2x12 vs 4x12 vs 2x15 for guitar

Started by Blueberry Lazer, April 25, 2011, 04:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry Lazer

Well I have finally pulled the trigger on an Electric Amp MVU 120.

Now it's time to decide what cab I should purchase for it. For the next 12 months I can get $110 knocked off of any Electric Amp USA cabinet. Initially I wanted something small and manageable like a 2x12 that I could transport myself. However the 2x12 costs would cost about $700 but for $970 I could get 4x12 or a 2x15 cab. I'm thinkin I should throw in the extra cash for and get a 4x12 instead of a 2x12 since this is going to be the last big spending spree for a long time and  it will obviously sounds bigger and bassier than a 2x12 (although it will be a lot heavier). I have 4 several 4x12 cabs already but they are all rated at different ohms. and im assuming that the sunn cab is the only one that could rival an electric 4x12 in sound ( as opposed to my avatar with celestion g12h30s and my peavey 5150 slant cab)

But what about a 2x15 cab. Will this sound too farty or woofy for guitar? Would doom be the only thing that sounds good through this. Anybody here use a 2x15 for guitar?

justinhedrick

i actually use two 2x15 cabs for my guitar right now. that is shortly going to change because i am (hopefully) getting rid of one of them (a kustom 2x15) and getting a randall 2x12 that fits on top of my randall 2x15. but that is another thread . . .

to me, 2x15s sound rounder, but it also seems they are a lot less forgiving when it comes to eq-ing. the highs are going to sound high, the lows low, and the midrange can mess things up very quickly.

but all of that being said, i like my 2x15.

VOLVO)))

I use a 4x12/2x15 mix. I get the best of both worlds, that way.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

I'd probably shell out the extra cash for a 4x12. I mean, I would not think you were buying that amp in order to be quiet. 2x15 vs. 4x12 is a matter of taste. I use a 2x15 myself. I am probably going to go back to using it w/ a 2 or 4x12 for matters of volume though.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

clockwork green

A 2x15 by itself would be great for deep, spanky cleans by not for heavy distortion because it would lack focus. I run a 4x12 with a 2x15 and it sounds great...punch with openness. A 2x12 won't let the amp breathe enough so if you can only have one I'd say a 4x12. Not original but classic for a reason.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

Actually, the 2x15 adds my "haze," but I can still play death metal on it, if I wanted to...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 25, 2011, 05:45:00 PM
Actually, the 2x15 adds my "haze," but I can still play death metal on it, if I wanted to...

agreed. most of the 2x15s i've heard are pretty focused.

clockwork green

They're good with distortion but lacking in midrange focus like a good 12. The only time I've liked 15's without 12's or 10's is for surf or jazz.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Blueberry Lazer

damnit man, seems like 4x12 is the most sensible. Maybe I can track a 2x15 cab down and try it out before I make my decision.  It seems as though tight bass percussive palm mutes (ala thrash) are no good with a 2x15.

VOLVO)))

I do it every day. I'll record a video of it, for you. I'll even play it on a fucking telecaster.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Blueberry Lazer

vids or it don't happen. Thanks mane

ROWDYBEER

I have two emperor Oversized 2x12's and It's awesome. Can carry them myself. Makes loading and unloading for gigs a lot easier than 4x12's. But if I could only get one cab it would be a 4x12 and if I wasn't gigging it would be a 4x12. 2x15's are cool but in my opinion but only mixed with some 12's.

LogicalFrank

Quote from: clockwork green on April 25, 2011, 05:55:09 PM
They're good with distortion but lacking in midrange focus like a good 12. The only time I've liked 15's without 12's or 10's is for surf or jazz.

Yeah, both my 2x15s have a gently scooped midrange. It is kind of what I like about 'em. There is enough clarity from the top end to get through in the mix but it is still broad and sprawling sounding.

For the record, I don't think there is anything inherent in fifteen inches over twelve that leads to punchy mids. That is just what speaker manufactures have decided most people want in a fifteen, which is all well and good. After all, there are some twelves that don't really have punchy midrange either.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Blueberry Lazer

Well Joel of Electric Amp had me write out what kind of guitars i have and what kind of music I would mainly be playing through my new amp and cab. He was very friendly and talkative and informed me on which cab he would go with in my situation. I was quite surprised that he recommended the  vertical 2x12 with Eminence tonkers. I had almost wrote off a 2x12 completely. All my friends say "if your already spending $700 on 2 12 inch speakers, you might as well pay the extra $270 and double up.". It would be convenient to have a cab that I could move around easily without help. And Joel swears by it and says that he would put his 2x12 up against any 4x12 in the industry and that it will have better  crisp responsiveness for thrashing than a 4x12. I'm sure the man knows his work and that this is a great recommendation. I just want to be sure before I make the plunge. The last thing I want is to wish that I had went bigger. sheesh. At least this purchase has given us more shit to talk about. I'm just  so indecisive because i can't try before i buy.

dogfood

If you have a quality 412 sitting around why not buy the 212?  You can always lug an additional 412 around if you want the extra cab.  cash wise, yeah, you are getting the value meal with the 412.
Problem solving whiskey!

Jake

4x12. There's nothing a 2x12 can do sonically that a 4x12 cannot.
poop.

Hemisaurus

Stupid answer maybe, but for $970, you can buy a 2x12 AND 4x12 from Avatar loaded w/ Celestions.

Blueberry Lazer

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 27, 2011, 11:46:42 AM
Stupid answer maybe, but for $970, you can buy a 2x12 AND 4x12 from Avatar loaded w/ Celestions.

Not a stupid answer at all. I really don't NEED a new cab at the moment. In fact I have four 4x12 cabs taking up plenty of space in my house right now. That are not getting nearly the amount of use that they should. I'm just wound up at the possibility. That discounted price has got me fiendish like a crack head, and it's really not much of a discount.  I also just found out that I could get an Emperor cab with 2 12" speakers and a 15" for $825 plus shipping. Perhaps this is the best of both world. Here I go again.

eyeprod

It sounds like you don't need the cab at the moment, and that's expensive for a 2x12. They probably price them like that because they'd rather sell the 4x12 (and speakers) and it takes as much work to make either. So, get the 4x12 and if you're thinking about 15's then turn one or two of the cabs you already have into a nice 2x15. That's what I would do if I needed 15's. I think they're pretty cool for doom and shit like that. For straight up rock, you don't need them, but you could make good use of them. The ones I had were a cool classic rock sound, but not enough bite for my style, even alongside 4x12's I got rid of that 2x15 cab.
CV - Slender Fungus

peyotepeddler

get a 4x12, then add something to the mix later on

inductorguitars

Since you've got 4 4x12's get the 2x12 and/or the 2x15. Add some variety.

Blueberry Lazer

thank for all the replies folks. I think I may hold off for now. I gotta buncha traveling I hope to do this summer. Maybe I should just see how it sounds with all my other cabs. ::sigh:: But the offer is good for 1 years and Their 4x12 still cheaper than an Orange 4x12 (which I've always wanted). I have yet to try a 2x15 still maybe I will want one when I get around to doing so.  Who knows. Thanks again for all the opinions.

LogicalFrank

Does anyone know if 2x15s in those cabs that are basically shaped about the same as a 4x12 (such as how Electric does them) tend to sound more midrangy and guitary? I do know that of my two 2x15s, the smaller of them has a more natural sound for guitar but that could easily be the speakers.