Main Menu

Do you practice?

Started by Andrew Blakk, October 11, 2012, 05:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Blakk

Yes or no? Why or why not?

Regardless of your instrument that means.

Well I do. I've come to the conclusion that I must do something about my guitar solos. Basically I'm a pentatonic noodler and damn proud of it.
So I'm pretty much starting over again from the beginning on a daily bascis. It would be great just to not have to struggle as hell
every time. ::) So it's technique, phrases, licks and playing other bands solos. And it's acctually working. I'n slowly starting to think in new ways.
How about that after more than 20 years of playing. I guess it's never to late...

When it comes to the riffing and writing I'm always developing. I don't feel that I have to practice technique really to get where I want as
I do when it comes to those bloody solos. Well I could get me another guitar player to do the job...?! Ehm no.  ;D In this band I'M the guitar player...

So that was the answer to the Yes and Why...

Now your turn!

natehusky

Only at band practices . But I'm a drummer so it might be a little different . But at practice I might work on something to warm up or play something I heard on the way over to see if anyone pics up on it or if I can play it . Other than that I think about the drums a lot . Sometimes I hear something or something inspires me & I come up with a beat I want to try . Problem is I never remember then .

RacerX

1) Yes, as often as I can make time for it.

2) So I suck less.
Livin' The Life.

Sam Hain

Yes...I try to practice at least 1/2 hour a day. Mostly just riffing around.

clockwork green

Do I work on new techniques? Very rarely. Do I work on writing new songs? All the time. I'm not sure if everyone would call that practicing or not.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RacerX

I'd call that "songwriting."
Livin' The Life.

bass sic

Bass not so much anymore. Just to destress if I need it. But I'm pretty new to the guitar so I practice as much as I can which still isn't much. Drums only in the winter when the neighbors are less likely to hear it.

Discö Rice

Yes I do, because like RacerX, I suck more when I don't.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

clockwork green

Quote from: RacerX on October 11, 2012, 08:57:34 AM
I'd call that "songwriting."
Yeah but there are elements of new things. Maybe I'll have a chord or scale book out but maybe 20 times in my 21 years of playing have I worked on fundamental skills.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Never because practice makes perfect, and the definition of perfect is one who conforms absolutely to the ideal.

the above is humour, spelt with two u's ;)

Lumpy

Not lately - I've been too depressed (about not practicing ;))
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Corey Y

I do, not as much as I should though. I usually work on improving specific techniques and keeping my timing tight. I find whether I'm playing with a pick or fingerstyle, I tend to get really dialed in on one and suffer on the other. So I've been trying to alternate between the two a lot, so I can switch seamlessly. The only thing that throws me off, a reason I should be practicing more, is that I have several basses that I use for different projects. They all have different feels and I tend to adjust my technique in subtle ways to adapt to each. So if I'm playing one a lot and I switch to the other, I flounder a bit until I get used to it again. Especially if I'm switching between basses that have a different scale length or pickups in different spots, so I'm hitting the strings in a different spot.

Hemisaurus

I guess, how many people just noodle on their instrument, vs. practice with a recording, vs. practice with a metronome or click?

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 11, 2012, 03:41:30 PM
I guess, how many people just noodle on their instrument, vs. practice with a recording, vs. practice with a metronome or click?

I don't worry too much about what others are doing; I do know what works for me: practice.
Livin' The Life.

Discö Rice

I practice rudiments. Mostly things with flams. Flamadiddles, Swiss triplets, Flam taps, plain old flams with alternating accent hands and feet. As far as I'm concerned, if your flams are crappy (loose, flollopy), you'll never sound appropriately heavy. They should sound like fireworks at high volume, and you should be able to put them in a fill wherever you feel like it, which is why practicing all kinds of sticking/foot patterns with them is important.

I practice double strokes a lot, too. The faster and more consistent you are with double strokes, the better you'll be at almost everything, rudiment wise.

Also single hand push/pull stuff and Moeller exercises will help kick your speed way up.

/drum boobery.

Hemisaurus

I'm sure all that means something :)

You got a beginners guide to drumming somewhere?

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 11, 2012, 04:37:13 PM
I'm sure all that means something :)

You got a beginners guide to drumming somewhere?

Look up rudiments on Youtube.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

natehusky

Quote from: Discö Rice on October 11, 2012, 04:28:24 PM
I practice rudiments. Mostly things with flams. Flamadiddles, Swiss triplets, Flam taps, plain old flams with alternating accent hands and feet. As far as I'm concerned, if your flams are crappy (loose, flollopy), you'll never sound appropriately heavy. They should sound like fireworks at high volume, and you should be able to put them in a fill wherever you feel like it, which is why practicing all kinds of sticking/foot patterns with them is important.

I practice double strokes a lot, too. The faster and more consistent you are with double strokes, the better you'll be at almost everything, rudiment wise.

Also single hand push/pull stuff and Moeller exercises will help kick your speed way up.

/drum boobery.
I know what you are talking about I just have the vocabulary or the discipline to practice that stuff . I listen to the dudes practicing drums at the practice place for hours & I just think how on earth can they do it

Discö Rice

Yeah man, all of that stuff is just a google search away, with all kinds of youtube videos that give very detailed instruction and advice. As far as discipline goes, a lot of my practice happens sitting in front of the T.V. at home. Doesn't take a ton of discipline to pick up a pair of sticks and work out rudiments on your thigh while you zone out to Honey Boo Boo or whatever, and even a little bit of it will go a long way.

VOLVO)))

I play guitar and see how long I can ride before hitting a goofy note, then I stop.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Me too. And that's about three notes in.

Hemisaurus

The secret is to start on the goofy note. ;)

themusketking

I don't really "practice" but I jam a lot by myself.  Oddly enough, I'm a bass player that never plays bass(outside of band practice).  I pretty much play guitar at home on a regular basis.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

ryansummit

im down at the space once a week by myself
i call that practice
try to do the stuff i do with the drummer so i get my coordination down
pedal switching and changes and whatnot
i went a long time with no gear,and when i had it back then  i was just using amp distortion
so all the pedals and delay is still new to me
and its embarassing learning it in front of someone who is very savvy to the whole thing
i also try and pick up my guitar once a day,even if to go through scale to get my fingers in shape
i definately consider myself a beginner still,and not being able to play whats in my head is frustrating
tryin to get my hands to catch up with 10 years of whats in my head sucks,but exciting at the same time

RacerX

Quotenot being able to play whats in my head is frustrating

BINGO!

And THAT is the prime reason learning a bit of theory & putting in yer practice hours is a good idea.
Livin' The Life.