hagstrom swede vintage not reissue ?'s

Started by ROWDYBEER, December 20, 2010, 06:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROWDYBEER

How good are they? There is a very early 70's (1969) for sale $850. Im torn. Fuck I should just wait for another yamaha sg2000 or maybe a 3000.

VOLVO)))

Hags are nice instruments, man... if you can talk him down to 700, I'd take it... I want one of those weird Guild SG wannabes...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

I was just thinking about those Guild SG guitars the other day. I think I'd rather commit to one of those versus a Gibby. Maybe Santa will bring me one if I blow him.
poop.

VOLVO)))

They are serious instruments. I'm pretty sure Lordfinesse has one. I think the back up guitar player for US Christmas plays one, too. I had my hands on one a few days ago, and it won't leave my mind.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

lordfinesse

I do indeed have one. It's a 1970, all original, and is my main guitar. These things are undervalued imho. Let's see if my copy will work:

(edited for trying to get the damned pic to work)

Billy Squier 24/7

VOLVO)))

Ears and eyes open for anyone that digs Husky's tone... Fuckin' beautiful guitar.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Guild Threadjack Questions:

1.) What are those Guild models called?
2.) Are there any quirky years to avoid?
3.) What's an average price?
4.) What are the necks like?
5.) Can I have yours?
poop.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

giantchris

Those Guild SGs are damned nice I coulda traded for one a couple years ago but got too good of a deal on my current bass.

lordfinesse

Thanks for the kind words SunnO))). I'll try to answer the Guild questions as best as I can, but I'm by no means an expert. If you're seriously looking though, there are some Guild experts at a shop in Tennessee that can probably answer any questions you have. I believe they're actually called "the Guild Guys". Anyway...

1) The SG shaped guitars are S-100 (like mine), S-90 (basically the same but no block inlay and only 1 vol and tone control), and S-50 (with only one humbucker.) There may be other differences, but that's all I know about. I think they were made from '70 to '77 or something like that. Reissued in the 90's for a few years. Pissy has an S-50, and it plays great too, but definitely a different sound. More "woody" I'd say.
2) Not that I know of.
3) I think original S100's sell for around $800 - $1500, depending on age, condition, Craigslist vs ebay vs inflated guitar show prices. Reissues are only slightly cheaper. Better to spend a little more and get the original IMHO.
4) Medium sized neck on mine, glossy painted finish. Not really a "fast" neck, I would guess getting this guitar actually slowed down my playing some. Sweaty hands tend to drag when sliding up/down a glossy neck (mine do at least), vs a smooth oiled Washburn or Ibanez neck. But I've gotten used to it. And now I play blues..
5) Sorry, I plan for my kids to fight over it when I'm dead. 

Billy Squier 24/7

ROWDYBEER

I think I'm going to get an agile for now until I can sell my 76 sg (Gibson) and get another yamaha sg2000. My other guitar player has an al2000 as a backup and it is pretty cool. Although his lp smokes it in every way but what do you expect $200 agile $3000 LP.

giantchris

Didn't they make a Guild SG style bass too?  I recall playing one in a shop once but cannot remember.