What are YOU up to, DIY/projectwise? Ask for help?

Started by VOLVO))), February 16, 2013, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Its "engine" is the 556 IC which is 2 555 IC's in 1 14 pin configuration. I think the original design used the two 555's.  I've seen other builds with two IC's on the pcb.  It's capable of pulses and oscillation or square waves. The Moog via control voltage introduced a sawtooth wave similar to an LFO but not. Kinda creating some pulse width modulation.

Or whatever.

I'll scrounge around and find some kinda case to put it in. A dolls head us a popular one but I nuh got dat.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

How about a die cast model car.  Like a 53 chevy.  Or a 65 gto. It'd probably need to be like 1/18 scale, larger than a typical hot wheels. Jacks drilled into the trunk, knobs on the top and hood.

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Probably not those but I do have several VW toys and stuff. Hmmmm. I'll look around.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Yeah that'd be cool. A Tonka truck might be fun too, not that you'd have one lying around.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I actually gave a Tonka RV around someplace cuz ya know RV's.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Oh yeah. Made one of these up for a friend. Been making and using something like this for about 15 years. Use to think I needed to keep it quiet cuz I never see anybody making anything like it but it's so stupid simple that eh whatever....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

That's cool.  See if one sells on the auction site.  Might be your ticket out of here.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

The first couple I pulled the guts out of a multimeter, stuck it on ohms and rehoused it in a project box with a mono jack attached to it janky like. But you needed a speaker cable. I'd go look at speaker cabs off CL and whip this thing outta my pocket behind the cab and check it. Guy would go "hey what's that?"  Oh I just checked it with a meter I'd say. "Oh ok."

Sneaky.

Eventually I just soldered the jack on the leads when I came across cheapo but built seemingly sturdy meters. And here we are.
No Focus Pocus

socket

Played my first show in Star Viper's first show on keys last night. Had a blast. Broke through the extreme stage fright and nerves and now super pumped for the next one!
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

Rad dude. Sometimes I miss my playing live.I just don't miss all the other shit involved   

I remember plenty of times being nervous and cursing myself for writing difficult to play odd time riffs. 'Why can't you just play normal?'
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: socket on April 03, 2023, 01:30:11 PMPlayed my first show in Star Viper's first show on keys last night. Had a blast. Broke through the extreme stage fright and nerves and now super pumped for the next one!
hell yeah!! post pics.

socket

Quote from: mortlock on April 04, 2023, 07:34:16 PM
Quote from: socket on April 03, 2023, 01:30:11 PMPlayed my first show in Star Viper's first show on keys last night. Had a blast. Broke through the extreme stage fright and nerves and now super pumped for the next one!
hell yeah!! post pics.
Moving pics:

https://youtu.be/g2nJHM5SVgc
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

mortlock

since im in rochester and youre in pittsburgh, im thinking we need to play a show together this summer.

Danny G

Custom tremolo for Mike from Flametrick Subs

Based on the EA Tremolo from GeneralGuitarGadgets (Fender tremolo emulator) with a toggle switch to also use it as a clean boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Pissy

That's cool!

I'm putting my 1975 Jazz bass back together as is.  

Long story on this one, but it's one I bought off the internet about 15 years ago.  It was black, maple neck with block pearloid inlay.  The neck is yellow as fuck, almost red now on the headstock.  It had been painted and the paint never cured.  So much so, that the case stuck to the body when I opened it.  It would always do this.  I think it was in a really humid swampy environment where the dude lived in Florida. The electronics were shot.  Bridge rusty, hardware corroded.  I put DiMarzio model J's in it. Added a Badass bridge.  No idea where the old one is.  

Finally i scraped the finish off down to the wood.  I had intended to have it painted mocha brown, but having it done would probably cost $800 now.  So instead it's going back together without paint. As is. Honest.  It's still got most of the sanding sealer on it, so it feels good.  

I'll get some pics. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Tab rusted off of that front volume pot.  I think I have a 250k around here.  I thought I changed these out back then, but these look hella old. 

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

double

Muffin Man

Quote from: Muffin Man on April 21, 2023, 04:32:17 AMthose inlays look like butterscotch candy. I wonder if that neck is original the tuners and pegs, nut, whatnot. Glad it's not mocha for the time being just to see it as is Backguard Tele baby! Yeah that near pot is hilarious - keep it for posterity!

nice clean shop. nice 12 string D shape.

Pissy

Pretty sure it's the original neck and tuners. 

That section of the shop in the pic is misleading.  Shop is a wreck. It's where I do the ebay selling, so there's boxes strewn about.  

The 6 string acoustic is really a gem.  A Yamaha department store guitar that was $100 used and it sounds and plays awesome.  The 12 string sounds great too, but i don't play it much because its just a bitch tuning 12 strings.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Doing a little research it looks like it's an early 1975 with those pots (CTS) dating to the 51st week of 1974.  The 4 bolt neck is not common among 1975 models, but not unheard of.  They transitioned to 3 bolt necks with the micro-adjust hole in 75, but used up the parts from the previous design while they made the transition.  The heel adjustment truss rod is also indicative of early 1975, making the transition to the bullet adjustment at the headstock at the same time.  

The serial on the neck plate is 648716 which also is 1975 according to the internet. 

I bought it back then because I like Jazz Basses and it's the year I was born.  Possibly the same month, January. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

It's ALIVE!!!!

I'll need to intonate it. Set the action etc... but it plays great and sounds great.  Neck feels really smooth to hold and slide on.  
Vinyls.   deal.