Main Menu

the gig flyer thread

Started by liquidsmoke, January 24, 2013, 03:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Did a search, couldn't fine one so..

Never made one before. Using Picasa and just putting simple text over a picture and everything looks too fuzzy blown up to actual size on the screen. Wondering what some better ways/programs are to use.

What do y'all do?

MichaelZodiac

When I did hardcore punk shows I'd always go for the cut n paste style since my computer skills don't extend to the use of Photoshop or Illustrator. If I would do shows again or just make flyers, I'd probably go the same route.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Jake

I get lazy and do ripoff stuff sometimes, ala early 90s skateboard companies.

poop.

liquidsmoke

I was thinking about using a movie still.

Photoshop isn't free to my knowledge. Any freeware that is good for flyers?

Discö Rice

Photobucket has a decent photo editor.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Pissy

If you know how to use photoshop, Gimp is free. If you don't, big learning curve.

Also, OpenOffice has a Draw program that might be ok for flyer work. He'll, I've done them in Paintbrush. 
Vinyls.   deal.

James1214

I use gimp (open source program similar to photoshop) for photo editing and coloring drawings and use inkscape (open source program similar to illustrator) for text and other things that vector based graphics are better suited for.
words

Lumpy

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 24, 2013, 03:02:31 AM
Did a search, couldn't fine one so..

Never made one before. Using Picasa and just putting simple text over a picture and everything looks too fuzzy blown up to actual size on the screen. Wondering what some better ways/programs are to use.

What do y'all do?

If they're "e-flyers" (not printed) just make sure your background image looks good at the correct size. Are you working with your graphics small, then blowing up later? Your software should not be degrading your image, it's probably something you are doing, along the way.

Monitor resolution is typically 72 ppi (points per inch, aka dots per inch). A typical flyer might 800x600 (pixels, not inches) at 72dpi. Start with your background pic at the correct size. Don't use inches as a measurement if your flyer will never be printed. If printed, your flyer needs to start out as paper-size (inches) and 300 dpi (or 150 minimum, starts looking like crap below that). Then save a copy which is scaled down, for your e-flyer. You can't scale up without losing quality.

Try Gimp as mentioned. There should be tutorials on Youtube etc (adding text in Gimp, or whatever). I think it's only for PC though?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

In addition, the big problem I have (when trying to make printed flyers) is finding high quality background images. A 72 dpi image that looks good on your monitor will look like crap if it's blown up four times its' size (72 into 300, or whatever). When hunting for images, only use huge JPG backgrounds if you plan on making prints. Dimensions in the thousands (of pixels).

Lumpy

I steal everything for flyers, I consider them disposable. This size is fine for an e-vite (or whatver they're called) IMO:

mortlock

i love cut and paste fliers as opposed to computer generated fliers. i actually collect them.

mortlock

some favs from the collection..

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on January 24, 2013, 08:14:16 PM
I steal everything for flyers, I consider them disposable. This size is fine for an e-vite (or whatver they're called) IMO:

This is an awesome idea! I love that movie and it's soundtrack. Damn me for not being able to fly to see this show. I hope it's filmed or at least audio recorded.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on January 24, 2013, 06:04:50 PM
In addition, the big problem I have (when trying to make printed flyers) is finding high quality background images. A 72 dpi image that looks good on your monitor will look like crap if it's blown up four times its' size (72 into 300, or whatever). When hunting for images, only use huge JPG backgrounds if you plan on making prints. Dimensions in the thousands (of pixels).

Yup, this is my problem.

The flyer will be on Facebook as well as printed so it's got to look good. Mercian's second gig.

I'll fool around some more, check out Gimp, and also make sure I start with a giant picture to add text to. Not going to be using any band logos at least so that's one less headache.

Thanks everyone.

liquidsmoke

grimniggzy

I'm ghetto & use MS Paint.
Here's a couple favs...

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

liquidsmoke

The third design and one I went with

The pic is a random one from Google that I altered somewhat. The show will be in Madison, WI.

Lumpy

Nice pic, good job.

Try not to mix font styles unless you really have to (which is almost never) You have serif (Times?) and san serif (Helvetica?) in that flyer (Jesus wept). That's what they told me in Graphic Design 101. Exceptions can be made (band logos for example) or maybe mixing a fancy font for the fun info (ex: festival name) with a plain font for the practical info (date, time). It doesn't matter, it still looks cool and does what it's supposed to do. But try to stick with one font, whichever one you choose.

liquidsmoke

I had that thought but dismissed it considering that I don't know anything about graphic design, lol.

Next time. If I'm ever allowed to make a flyer again that is.

Pissy

constructively speaking, That one might be hard to read from a few feet away, due to the blackness.  That being said, I'm no expert my self in getting a flyer to stand out.  Some dudes just have a knack for that stuff.

Lumpy's suggestion about fonts is enlightening.  

A buddy of mine has made a little business out of flyers.  a couple of his designs:

Notice the font thing that Lumpy mentioned.  Looks like he took that same class.

here is his site:

http://www.rockoutgraphics.com/portfolio/flyers.php
Vinyls.   deal.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Pissy on February 03, 2013, 08:38:18 AM
constructively speaking, That one might be hard to read from a few feet away, due to the blackness.  

Very good point. I like the blackness though.

Pissy

for online e-marketing it's be fine.
Vinyls.   deal.

Lumpy

Your first flyer is better than my first flyer.