"do we have time for one more?"

Started by liquidsmoke, March 01, 2013, 12:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Last band? Sure, makes sense. Otherwise, do you not have a phone in your pocket with which to check the time? Do you not know how long your set was supposed to be or what time you were supposed to be done?

mortlock

sounds like someone over stayed their welcome..happens all the time.

khoomeizhi

that question always seems like the person asking it is fishing for some kind of 'OMG i don't even care who's next you guys are so good keep playing KEEP PLAYING' response. and rarely deserve it.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

natehusky

What they are really asking is "mind if we play one more "

Jake

It's a rare thing to actually have a band play a short to "just right" set. Seems like most bands will drag sets on so long that the show can flip from a net positive to a negative.

It may be fun for them to be up there playing, but leaving the crowd wanting more (as opposed to dreading more) is a real virtue.
poop.

the diddler

My band plays tonight- the last of four, as it's our record release show.  We'll be lucky to do 35 minutes, and that includes a break to defibrillate the drummer.  "play one more!"?  Fuck that, I'm tired man

core9

I HATE to play more than 30 minutes.  I just don't feel it is necessary unless you are some "known" band and people are expecting more.  I never feel comfortable being up there for too long, when you know that a good chunk of the crowd is just seeing you for the 1st time.  You definitely don't want to overstay your welcome.

I agree......always leave them wanting more.  Better than boring the shit out of people and turning them off to what you are trying to accomplish.

Lumpy

There's a thing in the Village Voice this week -- "Things That Piss Off The Soundguy". It says "do we have time for one more?" is an attempt to override the schedule by getting the audience involved.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Corey Y

Quote from: Lumpy on March 01, 2013, 12:35:34 PM
There's a thing in the Village Voice this week -- "Things That Piss Off The Soundguy". It says "do we have time for one more?" is an attempt to override the schedule by getting the audience involved.

I tend to agree with that assessment. The version of that move I've heard most often, which I think is way worse/stupid, is "how many more songs do we have time for?".

lordfinesse

Billy Squier 24/7

Jake

Yup. There have been very few (maybe no?) local bands that have ever finished a set before I wanted them to.

I saw a show recently that if the band would have played 30min or less, they would have been gods. Instead, they played for over an hour and it totally exhausted any momentum they would have had otherwise.
poop.

Pissy

Quote from: Jake on March 01, 2013, 01:43:50 PM
Yup. There have been very few (maybe no?) local bands that have ever finished a set before I wanted them to.

I saw a show recently that if the band would have played 30min or less, they would have been gods. Instead, they played for over an hour and it totally exhausted any momentum they would have had otherwise.

Yeah, lordfinesse is really a stickler for that.  Nate and I always want to play more, but you're right, it works out for the best.  We get told, that it seems like we were just getting started all the time.
Vinyls.   deal.

Jake

Well that there is another reason why I'm gay for your band.
poop.

mortlock

that may be one of the best things about noise/power electronic bands. 15 minutes is considered a full set..

spookstrickland

Usually my old bands would work out a 30 minute set and end up playing it in 25 minutes because of High Energy those were the best gigs.  40 minutes and even I'm too tired to enjoy myself.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

clockwork green

I personally don't care if other bands run long. Nobody gives that much of a fuck for all but a few select bands in this scene. It's not like crowds have ever demanded my brand of marginal entertainment.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

mortlock

i dont care if bands run long just as long as theyre not playing before the band i want to see..

Andrew Blakk

Well isn't more a question to the sound guy to stretch the gig time a bit more than not keeping track themselves?

If the band is rocking then it's fine by me.

I prefer to play around 45 min shows (8-9 songs). Then you can play around with the setlists a bit more and the dynamics.

30 minutes is way to short imo, but sometimes that's all you get though. That's normaly just 6 songs which is a bit to few. Those extra 10 -15 minutes does it all lol...

Chovie D

I dont wear a watch, i dont have a cell phone and even if I did I wouldnt pull it out on stage to check the time. usually after 3 songs im tired and want my bong...Ive probably asked how much time we've had hoping it was over. I dont think its that heinous a crime. It never bothered me during the brief period I did sound...probably becuase:

When i did sound I would tell the opening band how much time they had and I told em before they went on, "I will let you know when you have one more song"...and I would if i felt they were gonna go over thier alloted time. You dont have to pull out a big hook or anything, just tell em gently over the stage monitors. MOst, almost all , bands mopily comply. Once I told this band(kids) "one more"...they played one more, then tried to launch into another...so i cut the stage power.

What I  hated as a performer and a member of an audience was when a band would over stay their welcome and the soundguy would just let em go on and on and on. I saw an opening band do an hour and half set....at first people were into them, but after an hour they started getting grumpy and by the end they were getting heckled.

fallen

Play for 30 minutes if you want, play for 40 minutes if you want...

Just don't turn a 25-30 minute set into a 45 minute set by rambling on and/or telling lame jokes between songs. If you want to be a comedian or if you want to do spoken word poetry fuck off to some other venue where I don't have to see it.

A tiny bit of "this song is called" or "this is our last song, check out our merch table" or "1 - 2 - 3 - 4" is fine but that's about it.

liquidsmoke

Many good points have been made here.

I think it's more of a problem at smaller venues with small vocals only PAs where one of the bartenders is the unofficial soundguy and is too busy serving drinks to come out and tell the band "no, you're already 5 minutes over your alloted time and there are still 3 more bands to go". That's when bands need to be watching the clock themselves so the last band gets more than 15 minutes.

Danny G

Shorter is better for multi-band bills.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Ranbat

Playing heavier stuff, I like the 30 minute set. I really don't get how cover bands do it filling a whole night. I was looking at joining one of those bands. I dreaded learning half the set and figured maybe that wasn't for me.
Meh :/

Metal and Beer

30 mins. or less, unless you're Neurosis.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

I,Galactus

"do we have time for one more?" doesn't piss me off nearly as badly as "we're gonna wait for some more people to show up."

Fuck you, bill says doors @ 7 / show's @ 9, start the fucking show already!  >:(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"