New to electronics, looking for resources on amplification

Started by aowron, November 21, 2011, 12:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aowron

I'm new to electronics (well, I studied it back in school, though slept through the lessons...) and due to a recent interest in MOSFET/JFET/CMOS preamps, I am currently looking for resources on amplification, though I really don't know where to start. What I'm basically interested in is the theory behind amplification, though I guess studying some "general" electronics literature would be useful.

Mr. Foxen

Probably best to start with basic electronics stuff, especially with AC. All the stuff taught to me at school about circuits in practice was DC, but everything that I want to do runs off AC (with DC in addition). There are massive books on electronics, but I found that a good way to learn amps specifically was going through one and identifying stuff, reading about what that thing did, and moving to the next thing. Might not work so easily on PCB SS amps. Gather broken amps and fix them, will improve you soldering if nothing else.

Chovie D

the literature will be somewhat different for tube amps vs solid state.

all the old guys used to tell me to get the rca handbook to get  basic idea of how tubes worked and thier function in amplifiers.
alot of the older amp guys are radio guys. I gfot it and it was far too technical for me, but if your looking for ground up understanding and have the tolerence for dry scientific literature you migh give it a try, beleive you can download for free online?

There are a slew of book and alot of disagreement about their value.
i never found one i could recommend, tho i own several of em.
heres some books, maybe someone can give you thier opinion of these?
http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech13.html

i own the Dan Torres book and its not bad, not great. in own Fender ams th first 50 years and remember it being pretty good but not overy amp techy. Fender @ 60, the soul of tone, not on that list is a GREAT book on amplifiers, but doesnt have alot fo technical stuff.

There was a recent book by the guy who makes groove tubes, but it reads like a 200 page add for groove tubes to me, i didnt buy it.
good luck, have fun

aowron

Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably start out with pedals (low voltage) stuff to avoid electrocuting myself, thus, I will start out with solid state stuff. Also, got electrocuted when I was 6, which makes me a bit wary with the high voltage stuff. Anyone gotten rid of this? If so, how?

I work in IT, which means that I read some really dry, boring manuals on various topics, so I might be able to digest boring scientific literature.

Chovie D

pedal building is compeletly different thing altogether..i dont know what to recommend for that but someone here will.
Theres a couple builders here.

actually one book I can really recommned to everyone here is Analogmans book on vintage effects.
fascinating and fun read with nice color plate pictures. thumbs way up.
He doesnt get into the tech of it so much but gives a great history and overview and there are interviews with famous pedal builders.

Mr. Foxen

Get yourself an RCD (residual current device) for safety, and two cheap multimeters. At some point poking about in amps set to some sensitive setting trying to find a small DC leak through a cap or something, you'll accidentally touch the high voltage rail and kill your meter, so a cheap one so it won't matter, and a second one so you can carry on working.

rayinreverse

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on November 21, 2011, 07:44:31 PM
Get yourself an RCD (residual current device) for safety, and two cheap multimeters. At some point poking about in amps set to some sensitive setting trying to find a small DC leak through a cap or something, you'll accidentally touch the high voltage rail and kill your meter, so a cheap one so it won't matter, and a second one so you can carry on working.

Buy a good meter and this won't happen. My fluke is auto ranging up to 1000vdc.

Ayek

Quote from: aowron on November 21, 2011, 05:38:39 PM
Also, got electrocuted when I was 6, which makes me a bit wary with the high voltage stuff. Anyone gotten rid of this? If so, how?

You should always be wary when dealing with mains voltage or higher, complacency is a killer. Every time I've electrocuted myself, I'd like to think I learned what not to do next time.