Gotta a question for the jam roomers? (Amp related)

Started by core9, December 30, 2010, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

core9

Bought a new Matamp GT120 recently.  Excellent amp, but in terms of volume it is destroying my Matamp Green Legend.
So I decided I will take 2 tubes out and run it like that.  Problem is that I am running it into 2 8 ohm cabs. 
Right now I run the 2 cabs with the 4 ohm output.
But when pulling out the two tubes the amp would want to "see" 2 ohms...correct??  Don't have 2 ohms as an option on the amp. 

Any input, advice would be most welcome.

black_out

Couldn't you just swap the v1 preamp tube out for a 5751? That should give you the drop in volume you're looking for without having to worry about all the other bullshit. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but when I was looking into pulling two power tubes, I walked way with the impression that it wasn't good for most amps to be playing them like that all the time.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

NoSleepTilSleep

Amps react differently when you pull two Power Tubes, depending on the circuit. Never owned a Matamp so I won't comment on the effect it may have on your transformers.

As per the ohm question, it's been my understanding, and I've done this many times, that so long as your cab's ohm output is higher (in number) by one step you'll be alright. For example I had a Bandmaster head which only had a 4ohm out, I ran that into an 8ohm cab no problem. Same with my Traynor Bassmaster, 8ohm only but I ran it into a 16ohm cab (again no problem). Now both those examples had very robust transformers which can handle such a mismatch (I would never attempt a mismatch with say a Marshall JMP era amp because of the tolerances).

core9

Appreciate the replies....does anyone else want to weigh in?

Danny G

I know that when you pull 2 power tubes it affects the ohms that the amp runs at, but I couldn't tell you if it make a 4 ohm amp run at 8 ohms or vice versa.

I second experimenting with lower output preamp tubes. In my JCM800 I found that using a 12at7 for v3 brought the overall volume down a bit so I could run it loud and clean w/o blowing anyone's head off. Not a huge volume drop but def noticeable. Turns out that's an old Marshall tech trick, so there ya go. Not sure if a Matamp would respond the same.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com