Main Menu

Squier 51

Started by MikeyT, December 12, 2010, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_'51

Anyone here own or have owned a Squier 51 ?

They're kind of a combination of Stratocasters & Telecasters with some features from a Fender Precision.
They were super cheap initially, but the used ones have gone up substantially in price.

I see them on Craig's List occasionally. Tried to snag one a couple weeks ago- the guy had it for $125, which is a good price; but I was too slow on the draw.

Like most people, I'm averse to spending money right now on anything, but musical instruments are so alluring.
Yes, I have GAS.

Anyway, I'm interested in impressions of those guitars.
The necks ?
The sound ?
The vibe ?

Ranbat

I had one for awhile, a vintage burst. They are of Affinity Series quality and awesome to mod. If you've ever picked up an Affinity Strat or Tele you know what the neck is like. I like the stock control setup of a push/pull splitter for the humbucker. I think GFS still has some custom pickguards for them. Really fun guitars, but I never saw it as a serious guitar for gigging.
Meh :/

MikeyT

I like small necks. The Affinity has a slightly smaller neck than other Squier Strats according to the stats.

So the '51 has a smallish neck ? Or is it more like a Tele neck ?

Ranbat

I don't notice any difference between the Affinity Strats and Affinity Teles, but yes, it is a smaller neck.
Meh :/

MikeyT

VOLVO)))

The only things I'd change on those teles are the bridge pickup, and the tuners... otherwise, they play damn good..
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MikeyT

Jake

I've got a pretty slick blonde one that I traded a Fulltone pedal for on craigslist. I'd say the neck is a pretty stock Tele size – just very "medium."

There's a Squier 51 modders forum out there that is way cool. Some of the mods those people have done will blow you away.
poop.

MikeyT

Yeah, they sure seem like fun little guitars. Sometimes cheap is good.   :)

Thanks for the "neck info".
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'