Main Menu

jam room

Started by ROWDYBEER, December 14, 2010, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROWDYBEER

I have a 20x20 building that was built in the 20's. so real 2x4 and 2x6's etc. It's goin to be my bands new practice spot. Do you think it would be better to leave it open to the peak of the roof or put a ceiling in it?

neighbor664

Depends, do you need to insulate, soundproof or ventilate it at all? How high is the celling? Would adding a loft for storage or whatever be useful? Got any pics?

black_out

I would imagine more open square footage would be easier on your ears. 
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

spookstrickland

Leave the Peak.  I had a drummer one time that had a room that was about the same size as my previous practice space only difference was his had a peak and it sounded amazing.  So full and alive with out sounding "reverby"

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

ROWDYBEER

Yeah that's what I was thinking some good full sounds. I'm thinking it's going to be an awesome studio. Never had one at my house. Ah the beers will flow. Can't get pulled over walking to the house but I may get lost 2 acres is big and dark at night.

black_out

You should throw some pictures up dude. This sounds fucking awesome. I pass this old barn on the way to work everyday that just has so much fucking character. It had to have been built in the late 1800's or something. Seems like it'd be a rad place to cut a record. I'm picturing your place to be something pretty similar.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

ROWDYBEER

I will take some before and after pics. What's the cheapest route for being somewhat soundproof?

justJon

Don't know how cheap it is, but two layers of sheetrock does a pretty good job. Not soundproof, but a good deal quieter outside.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

black_out

I've heard of people using empty egg cartons to sound proof. Probably work even better if you filled them with that canned self hardening foam bullshit they sell at the hardware store.

Lumpy

Egg cartons don't do anything for soundproofing, they might deaden the sound a little so it's not so ringy. It might sound better but it won't do anything to prevent annoying the neighbors. To soundproof, you need to seal things up air tight, and you need mass. Anywhere air can get in, sound can get out. If you really need to soundproof, building a room inside your shed/cottage/whatever would be the way to go. Double walls with insulation if possible. Rubber matting underneath a floating floor to absorb vibrations. Lots of info on how to do it online.

Turns out those basement jam rooms can be pretty good after all - you can't get any more 'mass' than being underground on all four walls and a floor.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

tossom

We have a spare room at the back of a fishmongers, it has inspired us to write haddock based songs.

By what you have said about your room we would happilly swap with you!  The room we use is used by a couple of other bands too, they have used lots of old carpet as a soundproofer.  Place fucking stinks though...
"Beige rock"

VOLVO)))

All my shit is in a 15x20 storage unit. Works just fine for my bands. No noise/time constraints... The sound ain't too bad. Needs carpet, and it's colder than a witch's tit in winter.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dogfood

Mass=sound proof.  It's the bass freq. that will go through anything and you need mass to stop it.  Carpet and foam will deaden the high frequencies and make the room not ring-y. Sound room design is a looong subject.  Look up the John L Sayers forums and keep in mind the posters on that forum are cunts.
Problem solving whiskey!

ROWDYBEER

Sunday the build begins
spray foam (great stuff)
replace a few floor planks
get rid of all windows
move door
cut out middle partial wall
run romex, outlets, subpanel, and ground rod
clean a bit so it's ready for insulation, insulation, sound deadening board
take some before and after pics
merry Xmas

Jake

I'm excited for you.
poop.

ROWDYBEER

I appreciate your excitement as it is damn exciting!

dogfood

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GIVE US PICTURES!
Problem solving whiskey!

ROWDYBEER

Sorry I meant to post sOme pics and update this thread yesterday but all my technology had a brutal meltdown. I'm still recovering from the burn.

ROWDYBEER

ROWDYBEER