How do you promote your own bands?

Started by Andrew Blakk, November 11, 2012, 09:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Blakk

When my band started out I did a lot of myspaceing and used DC++ spreading of the music(You know.. Oh I see your downloading this, well check out my band...) . Sent demos half around the world to reviewers, bloggers etc. Tried to spread the word so to speak. Using the net for posting flyers to shows etc. A lot of DIY.

But nowerdays it feels a bit harder. Or maybe I've just gotten old, lazy and comfortable lol. Of course we do the same things as we did before but...

So it would be awesome with some input here.

How do you promote your band?

Pissy

Really a good way to get your name out there among this small group of heavy lovers is to play one of the small festivals that folks put on.  Like that one in Little Rock.  It really goes a long way.
Vinyls.   deal.

Ranbat

I think you're right about it being harder. While there are more avenues to promote your band than ever, how do you decide which to use? Which will be the most effective? And if there is cost involved, which will be the best bang for the buck?
Meh :/

Pissy

Quote from: Pissy on November 11, 2012, 09:59:23 AM

Really a good way to get your name out there among this small group of heavy lovers is to play one of the small festivals that folks put on.  Like that one in Little Rock.  It really goes a long way.

Ha,
I just realized you were in Sweden.  Doesn't the gov't give you free promotion in Sweden?  The rumor over here is that there are grants for bands to buy equipment.  Is that true?
Vinyls.   deal.

Volume

Quote from: Pissy on November 11, 2012, 11:46:40 AM

Ha,
I just realized you were in Sweden.  Doesn't the gov't give you free promotion in Sweden?  The rumor over here is that there are grants for bands to buy equipment.  Is that true?

In Finland we have all kinds of foundations and organizations that give away money (for touring/recording/etc) or promote bands abroad. You just have to know where to apply and write good applications. Of course it helps if you have your shit together and can show that you actually do something worthwhile with the money. I'm pretty sure it's the same in the rest of scandinavia.

zachoff

Play good shows.  I've never been much of a promoter but if you play your ass off, even in front of 5 or 10 people, those people tell other people and word spreads.

Pissy

Quote from: Volume on November 11, 2012, 12:01:36 PM

Ha,

In Finland we have all kinds of foundations and organizations that give away money (for touring/recording/etc) or promote bands abroad. You just have to know where to apply and write good applications. Of course it helps if you have your shit together and can show that you actually do something worthwhile with the money. I'm pretty sure it's the same in the rest of scandinavia.

Than that seems pretty cut and dry simple.

Buy ad space and get reviews in the best and most well read publications in northern Europe, then use that notariety to play Roadburn.
Vinyls.   deal.

clockwork green

Have as much stuff on YouTube and bandcamp and all that other shit so people can have easy, instant access. If I hear someone mention a cool new band but can't find their music online easily then I usually just forget about them because there are tons of other good bands that do have stuff out there to satisfy the instant gratification we've grown accustomed to.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

mortlock

play as many shows as possible..record shit and release it, have a cool merch table..make buttons and stickers. they are cheap as fuck to make and go along way..maximum bang for the buck.

AgentofOblivion

Quote from: mortlock on November 11, 2012, 11:34:02 PM
play as many shows as possible..record shit and release it, have a cool merch table..make buttons and stickers. they are cheap as fuck to make and go along way..maximum bang for the buck.

You really think buttons and stickers are worthwhile?  I just don't really see them ever and wouldn't have a clue what to do with a button.  Have you had a good experience?  I'm not disagreeing, just curious.

Concerning general promotional methods, I'll share my thoughts but take them with a grain of salt because I'm in the beginning stages of building a "real" band and I'm far from having it all figured out.  My focus has been on finding the quickest path to meeting the right people and doing my best to pull my own weight when those people throw you a bone.  I did that by networking.  Booked some time at a local studio/rehearsal space and spent some time getting acquainted with the owner who is heavily involved in the scene.  I picked his brain and he was a tremendous help.  I started hanging out at a bar down the street and it happened to be that the bass player from one of the coolest and most successful heavy bands works there.  He knows all the right people.  He was kind enough to give us an opening slot on a show he put together and we brought out a good number of people.  I recently saw that my favorite band is coming to town in a couple months.  I asked him if he knew the guy putting on the show and would put in the good word for us.  He did and now it's looking like we have a great chance to get that gig.  We've accomplished that despite only having played 5 or 6 shows total and no real release behind us. 

Now we're finishing up mixing a split record that we're releasing soon (double the exposure because the other band is handing out to all the people they know as well as cutting the cost of pressing in half).  We hired a friend that's a professional artist to make really bizarre, cool looking shit for the package.  Getting T-shirts printed.  Will then make a promo card and start mailing shit out to local radio stations and periodicals, e-mail stuff to blogs...etc. 

But ultimately, who you know is everything.  If you're part of the "in crowd" to the people that book the shows, write the reviews for the "hip" periodicals, record the material, print the t-shirts, promote, and make all the wonderful things happen that you want to participate in, you're infinitely better off than if you're just a great band without connections.  You also get to meet a bunch of kick ass people that are interested in the same stuff as you.  Case in point, the bass player that helped us out so much is friends with some of the people that write for THE periodical in our city that has any credibility for the type of people that might come to your show.  Can you imagine the reviews and exposure your band would get if one of your best friends worked for the paper?  This is not to say that it's necessary, but it sure makes it easier if the people pulling the strings know you exist and like you well enough.  If the question is about growing outside of your city, I'm not sure.  I would imagine you would want to ask for connections from your friends that have done it before.  Example, "You played Ohio before.  Where should I play and who should I talk to?"  Once you start talking to that person, they should know about their scene well enough to help you put on a successful show.  But what do I know?

mortlock

you can have 100 buttons made for 25 dollars and 250 vinyl stickers made for 20 dollars..dirt cheap and you give them out. everyone loves free shit.

doing splits is something ive always supported. you split the cost and it helps expose both bands to different people.
nothing replaces playing alot and touring or doing long weekends out of town. eventually you need to expand your horizions outside of your home town..

Andrew Blakk

Ha,

Hm, for real? ;)  :)

Acctually I´ve heard that some band for example like Saharah Hotnights has gotten some serious financial support in the beginning. But I do asume that it's not that common at all. At least I've never heard of it. Maybe there are bands who get tour support as well but those band must be on a more serious level perhaps?

You can get some support it you start up a sort of study circle and the get some financially aid through that..... (can't really explain it in english lol). We acctually got some support when we printed tour poster earlier this year through this. And the the study groups can get financial aid to buy a PA system for example. But with that comes lists to be filled in, a specific amount of rehearsal time etc... It's a system to get new band started so to speak.

Yes...

Live shows and getting your shit together is something I do take for granted. That's a minimum... And using FB, soundcloud and various...

I'm more interesseted in what you do except that. More DIY stylish...

Mortlocks suggestion isn´t bad at all but it takes of course some balls to confront people. But still of course nessecary.
Pins and stickers as well. Flyers etc... business cards lol ( Yes I'm serious)
Just something to spread your name with...

So a short list then:
1 Get your shit together (music, band + liveshows)
2 Talk to people. Promotors, other band, djs, the guy/girl at the bar  etc...
3 Something to spread your name with. Stickers, buttons, flyers... Goes hand in hand with no 2.
4 Send out stuff for reviews
5 Use plattforms like FB, Spotify, Soundcloud, Bandcamp etc...

Naxzul

Run off some CD burns (or get them printed/duplicated professionally if you want to) and hand them out for free at shows. No one wants to buy a CD of a band they've never heard of anymore. Expect to lose a bit of money but blank CD's and print labels should set you back about $50 for 100. Not too steep.

Similarly to the business card route, print out small tear offs with your band details on them. An A4 sheet of paper will give you heaps. Then if you're talking to someone about the band you've got that physical item to give to them for a reminder instead of hoping they'll remember when they're sober/next month, etc. Chances are they won't look your band up based on a scrap of paper but it's a better shot than just telling them about it.
http://deadriverrunsdry.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/DeadRiverRunsDry

RacerX

I'll do ya one better: Free drugs at shows.
Livin' The Life.

The Gentlemen Bastards

haha well, I tried to get some people on this site to review our music, but no one followed the link. Otherwise, just constantly looking for new sites and blogs who will post reviews. Try to maintain an active fb page with some kind of content or a new pic every couple days. Building that initial buzz is the hardest part. After you get through all of your buddies, it's murder to find new people willing to give you the time of day. But, as someone else on here suggested, there is no better way to promote than playing shows. If you're good, people will eventually notice.

Dylan Thomas

Playing live is overrated as far as exposure is concerned.  Sure, every little bit helps, and serious time on the road (month long tours nationally and internationally, year in year out) will pay in the long run. However, how many people most bands actually expose their music to through live performances is staggeringly small and regionally located.  It's often better NOT to play life at all, or very rarely, in order to focus on writing and recording, as this is what it's really about.  This is where most bands who work a day job mess up.  Playing live is immediately gratifying, being on stage, feeling the energy of the crowd, etc etc.  Bands put a lot of time and effort into their live performance.  Ultimately, it's the strength of the recorded material that will win the band lasting merit.  It's tough for bands to realize they should be focusing more of their efforts on their song crafting, as there often isn't as quick of a payoff.

Look at a band like Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats: haven't played live, huge buzz over their recordings.  Look at Goat - similar situation, although they took off even quicker and I think they've done some live shows already.  Now they're both playing Roadburn, and the anticipation is staggering.  

Let's look at how these bands have done it.  They developed a fairly distinctive and take on an established sound within a genre or subgenre, they've developed an aesthetic to match that sound, and most importantly, either they or the people around them know how to tell a good story about their band and music.  Ultimately, that's what hooks people.  People like a good story.  Doesn't have to be true, in fact probably the more embellished and hyperbole filled it becomes, the more infectious it grows.

There are literally truckloads of bands out there competing for the time and attention of listeners and music fans.  I call it "the white noise", because it's just a constant bombardment of publicity, spamming, "listen to this", "review this", "read this review", "buy this", "check out my bandcamp", etc.  The problem most bands will run up against is that they're doing the exact same things the exact same way that every other band is, and therefore they just seem like another sheep in the herd.  The bands that get listened to are the ones how have a way of cutting through the white noise, distinguishing themselves, and ultimately presenting themselves in a compelling enough way that people talk about them and seek out their music.  It's all just information, even the music itself, the secret to success is in how you present that information.  Uncle Acid tell some story about how they practice in a haunted barn with televisions blaring old Hammer Horror videos.  Goat have some weird thing about how they're refuges who practiced Voodoo or some nonsense, and it's obviously total bullshit.  People eat it up though, it cloaks them in this shroud of mystery.  .  Look at Ghost as another example of this, and as another band that had it made before they played their first show.  Why?  They were mysterious and they had a crazy story that people bought into.  Being mysterious is a good thing in the entertainment industry, and nothing exceeds like excess.

That's an important one, never forget that it's called the entertainment industry for a reason, and nothing is more entertaining than a good story.  That's how humans have entertained each other from the dawn of time.

Even bands like Kyuss and Sleep have the crazy stories surrounding them, desert generator parties, spending half of your advance on weed, obsessions with certain amplifiers, delivering master tapes in skulls shaped bongs, etc.  All the big bands have their mythos that surrounds them.

I'm not saying that having a shit hot live show isn't important.  It is.  Knowing the right people and developing powerful connections can be equally important.  However, people telling other people that they saw an awesome band live, that's nothing too special.  Plenty of bands are awesome life.  Having friends in high places talk about you ain't that special either, as others in the scene will know they'll often prop up their friends regardless.  Once again, I'm not saying to ignore these things, just remember where the real power is.  A band's story, that's something that is unique to them.  A good story, no other band has that story, and when people tell it to one another, it applies only to that band.  And if it's a good story, people will tell it and spread it.  Then the band becomes the story itself.  That's where the real magic is, don't forget it.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

There's a band called Goat? I hate bands with names so plain you can't look them up because you'll get billions of unrelated crap.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

moose23

Quote from: clockwork green on November 29, 2012, 08:23:45 PM
There's a band called Goat? I hate bands with names so plain you can't look them up because you'll get billions of unrelated crap.

Just stick name + band into google and it's the first hit. Much much better band than Uncle Acid too.