Releasing music on cassette

Started by bbottom, September 18, 2019, 09:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

For the past several years we've played with bands (mostly punk bands) who sell their music on tape at shows. I always thought this was really odd and figured that it was just a hipster thing. I guess having lived through the heyday of cassettes it was a format that I never missed because I remember what a pain in the ass it was.

Last night I watched the documentary "Cassette: A documentary mixtape" and it made me rethink how I felt about the format. So much so that I'm thinking about doing a release on tape (in conjunction with streaming and download) for shits.

What do you think about this and have you ever done anything like this?

mortlock

Yes. My band has several tape releases. Put out by other people on their labels in limited runs. Some have been pro manufactured tapes others have been recycled tapes. Im into them and have tons of tape releases from other bands that were traded at shows we played.
I think the main reason for the tape resurgance is due to bands wanting an analog release for their merch box but cant afford to press vinyl. Tapes are a fraction of the cost especially if you use recycled tapes.

bbottom

socket

I need to see this documentary. I kind of like the tape releases as a neat collectible but also currently think of it as just some hipster thing.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

renfield

Hip hop kid Milo said it's just practical because most of his friends drive shitty old cars that only have a cassette player.

Dunno if I believe him though

Lumpy

I'm working on a cassette compilation right now. I also helped release a compilation in 2017 on Mortlock's label. Cassettes are roughly $2/copy to manufacture with full color J card, printed cassette shell, etc. That's if you're doing it the fancy way. Lots of people are doing it cheaper on small runs with their own dubs, making their own J cards, and writing the name of the recording on the cassette shell with a marker.

A lot of people use this place:

https://www.nationalaudiocompany.com

Here's a package deal they're running:

https://www.nationalaudiocompany.com/cassette-duplication/package-specials/

The "cassingle" special is limited to 30 minutes of music - enough for an EP, almost an LP, but it only has a cardboard sleeve, not a plastic case. The "retro" special is limited to 60 minutes. (The tape stock they use has a 64 minute max).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bbottom

National Audio Company is one of the companies that was featured in the documentary. I spent a good deal of time on their site yesterday.

I was really curious about how mastering worked for tape. After going through having our last album mastered for vinyl, I was wondering if tape had similar restrictions.

I've been going through a bunch of our material to see if there is anything in there that we haven't released on other platforms that I could use to do a one off tape single. If for nothing else it would be cool just to try it

SpaceTrucker

Sounds like shit after a hot day though :'(.

Lumpy

Cassette order arrived today, I'll add a pic later.
Quote from: bbottom on September 19, 2019, 10:37:45 PM

I was really curious about how mastering worked for tape. After going through having our last album mastered for vinyl, I was wondering if tape had similar restrictions.

I've been going through a bunch of our material to see if there is anything in there that we haven't released on other platforms that I could use to do a one off tape single. If for nothing else it would be cool just to try it

Treble is missing the crispness and detail of digital, bass is big soft and warm (overall seems good for doom metal I think) but make the treble details prominent if you want to be sure they make it to tape, and even then expect them to be rolled off. NAC does send a test cassette to get your approval before doing your run. I asked about getting more treble detail and they told me that's about as good as it gets. What about maybe releasing something on cassette only, to avoid comparing the mix on cassette and CD versions (etc). I would mix it pretty normally with the expectation that it's going to sound a little bassy and not much treble crispness, and consider that part of the appeal.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

I wish there was more hiss... I'm helping release a noise compilation and some of the digital tracks had lots of hiss that didn't show up on the cassette version. It's kind of a drag.

Lumpy

My tape order arrived. 250 copies, 37 pound box. I have to mail a whole bunch of packages during Christmas rush :(

(a noise compilation, I'm not on it)

Isabellacat

There's definitely a market for them. I'm shocked actually how bands have been selling them successfully during this day and age. Feels like there's been a cassette renaissance lately!

Sleep's The Sciences on cassette is killer.

Imo it's probably more wiser to make cassette copies of an album to sell,than uploading them on Youtube for free.