Hand cramping up when taking powerchords

Started by aowron, June 26, 2011, 09:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aowron

So I'm getting these cramps around the base of my thumb after constantly taking power chords for a few of minutes (think of something powerchord intensive, like Fu Manchu). Since I can play the bass (a p-bass) for a much longer period without any problems, I'm suspecting that it doesn't have to do with my hand not being trained but rather that I'm doing something wrong technically.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you get around it/solve it?

VOLVO)))

What fingers are you using to play the power chords? Do you play power chords on the bass? You're probably grabbing too hard. I had this problem, I started playing thumb over the top of the neck, so it wasn't my only anchor point.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

beardofcthulhu

I get that occasionally.  Normally around the first 3 frets.  I'll mess with my strap and try to find a better position, and that usually works.  Flying V's are a bitch :)
Peace through volume.

aowron

Sunn: Only playing power chords on the geetar. Usually putting the thumb on the back of the neck, using my index finger for the heavier string, ring finger and pinky for the two lighter strings two frets up. I'll try your advice regarding putting my thumb on top of the neck and check how it works; might be a bit hard though considering that I have one of those baseball bat-neck epi SGs and pretty small hands.

beardofcthulhu: I usually let my guitar strap slide back and forth (i.e. heightening and lowering the neck) in case I'm standing and playing (using a strap) to avoid fucking up my wrist. Actually, I might not get this when standing and playing; gonna to try that.

VOLVO)))

Neck dive will also result in hand fatigue, coming from a guy who plays Mockingbirds and IB's his entire life.

Just play two notes, the root and a 5th higher. leave off that last note, to eliminate a finger and see if that helps. I play power chords with my index/ring, and when my ring finger is too raw, I use my pinky.

Also, welcome to the board. If you have any questions about damn near anything, we've got a Luthier (Erik,) a mediocre guitar tech/wood worker/piss poor electronics guy (me,) and a silly Illinoying Irishman who is a damnnnnnn good amp/electronics tech that can answer any of your questions.

tell your friends!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

QuoteJust play two notes, the root and a 5th higher. leave off that last note, to eliminate a finger and see if that helps.

You can still get 3 with 2 fingers: 1 to barre, one to cover the next 2 strings.

Also, remember that if you're not gonna hit all the strings, it's not essential for the index finger to do anything but fret thr root note.
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Sounds like maybe you haven't been playing too long and it's just something that will work itself out with practice.  Kinda like sore fingers until you build up calluses.  Just need some muscle memory with repetition.
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

You could try lighter strings and I agree with the previous caller who said you might be using too much force. I use very thick strings and my hand gets pissed off at me sometimes. I have bad wrists and I suck so I usually play 2 note power chords, it's easier and just as heavy but not as full sounding without the octave note.

giantchris

Gripping too hard try to always apply the minimal amount of pressure to fret as possible it will reduce fatigue and increase speed over time. Lots of the other good suggestions in this thread work too.

aowron

Thanks for the replies guys! (and thanks for the welcoming Sunno))) ) It does indeed seem to be a mix of faulty technique (basically pushing too hard on the frets) and that I am quite out of practice (I have only played for ~1.5 years, been pretty out of practice for around half a year). I noticed that when putting my thumb further towards the top of the neck as recommended by Sunn, I also move my hand more, which reduces the strain on the base of my thumb (instead of when moving the hand shorter distances just moving the fingers but keeping the thumb anchored).

Also, the cramps mostly appears when using fret 1-3, which could be related to that I had to change the nut around a year ago (the previous nut was made of cheap chinese plastic which broke when I restringed the guitar with .13 strings); it is quite a bit harder to push at least fret 1 and 2.

Using .12 strings on the SG, though I might need to go to even thicker strings to be able to downtune even further (currently having my geetar downtuned a whole step to D).

Would having a guitar with a thinner neck also help against this?

VOLVO)))

A drop in string gauge is what you need. Use 54-11 or something like that. Most of us play 2, 2 and a half steps down, with 13's and whatnot. If your nut is too high at 1/2 you may also be putting unnecessary strain on your hand...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

The more you downtune the less pressure you will need to use to fret but the more floppy your tone will get. I actually kind of like a bit of flop in my tone. I have locking tuners on my SG and years back when I used that guitar for down tuned sludge, stoner and doom playing I was constantly experimenting with different strings and tunings. I generally found that if I put together custom sets myself I could get the exact sound I wanted for each tuning. Some guitar shops sell individual strings as do some online stores. Don't believe what people will tell you about needing super super thick strings just to tune down to C or B. I've been down as low as a full octave, it wasn't great sounding but it can be done with a regular guitar although A is probably a more realistic limit if you want to maintain good clarity on the lowest notes.

jibberish

practice through that.

i have a drill that is nothing but a barre chord song including many rapid changes from E maj->a Maj (1st position) and back and all up and down the neck. i play that song until my hand cramps..get it??? heh ;)

i had to get barre chord tuff since the bulk of my playing is rhythm for my pal's singing and trombone parts. we have one song tht is about 4 minutes non-stop barre chords...i have had to cut practice short on that song before..can only hold down barre chords for so long. also one of my specialties is playing a melody inside of a sustained chord, so you have to keep fingers down while you lift fingers up=need strength and endurance from practicing this crap.

ya, you have to build up to sustained barre chord playing..no way around that..(well IMO only of course, but i love chords so i make sure i can get through anything i need to by working on it until i can)