be up for jammin anybody in Portland area. Oh wait. Never mind.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

According to an email today from Reverb.com, the average sale price on fuzz pedals is up 11% over last year. Not what I expected, considering how the economy has crashed due to the pandemic. Maybe all the forced time at home has people spending their bar and restaurant money on things like musical equipment. I suppose economic prospects vary widely for people, based on location and industry.

renfield

Similar to how everybody started baking bread, maybe some people started soldering their own fuzz circuits. I mean I'm not sure what that has to do with a price bump but, it would be cool

Lumpy

I tried to get a couple of people here interested in putting on a show in the park, or on a roof or something. It would be outside, really small turnout so social distancing would be no problem. In the bigger parks here, people will have a small sound system for parties, and use a generator. I couldn't get any interest from the friends I asked. To move all the equipment into a park would need a group effort. Could also play through battery powered amps. They seem expensive and maybe not loud enough for live music outdoors.

Lumpy

Free tone-shaper plug-in here, for people who mix and master at home:

https://www.waves.com/account/tone-shaper-free?fbclid=IwAR1D4GgbE3bUVIE36nNqPHFMl3ASKddUpNSQuS9byziLRQNJsdLool_9oDg

QuoteManny Marroquin on the MM Tone Shaper: "Parallel compression plays a huge part in my mixing technique. It adds richness and really brings out the full character of almost any sound and helps different elements stand out within a mix. Tone Shaper is a parallel compressor with four separate bands plus EQ and a few other 'secret ingredients' that make it quick and easy to change tonality of a track to match your mix. I've found that when a mix is like 80% there, instead of EQ or volume, adding the Tone Shaper makes things jump out, without sacrificing space in the mix."

My OS is too old to use this, but I bet it's worth a try.

RAGER

Gonna take my 69 Plush 1000 in to be resurrected this week. It's blue sparkle.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I have the same amp (P1000S) which I need to get tuned up, so I can sell it. But it's a money losing proposition.

RAGER

Well it's not worth anything the way it is so I figure I'll fix it so I can use it. I gutted our basement a couple weeks ago so I'll start moving stuff from my little room out into the main area so I'll have room to set everything up. I already set up my drums.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER

Frankenstein Ludwigs all set up.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

My kit is crappier than your kit.

RAGER

It's actually pretty cool. Just mismatched. I'll break it down.

'74 24"  Ludwig Vistalite
'66 16" Blue sparkle floor
Supraphonic snare. My old drummer who is a Ludwig nerd says its the oldest Blue olive badge Supra he's seen. It's als lived its entire life right here as a part of a church kit. It has the church name engraved on it from 42nd ave. And is in spectacular shape.
Early 70's 13" blue olive badge rack tom

Cymbals are mainly Zildjian. Hardware is varied. Kick pedal is basic Pearl model. I used to buy one when I found one. I like them but I'd break them too.

Wooden beater used to belong to Janet Weiss while in Sleater Kinney and before.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER

It goes hand in hand with my VW sign.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

No break down necessary. Garbage kit. Genny can floor tom.

RAGER

Had to take my Orange to the shop yesterday. Not sounding right at all. Pulled it out of the head sleeve to take a visual. Found a grid resistor had come loose but had also melted some wiring. So it'll get that fixed. NOS screen grid resistors, caps and some Svetlana EL34's.

I took an old Plush in to be resurrected too.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Proper love.

I've got some Winged-C's for my Marshall.

Viva l'Orange! I've never played one but was on an 80 watt kick for a minute. Actually never heard that one in person but I loooove 2x12 combos. How aboot that early JCM800 2x12 (good god, a beast of an amp. Beast mode city) 2x12 Ampeg blue stripe (sold off to a national act and where it needed to go). Prefer EL84 based 2x12 amps myself (had several dangit let 'em go, rare ones ) for the jangle-pop and whatnot. That Ampeg was a beast though. Actually loved that one alot. TOO LOUD though.

RAGER, nice treatment you are giving the those old amps. Play on!

80 watt. Are they any good?

RAGER

That looks like an OR80 with reverb maybe. I see the two small tubes where two more EL34's would be in a 120.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Oh yeah, that's a spring tank. Funny!  Damn, those tranny's are giant. I realize now how unrealistic it would be to own that amp. Way too much of everything - I mean the volume to get it roasting. I should be looking at a tiny terror signature model or something. Even just an Orange in a pedal for the silly things I do would work goood enough. /rambling.

I thought of the 50 watter Orange heads last night. Retro 50 or something.

One day when I was at Soldano's shop, he's a huge Orange nut - and had one in the showroom - some kinda 100 watt graphic full stack or something. I tried to buy it from him. Duh, no-go. Unobtanium. At least I got to gawk.

EARTH played tiny terror. Kinda genius in terms of his setup. (or plain ole cheap) Gorgeous tone though, for days.

RAGER

Big ol Orange graphic full stack you say?  Yeah I got one.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quite a piece of kit indeed! Giant fog or something.