Main Menu

More craigslist wtf!

Started by Hemisaurus, January 13, 2012, 08:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

For maximum rocking of course.

poop.

Chovie D

I guess if you couldnt really play a violin you might desire to have one with frets, but you'd lose the ability to glissando which to me is one of the signature qualities of the violin. >:( It would be like a guitar with unbendable strings.

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on November 14, 2012, 05:37:04 PM
I guess if you couldnt really play a violin you might desire to have one with frets, but you'd lose the ability to glissando which to me is one of the signature qualities of the violin. >:( It would be like a guitar with unbendable strings.

Actually, I went to the manufacturer's website, which claims...

"While a fretted violin may seem unusual, the system developed by Wood Violins is unique in several aspects. The frets are flatter under the higher strings, allowing slides, vibrato and expressiveness similar to a fretless instrument.

One advantage of a fretted Viper is how quickly it makes multi-note chords easier to produce. If you've ever spent hours working to get perfect intonation on some arpeggios or multi-note chords you will appreciate the benefits of frets (easy quadruple stops, anyone?). Unlike a guitar, the finger is actually placed on top of the fret rather than in between frets, which gives you the familiar feel of the distance from the nut, but also allowing you a tiny bit of leeway with the accuracy of your finger placement, improving speed and intonation.

We recommend frets or fretless based on your playing style, and frequently the familiar feel of the fretless fingerboard under your string can be desirable. Contact us for advice on choosing frets or fretless."

http://www.davidsonviolins.com/viper_electric_violin.htm

Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

"While a fretted violin may seem unusual, the system developed by Wood Violins is unique in several aspects. The frets are flatter under the higher strings, allowing slides, vibrato and expressiveness similar to a fretless instrument."

The skeptic in me says...close but no cigar. If youve ever played a fingered fretless string instrument you can easily imagine what even thin frets would do to gliss and microtones, not to mention "feel".

who knows tho, I'm not a violinist (not since I was a wee lad at least)

chorThe chords thing is ins=teresting..I guess they are suggestion plucked chords? I dont see how to bow a chord acrooss three strings that are at different heights or on an arc like a violins are.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: RacerX on November 14, 2012, 05:41:16 PM
If you've ever spent hours working to get perfect intonation on some arpeggios or multi-note chords you will appreciate the benefits of frets (easy quadruple stops, anyone?).

This should say 'If you can't be fucked to spend hours...'

You can play chords as an arpeggio. Those multi note chords, as opposed to the chords that are one note.

mutantcolors

"chords that are one note"

Sounds like a lot of these doom bands going today.

Danny G

Recently there was a rash of ads on the Austin music forums about hired gun musicians. Sad but amusing, but still sad.

Definitely some jackasses here that like to muck up the boards with bs

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RacerX

hehehe...

"Kick the Coyote's ASS...

...and burn the cactus down with your very own Esteban guitar! This fine instrument is made of hand-selected tonewood and features six steel strings, and exclusive tuners made of genuine plastic.

The senoritas won't be able to resist you when they see you playing this sleek ebony chick-magnet. You've seen the commercials on TV, and we all know that if it's on TV, it has to be good. Now's your chance to own the real thing. Why settle for cheap imitators like Martin, Gibson and Taylor when you can own the REAL Esteban Guitar at a steal of a price? The price is so low that you can buy several and start your own ESTEBAND!

People love Esteban and his music because it has the power to CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Just read what this fan had to say:

"I was all messed up on drugs. But since I discovered Esteban, now I'm all messed up on him." - Jeff Von Schtooker, Morningwood, PA.

You can see this is a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Act now! Only $300!"

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/3443475967.html

Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

Quote from: RacerX on November 29, 2012, 02:22:57 PM

"I was all messed up on drugs. But since I discovered Esteban, now I'm all messed up on him."

That's a Cheech & Chong joke... "I used to be all messed up on drugs, until I found The Lord. Now I'm all messed up on The Lord"

The ads that get me the most:

"My list of influences is the Beatles, Bob Marley, Guns & Roses, Bjork, and Metallica" (bands that have no connection)

"Must be willing to go all the way!/do whatever it takes!" type delusions of fame.

Parris Mayhew from the Cro Mags has a Drummer Wanted ad on local Craigslist (if that's really him):

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/muc/3433953999.html
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

Okay, I just dropped a hint to the wife about this crazy stringed instrument on the local cl:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/3461579446.html

That's wooden attachment is not a "music holder"; it the arm holding the metal tone bar that works the single string zither on the top.

The bottom section is kinda like a non-auto-autoharp.

Iwannitiwannitiwannitiwannit!!
Livin' The Life.

The Bandit

That is pretty cool looking.

Lumpy

I bet you could make a hellacious racket with that thing.

Metal and Beer

Here's a pretty good "what the fuck??"

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/3461889247.html
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jake

Sheesh. That's about as terrible a fake as I've seen. Fuck that asshole for trying to pass it off as the real McCoy. I hope he gets caught.
poop.

bitter

Caught by Glen Beck for the full shame effect.

"Listen, you! I think I have a real gibson at my house*, and I think that you selling fakes is wrong."

* Queues tears for maximum emotional effect.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Metal and Beer

Yeah, so utterly fake. When I first saw the pics I fell out a-laughin'. The seller is actually a pawn shop in Batesville*, AR. I briefly thought they got burned too, but axing 1000 bucks indicates to me they know it's a fucking fugazi..

* a.k.a. NormanBatesville
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

jibberish

I think we could get Batesville radio station once in a while at ole miss. on my pioneer super tuner lol. car stereo was seriously behind the curve for a while there, but it did catch up. trying to think of the bigger AK station we got quite well.   oh yeah Jonesboro came in strong, that's it...

mutantcolors

I gotta ask what y'all see wrong, other than the obviously misshapen body...not that you need to see much more than that hahahaha.

Jake

The body is the wrong shape.
The headstock is the wrong shape.
The logo on the headstock is wrong.
There are slots in the studs for adjusting the bridge height (only thumb wheel adjustments on a Gibson).
The fretboard is not ebony, but rosewood. All Customs will have ebony for the vintage he claims.
The headstock split diamond inlay is undersized.
The trustrod cover is wrong.
The case is wrong.

Ad that's just from his pics. I guarantee you it's a mess in the cavities too. And I'm sure the binding not only does not cover the fret nubs along the neck, but is way too thick around the headstock.
poop.

mutantcolors

I guess there's the LOL moment when you realize it's not an archtop either. Plus I don't think silverburst shows the grain like that.

Baltar

Fender supper reverb Amplifier 100w All tube Guitar Amp - $1000

4/ 10 Original Fender Speaker.
On wheels.
switch pedal
Speaker cover.
Made in USA in 80 s all tube amp back fece

Used 9/10 conditon for $1000. New goes for $1400-1500

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/yrk/msg/3492815990.html

I love Supper Reverbs w/ back feces!  But only 4 out of 10 speakers. Hmmm.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Glitchyghost

Not CL, but I thought this was worth sharing.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blues-Mojo-Hand-For-Acoustic-Guitar-Cigar-Box-Muddy-Waters-Lightnin-Hopkins-/200867684656?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ec4a5a130

One Mojo Hand for acoustic guitar, consecrated with High John the Conqueror oil.

Contains a tropical herb considered to be the testicle of the Devil (Elegua).

Gives a sweet blues tone, makes old strings sound new and creates natural overdrones and distortion.

Just drop the mojo into the sound hole and let fall to the bottom. Try it with and without the Mojo to hear the difference. This Mojo will not work inside solid body electric guitars or acoustics with magnetic pickups.

To attract money wrap 2 dollars around it (preferably a two dollar bill from a leap year with a mercury dime from a leap year) and carry it in your pocket.

To releive joint pain before playing hold it in the hand snugly for 60 seconds before playing.

To attract women carry it in your left front pocket.

If the Mojo stops working inside the guitar take it out and tap it a few times on a table so that it rattles again.

I am not responsible for any misfortune that may befall you, by tampering with the device or improper use. If you are unhappy with the item, send it back and I will return half your money. as it has no resale value used i must destroy it by fire.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

mutantcolors

JFC.

Tell me you paid him $220, as the nice guy move.

Lumpy

Who in their right mind would buy a beat up old guitar with a broken string, amirite?? ???

They usually give you all the strings if they aren't trying to cheat you!!!!