Show Off Your Rigs: Rebirth

Started by VOLVO))), December 04, 2010, 06:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Mid 70's Ampeg SVT and my new custom-built replica Dietz 2x15 cab. TONE
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

VOLVO)))

Look's rad, Danny! Love that SVT...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

Hey Jake,

I remember seeing a picture of all your guitar cases on a shelving unit.
Where that be at?
What Would Scooby Do ?

LogicalFrank

Here is my wee home setup:

I got another rack w/ a bunch of my old guitars on it too.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Mike_Sims

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Mike_Sims

I wish... I'm the guitarist in this group. Our drummer's kit fucking slays though.. I think they're mahogany shells or something, fucking huge, and weigh a ton. It's a Gretsch set, I can't remember the exact model/series/line though.

grimniggzy

Old pic. Have since updated to a Beta Bass.
Def have to get updated pics of the whole family + pedalboard soon.

clockwork green

Our bass player just picked this up from a friend of ours. It's one of Al's old cabs. It's a 4x15.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mike_Sims

eddiefive10

grimniggzy

Quote from: clockwork green on March 16, 2011, 01:49:53 AM
Our bass player just picked this up from a friend of ours. It's one of Al's old cabs. It's a 4x15.

"It's one of Al's old cabs. It's a 4x15."
Way sweet!

grimniggzy

Quote from: grimniggzy on March 14, 2011, 11:48:57 AM

Old pic. Have since updated to a Beta Bass.
Def have to get updated pics of the whole family + pedalboard soon.

I actually took one of my Concert Basses out for practice on Monday night. Which hasn't happened since I replaced it with the Beta Bass.
Plugged straight into the back "power amp in" & ripped shit so fucking hard.

Setup was...
USA P BASS---> Boss OC-2 > Korg Pitchblack > Old Square EHX QTron > 90's ProCo RAT II > First Act Chorus > Tech21 VT Bass---> Sunn Concert Bass + some old (homeade?) 2X15 @ the space

I love my Beta Bass (which replaced my CB) for the fact that it has 2 channels but for me nothing thats solid state beats just having a strong power amp to push with my pedalboard.
IMO these heads are unbeatable in effectiveness as far as power, upkeep & toughness are concerned.
I don't really want to go to tubes anytime soon and if it weren't for SS Sunns I don't think it'd be possible not too in this style of music.

VOLVO)))

So Al has hung up those 4x15's and sold them? He must be reaaaaalllly into those emperors.

Get dimesions, height, width, depth please. Seems like they would be good to have around...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 16, 2011, 12:03:25 PM
So Al has hung up those 4x15's and sold them? He must be reaaaaalllly into those emperors.

Get dimesions, height, width, depth please. Seems like they would be good to have around...

Yeah, don't think hes used those in a while. when I saw him w/ Sleep I believe he had 
1. Older Ampeg Head & 8X10
&
2. Marshall JCM900 and 2 4X12's

I also dont think he was using them the time i saw Om a few years ago.
I just fig'd he had them stashed away somewhere, but fuck...

Ayek

They were using rentals at those Sleep reunions shows, different gear at every gig.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Ayek on March 16, 2011, 01:31:48 PM
They were using rentals at those Sleep reunions shows, different gear at every gig.

Yeah, somebody said they had a buncha Oranges a few nights before.

LogicalFrank

I saw Al w/ Om and he had what looked like 2 v4's plugged into 4x12's... Sounded righteous and loud as a motherfuck too.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

Alright, someone needs to explain something to everyone. Al CONSTANTLY uses guitar cabs, is this because he rocks an amp with a metric shit-ton of balls to act as sort of a kicker for his highs and mids coming from the guitar cabs? I know all of the Marshall cabs he used on tour weren't his, so they couldn't ALL have been fitted with bass 12s. I have a theory, maybe he's found a way to make a route-able crossover for his pedalboard, or somewhere hidden behind the amps to send only certain frequencies to certain amps, so he doesn't blow the 12s in the guitar cabs. Another theory, The AMOUNT of 12's he's using spreads the low end across enough area to counter-act them jumping out of the baskets. I was told that a 6x12 guitar cab was more than sufficient to play a bass through, it's the amount of speakers that matters... and, of course the handling power...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 16, 2011, 02:25:41 PM
Alright, someone needs to explain something to everyone. Al CONSTANTLY uses guitar cabs, is this because he rocks an amp with a metric shit-ton of balls to act as sort of a kicker for his highs and mids coming from the guitar cabs? I know all of the Marshall cabs he used on tour weren't his, so they couldn't ALL have been fitted with bass 12s. I have a theory, maybe he's found a way to make a route-able crossover for his pedalboard, or somewhere hidden behind the amps to send only certain frequencies to certain amps, so he doesn't blow the 12s in the guitar cabs. Another theory, The AMOUNT of 12's he's using spreads the low end across enough area to counter-act them jumping out of the baskets. I was told that a 6x12 guitar cab was more than sufficient to play a bass through, it's the amount of speakers that matters... and, of course the handling power...

I'd assume the fact that he uses a fullstack when he does it would help out a little, but I have no way of even guessing how he does this constantly.
I've seen some of his pedalboards and its always pretty bare-bones. I know he has used a DS-1 for his guitar amp side, maybe its the fact that he's losing some or possible a lot of lows there if he has the tone knob set that way.
He very well may have some sort of crossover hidden somewhere though.

Lumpy

Quote from: eddiefive10 on March 16, 2011, 08:59:32 AM
What kind of head is that?

Looks like a Trace-Elliott... V6? All tube head, kind of rare.

QuoteHe very well may have some sort of crossover hidden somewhere though.

Follow the cables, he has two outputs. One is going through the DOD 250, the other through the Boss. Maybe it's an optical illusion but it looks like everything is cranked on the Boss, including the tone knob. Maybe that's the line feeding the guitar cabs. Or he could be EQ'ing some lows out, of the head that feeds the guitar cab.

I've seen OM a few times and never noticed a guitar cab in his setup, but I don't consciously pay that much attention to gear at a show. A little bit, but it doesn't sink in I guess.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

grimniggzy

Yeah, I know he was spitting the signal, I was talking about setting different frequencies to different heads.
The DS-1 is def the guitar rig side & the DOD is the bass side.
And since the Boss is all cranked you can be sure hes losing a TON of low end on that signal.

VOLVO)))

Called my car stereo buddy who makes rad active crossovers, to see if he could rig me up an active crossover that splits lows and high/mids to two quarter inch jacks, and also to see if he can build me a phase push so all of my cabs push in phase. This might be a neat experiment.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

Yeah it's a Trace V6. He's got George Rice's Matamp 200 but it needs tubes.

Quote from: Lumpy on March 16, 2011, 03:30:32 PM
Quote from: eddiefive10 on March 16, 2011, 08:59:32 AM
What kind of head is that?

Looks like a Trace-Elliott... V6? All tube head, kind of rare.

QuoteHe very well may have some sort of crossover hidden somewhere though.

Follow the cables, he has two outputs. One is going through the DOD 250, the other through the Boss. Maybe it's an optical illusion but it looks like everything is cranked on the Boss, including the tone knob. Maybe that's the line feeding the guitar cabs. Or he could be EQ'ing some lows out, of the head that feeds the guitar cab.

I've seen OM a few times and never noticed a guitar cab in his setup, but I don't consciously pay that much attention to gear at a show. A little bit, but it doesn't sink in I guess.

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Wesogkan

Alrighty, here goes...practice space rig, home practice amp with the twins, and drums in my other band.

[attachment deleted by admin]