Main Menu

anyone play a PRS?

Started by jibberish, August 01, 2012, 01:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

screw "cred", those feel like pieces of art.   santana gets all the tone i would ever hope for out of one. 
those 2 things have made me really interested in one now.

what is the word from people who have used one? Has the lower end SE w/e PRS line which is made in Korea or somewhere else been checked out by anyone? TIA

(GC quit having 10 PRS on the wall some time ago already, that sucked)

fallen

The neck shape is good and they play great. The offset body shape and small headstock means that they are balanced on a strap. Not balanced as perfect as a Strat but close. They are really comfortable guitars. The design has some thought put into it. Volume in the perfect position etc.

I have a $600 ish SE model and the stock pickups are very middle of the road. Great if you want a guitar to do everything and have other guitars. Meaning that you won't notice the pickup sound like hot humbucker or a good set of P90s or something. Pretty sure the woodgrain on the top of mine is printed, it looks pretty good even if it's fake.

Compared to my other set neck double cut guitar, a '91 Gibson SG, the PRS neck is slimmer which I like better, the fit and finish is a lot better, the neck joint is a lot more solid and doesn't flex when I play like the SG. The SG looks cooler but I play the PRS a lot more often.

harm.on.x

I played a McCarty for years. A U.S. made one. I played a Korean one only once so I can't say I have much experience with Korean ones. There is definitely a large amount of differences between the two though. They are immediately noticeable.
I played the Custom model too but never actually owned one so I will only offer my opinion on the McCarty.

The McCarty has the wide-fat neck, think fat neck Les Pauls kind of feel (the ones from the 50's or their reissues). The PRS standard radius is 10", somewhere in between a Fender and a Gibson. In general Paul Reed Smith went for an in between approach in quite a few of his design decisions. So regardless of fat, thin, wide, narrow neck offerings, you get a 10" radius fretboard on all PRS guitars. There might be some signature models as an exception to that rule but I doubt there are many.

It's a great guitar. What "fallen" said about balancing, comfort and ergonomics is absolutely right. It balances perfectly when you wear it with the strap. When sitting down I slightly prefer my Tele.
The stock humbuckers (I'm talking about the first generation, BEFORE they changed to the active circuit) sound very nice, a bit dark but not muddy. Very cool, "smokey" tone. Lots of overtones and character. I've played this guitar next to a very nice (and expensive!) LP a student of mine owns. They both sounded equally nice but I prefer the ergonomics of the PRS. I need to have that volume knob within close proximity for volume swells and other tricks. I also compared it to two Les Pauls Studio two friens of mine own and quite frankly, there was no comparison. The McCarty was on another level. I also A/B'd with a PRS Custom and I preferred the sound of the McCarty. (So did everybody else in that shop!)
It has a smooth attack when you hit the strings (which might explain why people like Santana dig it so much)
You can split the coils and get tele/strat-ish tones. Purists would argue that it doesn't sound the same. I have two comments on this:
a) The tones are definitely more than just usable. Especially if you wanna carry only one guitar to a gig and have some single coil tones together with your main humbucker tone. Sure it makes no sense to use a humbucker in split mode to get single coil sounds for an entire gig but if your main tone is that of a humbucker and you wanna add some single coil colours at certain places, it works well.

b) I hate purists of any sort....since when the electric guitar became a purists' item?
-"A tele without the 'ashtray' bridge and brass saddles is not a real tele!!!..."
-F U Dinosaur!

...OK, sorry, I digress....Back to the McCarty....
To sum it up, I think it's a great guitar. It can do from Jazz to Hard Rock and anything in between. Santana's tone and music is not something I was ever interested in so I can't offer any insight on how he achieves it. From all I know, his guitar is a signature model so I guess it has its own different specs than all other PRS guitars. I'm sure that his amps, his technique, his sound engineer, etc, make up for a big part of it though.

I have switched to a Tele as my main guitar for the last two years because I found a Tele I really liked and it was a time when I was growing a bit tired of the humbucker sound and thought I wanted a thinner and brighter tone.
I kept the PRS up until now though and still played it from times to times. This says a lot because I'm not a collector, I like to play my guitars. Whenever I move from one main guitar to another that first guitar has to go. I'm trying to keep it on the level of owning two guitars at the time. I'm up to four right now. So, I think I will finally sell my McCarty soon but it took more than two years for me to make the decision.

I hope I helped a bit.

Baltar

I'll probably buy one and start listening to Dream Theater and Opeth later.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

I,Galactus

No, thanks.

Quote from: Baltar on August 01, 2012, 09:49:39 AM
I'll probably buy one and start listening to Dream Theater and Opeth later.

Umm, DT dude bro is all aboot the Ernie Ballz...

/serenaded by the soundz of windblown hair, sweep picking, and HGH
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Discö Rice

Gah! The sound of soft turds personified, coupled with a look that only someone who likes the sound of a PRS could enjoy.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

RacerX

Nah, MusicMan is good shit. Their products were better before Ernie Ball acquired them, but they still build solid instruments. Gotta admit I like their basses better than their guitars, but still...
Livin' The Life.

Discö Rice

Quote from: RacerX on August 01, 2012, 01:53:37 PM
Nah, MusicMan is good shit. Their products were better before Ernie Ball acquired them, but they still build solid instruments. Gotta admit I like their basses better than their guitars, but still...
Sorry, should've clarified. That was pure PRS hate. I have no beef with Musicman. (Their guitars are ugly, but I do like their basses)

jibberish

thx guys, keep the input coming.

and i ESPECIALLy want to thank disco AGAIN for his positive and constructive input IN THE JAM ROOM.

but since you have used a PRS for a while, i have to consider that lame spewage a valid opinion.

harm.on.x

Quote from: jibberish on August 01, 2012, 02:41:14 PM
...and i ESPECIALLy want to thank disco AGAIN for his positive and constructive input IN THE JAM ROOM...

Ha ha ha ha! Well said my friend! Well said...

Discö Rice

Consider it a punch in the dick for all I care.

But if a more concise, spiritless explanation of my dislike for PRS guitars is required, I'll oblige. The tone of a PRS guitar is smoothed out to the point of sounding like a sine wave generator. It has no character, to the point that the absence of character is the defining characteristic. It's easy to spot one on a recording because of it. The finishes on the guitars are designed to make them look like the expensive decorative pieces they're clearly designed to be. Sound and look like a douche in one fell swoop! To sum up, PRS guitars are everything I despise in a musical instrument with no qualities I find redeeming.

Worthless Willie

So, it's not okay to just go ahead and say you hate something?
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Discö Rice

I'm thinking I didn't use enough caps.

I,Galactus

If people are going to get all uppity, I suppose I'll qualify my previous jpeggery.  

I have indeed utilized a PRS SE guitar, the Santana model to be specific.  For a $500 guitar, it was serviceable but not great.  The fit and finish were ok, a little fret buzz but that was more of a negligence issue on the part of its owner.

My main problem with PRS is that incredibly huge "heel from hell" I slapped a photo of up there.  Maybe it does wonders for toanz (I dunno much about the fine arts of luthiery) but ye gods is it uncomfortable as fuck to play.

Couple that with the fact that I saw on just the other day in a Guitar Center ad for upwards of $4k, and you've got a big fat "no care ever."
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

I,Galactus

FWIW YMMV LOLPINIONS HTH PLZKTHXBYE

bass sic

My old guitarist played one almost exclusively. He had plenty of gibsons, epiiphones and even yamahas, but always played the PRS. I thought it sounded pretty damn good.

clockwork green

Their single cuts look pretty good to me. If I won a free guitar from Guitar Center I'd pick that over a '59 Les Paul RI that probably still needs a fret dressing and a nut job but if I was spending that kind of money I'd look elsewhere and I have and I did. The McCarty's do sound quite good as well and have some nice sounding PAF style pickups but I just hate the look of their double cuts (though the Santana is better looking). Their jazz boxes are a bid awkward looking but I've never played one. I've never noticed their neck joint to feel awkward but I've never had to live with one...a best I spend 5% of my time up there so neck joins are rarely an issue for me.

Maybe Santana should have stuck with with P90's and Gibson's because his appearance at Woodstock was better than anything any forum member here has ever done or ever will do.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

The Shocker

harm.on.x

Quote from: I,Galactus on August 01, 2012, 03:35:07 PM
My main problem with PRS is that incredibly huge "heel from hell" I slapped a photo of up there.  Maybe it does wonders for toanz (I dunno much about the fine arts of luthiery) but ye gods is it uncomfortable as fuck to play.

Couple that with the fact that I saw on just the other day in a Guitar Center ad for upwards of $4k, and you've got a big fat "no care ever."
This is a good point you made there about the heel. For a guitar that tries to pass as a well thought out design, that heel is a bit over the top. In all fairness I don't think it feels much worse than a Fender one but still....it could have been much better. Whether it serves some tonal purpose or not I have no idea. Supposedly it helps with sustain but who knows...it might all be BS.

As far as the price...3 and 4k is way too much for any electric guitar in my book. I make my living by playing and writing music and I have no need for flashy guitars or rigs. And I always buy second hand gear.
It also happens that I get to do studio work so I quite often come across gear that has been sitting in some studio, not getting much use and people would be happy to get rid of it for little money. I got my PRS second hand at a very good price. It served its purpose, earned every penny I spent on it and some more and I'll make a bit of profit when I sell it. It had lots of marks, buckle rush etc when I got it and it has even more now. It sounded pretty good doing its job and that's all.
It's a guitar. A good one. In the right hands it can do miracles, like everything else.
In the wrong hands it's gonna sound like shit, like everything else.
Would I change some things on it if I were the designer/luthier? Yes I would.
Would I spend 3k for one? Of course not.
Do they sound like a "douche in one fell swoop" like Disco said? Not to me, but maybe he has more discerning ears than I do.

Cursed71

Maybe Santana should have stuck with with P90's and Gibson's because his appearance at Woodstock was better than anything any forum member here has ever done or ever will do.
[/quote]
And he was piquing on mescaline.  Apparently the neck of that sg was a snake in his hands.

NoSleepTilSleep

Quote from: Cursed71 on August 01, 2012, 09:03:24 PM

And he was piquing on mescaline.  Apparently the neck of that sg was a snake in his hands.

You do realize Mike from YOB used to be a member here right (and the dudes from Buzz'oven I think)?....Once one decides upon a duet with Matchbox-20, that likely wanted to make a few members of this board want to purposefully perforate their eardrums... well that takes a whole lot of black magic women to forget.

Anyway, PRS... Sure an objectively great instrument (if a little lifeless). But it's the baggage that comes with owning one, like disco said, they're for dudes who wanna prop it between their walnut burled interior Bentley and George Nakashima table while puffing a Cohiba and sipping Lagavulin. It's cool its not a status thing to you, but for most it is, and its rubs people the wrong way... PRS is always gonna be a contentious issue.

Anyway with all this Santana talk, how hasn't anyone mentioned the best possible alternative.... Yamaha SG2000?  

clockwork green

YOB is the only one even vaguely close but the historical scale of Woodstock gives Santana the edge.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Jake

I have never had the impulse to buy one (maybe except for the Mira, which is a way dressed-down, vintage-inspired model), but IMO it'd be inaccurate to say they're not good guitars. Cosmetically, they're too fancy pants, flamey, graceful birds in flight, shiny, etc, etc. for me. I prefer a more blue collar rock and roll instrument.

However, although I've never owned one myself, a longtime friend and roommate of mine bought one in 1993 with his high school graduation money. This was well before they had been co-opted by bland rockers and blues lawyers. My friend was always a Strat guy but wanted the sonic density of a Les Paul. This is exactly what a PRS is.

I played his guitar around the house for years. It was an exceptionally crafted instrument. It being an early 90s model, I believe that is the supposed heyday of the PRS. I would describe the tone as anything BUT lifeless. Very articulate with a broad array of sounds, thanks to its coil splitting features. In fact, when I bought my 1974 Les Paul, someone had installed PRS HFS pickups - those pickups are so badass, they'll punch you in the dick and poop on your mom.
poop.

NoSleepTilSleep

Quote from: Jake on August 01, 2012, 10:34:00 PM
I have never had the impulse to buy one (maybe except for the Mira, which is a way dressed-down, vintage-inspired model), but IMO it'd be inaccurate to say they're not good guitars. Cosmetically, they're too fancy pants, flamey, graceful birds in flight, shiny, etc, etc. for me. I prefer a more blue collar rock and roll instrument.

However, although I've never owned one myself, a longtime friend and roommate of mine bought one in 1993 with his high school graduation money. This was well before they had been co-opted by bland rockers and blues lawyers. My friend was always a Strat guy but wanted the sonic density of a Les Paul. This is exactly what a PRS is.

I played his guitar around the house for years. It was an exceptionally crafted instrument. It being an early 90s model, I believe that is the supposed heyday of the PRS. I would describe the tone as anything BUT lifeless. Very articulate with a broad array of sounds, thanks to its coil splitting features. In fact, when I bought my 1974 Les Paul, someone had installed PRS HFS pickups - those pickups are so badass, they'll punch you in the dick and poop on your mom.

Word. Objectively great instruments, and I can think of a few guys that play them that don't make me want to burn things (Mike from ISIS, and.....?), but yeah the co-opting not only by blues-lawyers but by mid-late 90's nu-metal (someone better be with me on this, PRS + Triple Rec was probably one of the worst things to happen...ever), is something that'll always leave a bad taste, for me anyway. But if you dig 'em, play it and fuck what we say. 

And clockwork.... I'm giving the edge to YOB for playing a 16 minute encore of 'Ball of Molten Lead' to 15 people in a 100 degree club on a Thursday. Plus I'm not giving baby-boomers the Santana-sifaction (yeah...went there).