How do you approach learning other's material?

Started by Ranbat, December 21, 2010, 10:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

Do you try and learn it note for note? Or just get the basic song down and make it own? I'm learning Setzer's version of Sleepwalk and playing it his way feels kind of forced to me. I have a slightly different feel for it, even though I'm playing all the same notes. I accent things differently and hold some notes longer that he cuts short while cutting some shorter he holds longer. What's your take when learning others material?
Meh :/

black_out

Quote from: Ranbat on December 21, 2010, 10:31:19 PM
Do you try and learn it note for note? Or just get the basic song down and make it own? I'm learning Setzer's version of Sleepwalk and playing it his way feels kind of forced to me. I have a slightly different feel for it, even though I'm playing all the same notes. I accent things differently and hold some notes longer that he cuts short while cutting some shorter he holds longer. What's your take when learning others material?

Make it your own. I think it's boring when people play other people's songs note for note.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

bass sic

I used to learn stuff note for note, thinking it was a sign of my great talent. Now that I really dont give a shit about having talent and just want to play, if I have to learn someone else's shit I just do it my way. Keeping the important parts intact. Also not saying note for note copying has anything to do with talent.
Btw, you said you were learning some Setzer shit? Like Brian Setzer?

Ranbat

Quote from: bass sic on December 22, 2010, 12:12:34 AM
Btw, you said you were learning some Setzer shit? Like Brian Setzer?

Yeah, Brian Setzer. I like his solo stuff, although it can be hit and miss. He does something of a jazzier version of Santo and Johnny's Sleepwalk with the BSO. I've also seen a vid of him doing it solo and he plays it a little differently than he does with the BSO. So, I'm just trying to learn some version of it without straying too far from his vision. Just wondered how others approached stuff like that.

VOLVO)))

I usually play it how I feel it. Note for note is kinda meh, in my opinion.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

giantchris

Quote from: black_out on December 21, 2010, 11:04:45 PM

Make it your own. I think it's boring when people play other people's songs note for note.
^^^^ This

Personally I am lazy and got guitar pro but I mostly use it to look at songs I like and see how the different instruments interact.  I essentially use it to see what kind of harmonies and chord progressions are being used in different song's I like.  Its almost like I use it to analyze the scores.  I don't really care about other people's music enough to learn it.

Ranbat

Quote from: giantchris on December 22, 2010, 01:32:15 AM

^^^^ This

Personally I am lazy and got guitar pro but I mostly use it to look at songs I like and see how the different instruments interact.  I essentially use it to see what kind of harmonies and chord progressions are being used in different song's I like.  Its almost like I use it to analyze the scores.  I don't really care about other people's music enough to learn it.

I had that attitude for a long time about learning other people's songs. I kinda discovered though that it can be pretty beneficial to your playing. While analyzing peoples stuff is of great benefit too, putting it on the fretboard gives you a whole different perspective.

eyeprod

I learn it as close as I can to the original. Then I add my own touches. If it's way too hard for me to learn, I don't bother, but to me it's important to get close to the original. Too far off base is sloppy in my opinion.
CV - Slender Fungus

Discö Rice

If you're replacing another musician, I believe you should play any songs that existed before you arrived the way they were played before, note for note, unless specifically asked to to otherwise. I used to be in a band that had an amazing bass player who was in my opinion irreplaceable, because as a trio, we'd built for ourselves a rather unique style and sound. When she left the band, we had a number of bass players, none of whom could hang with the material she'd written. One guy had the chops, but insisted on a bass tone that was quite honestly horrible, and he kept changing her parts.

Our guitarist had a very noisy, screechy and messy sound, which worked with our original bass player's solid, fat sound, but not with the new guy's thin, trebley sound. When we suggested adding my 18 inch sub to his rig he flatly refused, he wouldn't even touch his EQ no matter how nicely we asked, or later, how harshly we demanded he fix his god-awful tone. Needless to say, we stuck to our guns and he ended up quitting.

I couldn't imagine why anyone would join an established band if they didn't like the band's sound or the parts they were supposed to play. I still can't.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

giantchris

Quote from: Ranbat on December 22, 2010, 08:27:13 AM
Quote from: giantchris on December 22, 2010, 01:32:15 AM

^^^^ This

I had that attitude for a long time about learning other people's songs. I kinda discovered though that it can be pretty beneficial to your playing. While analyzing peoples stuff is of great benefit too, putting it on the fretboard gives you a whole different perspective.
I know thats true but honestly I have a lot of trouble learning more then a riff here and there just get bored really quickly.  To be honest I haven't really tried that on guitar but to give you an example I am primarily a bass player and the other day I decided to try to learn a Mastodon song (picked Crack the Skye) and I literally had so little trouble learning the parts I could play along to the song within like 15 minutes no problems.  It wasn't perfect but it wasn't even remotely difficult.  But yeah I know that it helps a ton in learning how to play.

EddieMullet

For me it depends on why you are learning the material.

1. If it is for a paid gig in an at least semi pro cover band, you gotta really try hard to play it like the  recording. In that situation you have to swallow the fact that you are part of a human jukebox, and no one is there to see you, they just want to get drunk try to get laid and hear the songs exactly as they hear them on the radio.  You could be easily replaced by a DJ or even worse Karaoke.

2. If its just a tune you dig a lot and want to jam on do whatever feels best. Or if you are a band that does mostly original material and the people are actually there to see your band you should put your own stamp on it.

3. The replacing someone part is the hardest, if they gig on a regular basis and have a CD or two recorded then I'd probably stick close to the recordings, but put your own style into any new material.

If its band that barely plays out, has no recordings and so forth then I'd do what feels best.

4. If it's just you and several friends hanging out in the garage, getting wasted and jamming just try to at least play in tune and in time the best you can.  In this situation no one should give a shit about anything but having a good time, making sure the booze and other substances don't run out and that someone remembers to call for a pizza after making sure everybody there has enough money to pay for it.

Ranbat

Quote from: EddieMullet on December 24, 2010, 12:39:07 AM

4. If it's just you and several friends hanging out in the garage, getting wasted and jamming just try to at least play in tune and in time the best you can.  In this situation no one should give a shit about anything but having a good time, making sure the booze and other substances don't run out and that someone remembers to call for a pizza after making sure everybody there has enough money to pay for it.

Some of the best advice I've seen in the Jam Room  8)

chlorpromazine

I try to learn it note for note at first, especially if it is a song that I like. Maybe it is a sentimental thing to honor the original player, plus I usually don't forget songs that I've worked on like that. It also gives me the option of playing "as written" or stretching out a bit depending on the situation.