New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Hey there thats pretty nice. I've got Washburn Nuno something or another. I need to swap the pickup out to something a little nastier.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

pretty axe, looks slick. bit by the dots? those are cool.

Pissy

Yeah, the dots, they did that back then.  When I was a teenager around 1991-2 taking lessons at Sunset Music in Rocky Mount NC, they were a Washburn dealer.  I'm a little nostalgic for them now, I guess.  Around 1996 we had moved to Charlotte, living in an apartment with Lordfinnese and our 4 Washburn guitars were stolen out of my truck the night before we went to Raleigh for a show.   2 basses and 2 guitars. Mine were the basses.  We didn't know they were gone until we got to the venue, three hours away.  We turned around and went home.  

We were each covered under our parents homeowners insurance at the time, and after pro-rating I got about $400 and bought a Sound Gear fretless.  Lordfinnese got another Washburn kinda like the one I picked up here today, but a more basic trem.  My bass was stolen again out of our rehearsal space not long after, Lord still has that Washburn and he plays it in his Pink Floyd tribute band.   I moved to a Music Man Stingray I bought from Jon Vesano who would later be the bass/vocalist in the death metal juggernaut Nile.  I gave him $500 for it, but he only asked for $400.  Another $100 as a rental because I used it for 2 months before I paid him for it.  I can't imagine why he trusted me with it.  He's a good guy. 

So anyway, a little nostalgic for Washburns.  I don't think many people find much value in them overall. 
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

i think its a pretty sick guitar. great score.

Muffin Man

Pissy, I enjoyed the story and backround on the Washburn.

I had a Nashville tuned acoustic, it was an Washburn offering for a few years, purpose built for the setup/tension. I liked it alot but decided to sell it, so up to cragslist. Next thing I know, one of my old, and much appreciated, part time fill in drummers responded to the ad, via totally incognito emails (craigslist relay). So, that afternoon. he trollips over and buys it. It was great! because it was kinda exactly what he was looking for. Rare-ish guitar too and it went the right place. He was starting a tour soon after, and it slotted right into his repertoire - and old rocker gone country. Okee-doekee

oh, yeah! Jennifer Batten and Washburn. I had my eye on a Nuno for the longest time, with the reverse headstock. I;m not at that level of playing though so, eye candy.

Pissy

It arrived!

Plays great, sounds great, stays in tune.  It's a perfect example of a 90's shredder, not an example of a perfect 90's shredder, if you know what I mean. 

Outstanding for the money.  Dude actually refunded me $50 because one of the latches on the case didn't work.  But they all worked upon arrival, so definitely no complaints.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Reminds me of a 540 Sabre I had.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Super Distortion.  There's one unoriginal tuner, that I've already ordered a replacement for.  The originals are grover mini's.  The string spacing is wider than I expected. That's not a bad thing, just something I noticed.  

The fret work is very nice and faceted on the fingerboard edges as well as the fret ends.  Comfortable and smooth.  Strung up with 9-42 strings.  If I change them over to 10's like all my other guitars I'm sure I would need to dive in to the trem to set it up.  But since this thing is what it is, I'm inclined to leave them. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

More junk I brought home from the electronics hoarder place.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I just went to a buddies house up in Ohio who was in a similar situation.  Living in his dad's old house, his dad died last year sometime.  They're moving back here, need to clean out the place.  

Came back with about 50,000 sports cards - almost all from the card boom era where not many are worth anything.  And about 200 lbs of arrowheads and stone artifacts that were found in plowed up fields in Ohio.  Trying to sort through it all.  We sifted through the arrowheads, pulled some out, poured the rest in an area of the yard. they'll be there whenever I need them, which will certainly be never, but the kids can kick them around when they're bored. 

The sports cards... overwhelming. 
Vinyls.   deal.

everdrone

ok thanks for yalls patience....finally uploaded a clip.  I like the pedal!  It does let in low end.  Newish Pedal Day! Incoming: BASS MOUNTAIN BY FROST GIANT ELECTRONICS.  it is a bass distortion pedal. I bought it new on sale for $150.  I really love the rest of my rig, so I am not that into any pedal in front of the amp just by itself.  I played the first half of the video with my Rickenbacker 4003 Standard with fingerstyle.  Second half is with my modern Schecter with Fishman Fluence pickups which really excels for modern rock.  I played with a pick toward the very end with my Schecter.  I plan to make more videos and all in the future....the signal chain is: RICKENBACKER -->eMPRESS PARAEQ EQUALIZER PEDAL-->DEMONFX CALI 76 COMPRESSOR-->FREQOUT DIGITECH FEEDBACK PEDAL --> FUZZ WORSHIP FROST GIANT BASS MOUNTAIN PEDAL--> ORANGE THUNDERVERB 50-->TORPEDO CAPTOR X -->  OZONE 5 MASTERING SOFTWARE.  tHATS IT LOL! 

renfield

it's like hearing violins your whole life and then hearing a cello

god what a beautiful sound

i couldn't resist

came with a real nice case as well

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

WOW! ren, congratulations. WOW. What year? Amazing. 90's?

RAGER

Very nice Ren. Is that the BT 258E?  Looks like fun.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Wow I thought it was 4 strings doubled. But it's 6+2 it's the BT 258E, if that's what I'm seeing.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71zRvR6wsnS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

renfield

Yep that's right, it's the 258 E. I had to let go of my snobbiness about the fact that it has pickups, or rather, I just loved it enough that I didn't give a shit.

I'll post some clips. It's like holding a whole ass symphony in your hands. Whoever thought to octave-up the center lanes of the fretboard is a genius.

Muffin Man

I have something coming Wed. same price ballpark but I can't handle that many strings. Wild hare so hoping for another luck of the draw.

Muffin Man

Pissy

Pretty cool bass for the entry fee.  My guess is it was made alongside Memphis and Hondo basses at the Matsumoku factory.  That bridge, I'm sure I had one on a Warlock shaped bass branded Fame way back in my teens. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Muffin Man

PSA be aware that Musicians Friend will, if they're out at the warehouse, have one of their Guitar Center stores ship it to you. The last two SDOTD's came to me that way and let.me.tell.you the packing was hilarious. I almost refused the baritone, but, hey, we're freinds, so I accepted it. I know they'll make good on anything, always have. The shipping box was half open so I had to laugh but hey, the guitar does look...spiffy as heck! brand new never opened! All good. They said to call them ahead of time if you want to be sure of a particular, or want to have it shipped from the MF warehouse. Good folks as of this posting, and for me the prior 30 years.

Pissy

So I went a little impulse buying the other day and drained the account with my ebay-effort money in it.  Picked up another Washburn 335 copy, this time in wine red, should be here tomorrow.  I also grabbed a set of Pearly gates pu's for the blonde one I have, and Seth Lover's for this new one.   I just finished installing the Pearly Gates set (that was interesting working on the electronics for a semi-hollow body).  They're quite lush and seem more versatile than typical pickups I get, which tend to be high output.   I'm going to need to play them more to see what I can do with them.   They're nasally, but I don't think of that in a negative way. 

We'll see about the Seth Lover's. 
Vinyls.   deal.