Bass amp for under $500?

Started by kirky, October 25, 2018, 02:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

So ive got a 100w AOR with an Orange 2x12 (vintage 30s) cab that I want to bi-amp with a bass amp. I'm using a Epi Jack Casady with a fuzz pedal. What should I get? Playing for a doomy punk style band. Won't be playing out a lot but it needs to still be pretty loud. Seems like there's a lot of new cheap bass amps out there like the Acoustic bass combos. Do I want 10s or a 15? New to bass playing so I'm pretty green about what will work.

Lumpy

Look for Peavey or Ampeg 4x10 or 2x15 on Craigs list, get a Peavey, Gallien Kruger, Ampeg head to match. Tube amps are more important for guitars, not as important for bass. If you see something on Craigs List, Google for reviews. Or post a link here. A Peavey cab should be $250 maximum (not every Peavey cab is good, look for the 4x10 or 2x15). You can get a decent head for 250-300.

Kind of a big topic, that's some of my beliefs...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

kirky

mortlock

depends on what you want. 10s can be a little punchier/tighter sounding. 15s can sound really massive but maybe not as punchy as the 10s.
I have both cabs but my current rig is a peavey mark vi head into a randall 2x15 cab and a dod death metal pedal. works well for the death metal sound im looking for. the 4x10 also sounds good but I like the way the 2x15 sounds against the guitar players half stack.

Lumpy

Supposedly, bigger speaker size doesn't automatically equal "more bass". You can have low bass with 10" speakers. (In some cases, it is true, like a 12" guitar speaker will usually sound more full than a 10" speaker).

I like 10" speakers for bass, they seem to have slightly more note definition.

If you're on a budget, see what's on Craigs List, it's the best place to buy speaker cabinets because nobody wants to ship them.

If you want really low bass, then there are some modern cabs which are supposedly catering to that... Ampeg 6x10, certain modern Peavey cabs I think...

Lumpy

Hmm, its not terrible (under $200) but not awesome specs... rated for 200 watts RMS means it can't handle a powerful amp, and 95 dB sensitivity means it's not efficient (it won't seem loud).

https://ampeg.com/pdf/BSE410H_HS_HLF.pdf

However, it might match up okay with your 2x12 though. But 100 watts driving both cabs might not be enough for you, it's hard to guess. Can you bring your amp to Guitar Center and try everything together? Or will they accept a return if it's not a good solution? Also, some stores can be lowballed with a cash offer.

kirky

I was thinking of using the 4x10 with the Laney only now and bi-amping it with a 1x15 combo.

Lumpy

I think you should keep looking, but also see if you can take that cab for a test run. It's an Ampeg but not one of the better ones. Maybe it's good enough though. If you had a really loud bass cab, it might swamp the guitar amp. You probably want a balance.