Simple question... good or not so good

Started by +--Stonah--+, February 27, 2012, 09:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

+--Stonah--+

Ok guys... i've got a sunn beta lead head and i got my hands on a shitty 16 ohm 412 cab (400 watts).
Is it ok if i run my beta lead that is ofcourse 4 ohms mono with this cab that is 16 ohms mono.
Just for the record, tried it and sounds fantastic.
I know that it is ok to run a head on 8 ohms for example but 16?
Will i burn something?  :-\
...One Riff To Rule Them All...

Mr. Foxen

SS head should be happy with higher impedance cabs. Valve amps not so much.

dunwichamps

Quote from: +--Stonah--+ on February 27, 2012, 09:45:31 AM
Ok guys... i've got a sunn beta lead head and i got my hands on a shitty 16 ohm 412 cab (400 watts).
Is it ok if i run my beta lead that is ofcourse 4 ohms mono with this cab that is 16 ohms mono.
Just for the record, tried it and sounds fantastic.
I know that it is ok to run a head on 8 ohms for example but 16?
Will i burn something?  :-\

rewire the cab to 4 ohms if u want to, best option

This is a SS head so im not entirely sure if a mismatch is bad

+--Stonah--+

Thanks for your quick responses guys.
Think that i'll run it like it is at the moment but definitely will be searching along the way for a dude that can do the rewiring.

Cheers!

dunwichamps

Quote from: +--Stonah--+ on February 27, 2012, 10:07:23 AM
Think that i'll run it like it is at the moment but definitely will be searching along the way for a dude that can do the rewiring.

Cheers!

for reference you would wire all speakers in parallel to get 4 ohms. If you adventurous it can be made switchable.

+--Stonah--+

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 27, 2012, 10:22:27 AM
Quote from: +--Stonah--+ on February 27, 2012, 10:07:23 AM

Cheers!

for reference you would wire all speakers in parallel to get 4 ohms. If you adventurous it can be made switchable.

Oh yeah, if i can make it switchable that really would be something...Have to find someone to do that though!

Discö Rice

Seems like wiring them in parallel would be a pretty easy mod.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Baltar

I've got a lot of 4x12 wiring diagrams if anyone needs more.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

have to make sure cab has 4 16 ohm speakers to do that. its possible that they are all 4 ohm speakers in series to get 16. If so then 4 ohms can be made using series/parallel combinations.

VOLVO)))

With SS amps, you can't go lower than the minimum impedance. So, 4 ohms min = don't play at two. 4/8/16, all good, you're losing wattage with a mismatch like that, but volume loss is negligible.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

+--Stonah--+

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 27, 2012, 03:04:09 PM
With SS amps, you can't go lower than the minimum impedance. So, 4 ohms min = don't play at two. 4/8/16, all good, you're losing wattage with a mismatch like that, but volume loss is negligible.

Yeah i get that but to be honest i really haven't noticed any volume loss but then again it's not that i'm cranking it up to 10 so... so far so good  ;)