Bringing instruments into canada

Started by mortlock, April 09, 2017, 04:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

What does it take to get a guitar and bass into canada? Does it depend on the border guards mood? Is there any hard rules with this to follow?

Danny g, you must have the answer to this.

Bro. Righteous

You need to drive a '73 Green Gremlin Pinto, mag wheels, Moose-skin interior, wear a beaver pelt headband,
case of Export (or Moosehead) in the back (fuck Canadian!)..., Rush, April Wine or Triumph cranked from
your stereo - and lots of beef jerky.
....oh, and keep sayin' eh....eh? Like a lot....eh.

Seriously never even considered nor had a problem hauling gear across North American borders.

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

Submarine

Are you performing?  If the answer is yes, you will need consider some stuff.
The short version is that you are potentially pulling money out of Canada.  No country likes that.
However, if you are bringing money into Canada such as using a recording studio - they like that.

Pissy

Even though this is from the internet, it's a good article.  In my work, we travel to CA quite a bit, and i see similarities to what our techs go through. Don't discount the whole "background check" thing. It will be a show stopper if things aren't taken care of.

http://blog.sonicbids.com/want-to-tour-in-canada-heres-what-american-bands-need-to-know
Vinyls.   deal.

Baltar

Some ignorant piece of shit tried to fleece me coming back into Detroit from Windsor about 3 years ago. I have dual-citizenship, so the rules for either country don't apply to me. "You gotta have papers...oh...you were born in the U.S......oh....drive safe."   Yeah, later jerk-off.

Both sides pull this shit, but I've only had problems with going back into the U.S.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Lumpy

If you're just bringing a bass and guitar with you (original post says that) you might say you're going up for the weekend to hang out with friends. If they look in the trunk say oh yeah, we hang out and play music (?) You guys don't look like the typical band, there's 3 people and only two instruments, that could work. I don't think they inspect every car, but I'll ask my friend, she drives into Montreal about 3 times a year.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Baltar

I was going into Mich to do the very same thing. As if there's $$$ in Stoner-Rock. "I just go up to Auburn Hills and jam with my buddy in his garage". It's fucking stupid for both countries. I bet half the border guards think ANYONE makes $$$ playing in bands. But I would definitely tell them it's a gift, especially if it's just a guitar or bass Lump!

Lumpy

My one friend who looks like a total hippy and has been living in Montreal semi-illegally had his laptop searched last time. They made him give up his password and took his laptop into another room. So don't bring a laptop, just in case. He's been going back & forth between countries a little too much, they keep records, so it's not the same situation for most people.

Pissy

There is a right way to do this. If you go into it with the mentality that you're going to be slick and hope for the best, then you will have problems.  If you have an air tight explanation, then it should be ok. If you don't, expect delays and potentially getting sent packing.  Lying about what you're doing isn't smart, because the border cops hear lies on a consistent basis, and thats grounds to give the boot.

Having a contract fromthe promoter is a big help, but in all the years ive played, i can count twice, maybe that there's been a contract.   Im sure Morty's situation is the same.
Vinyls.   deal.

Lumpy

Lets wait to confirm, but his first post says he's only bringing a guitar and a bass. Not a drum kit or amps. If so, his equipment will fit in his trunk. Also, these guys don't look like professional musicians hahaha. I could be wrong, but I think they can drive through like everybody else, show their IDs and continue without getting searched.

One easy thing to do is to scrub your Facebook personal pages of anything that says "we're playing a big concert in Canada". If you do get pulled aside for questioning, I think they'll look you up on Facebook.

Baltar

I agree with Pissy, do everything by the book. I've never had to lie to them. I actually was going over to jam and see my mum near Auburn Hills. I never, ever bring a laptop over the border. I've never owned a smart phone, so I never got attached to one either. I have long hair again, so I definitely look like a dirt-bag guitar player. I never wear my leather jacket or hair down, and I keep a crucifix on my dash. When I used to cross, I would leave all my padlocks and cases unlocked. I even thought about having clear plexi covers made for the back of my LP and SG.  It's always been scary crossing, but now they're really gonna crack down.

neighbor664

I can't tell you from experience about bringing guitars and music equipment, but I can tell you what it is like to have to do a full international carnet and manifest for a 53' semi full of electronic equipment needed for a convention.

Lumpy

Quote from: Baltar on April 10, 2017, 12:56:50 PM
I agree with Pissy, do everything by the book. I've never had to lie to them.

So he should say they're going over to play a gig? Even though they'll probably make less than $100? Maybe even much less?

Baltar

The sad fact is, if you're gonna get paid for a gig you're gonna need a work visa. If I were him, I wouldn't lie. If he's going over to make money at a gig, he's making money on Canadian soil. If he were to donate it to a non-profit like Highway of Tears for abused Aboriginal women and girls, he'd prolly be ok.  But I do NOT fuck with Customs. I've been ping-ponging over the border since I was two weeks old. I've watched my dad over the years deal with Customs and he always says this: "Keep your answers simple. When you elaborate or give them too much info, it leads to more questions." I was in Detroit last week and I wore a tie, Polo shirt and nice dress pants when I crossed. Appearance matters.

http://www.highwayoftears.ca

Danny G

Haven't been to Canada in a few years but have gone there as a touring musician and as part of a road crew.

IIRC as an obvious band there was a process. I think we had a managerial type handling the phone calls and paperwork shit. There was some visa paperwork we had to fill out while we were in Canada. But we did everything by the book and other than the delays getting through the border and that process it was fine.

As a crew member was even easier. However out drum tech and Merch person could not enter Canada due to certain things on their records (DWI, child support flight risk). They are VERY strict on that shit. If you have a DWI they will let you in once with a hefty fine. But just once. Use it wisely.

Other than that, crossing back into the U.S. was stupid fucking easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

mortlock

The decision has been made to borrow gear. Cant take the chance. There should be some hard written policy on this, not the mood of the border guard you get at any given time.

Danny G

^ Boom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Baltar

I feel for you. It's lame on either side. Almost no one makes money playing gigs now. Politicians try to suck the joy out of everything.

I'm always happy to loan out gear! I have 2 half-stacks, 4 guitars, and tons of pedals.

If ANYONE is playing in Windsor, Ontario, please don't hesitate to bmail me.

mortlock

We just played canada last saturday. I brought my bass and fx. Guitar and fx and drum sticks. Drums and amps were provided. The promoter sent me a letter that cited some law regarding music and bands and stuff. It worked like a charm. The border guard read it and waved us through with no questions.
We had a funny exchange with the US border guard on the way home.
Guard - what were you guys doing in canada
Driver - playing music
Guard - what kind of band
Driver - heavy metal
Guard - whats the name of you band
Driver - hades mining co
Guard - what do you play
Driver - drums
Me - bass
Other guy - guitar
Guard - wheres your instruments
Driver - in the trunk
Guard - wheres the drums
Driver - they provided drums
Guard to me - what kind of bass do you play
Me - fender jazz bass
Guard - japanese or american
Me - vintage series 62 reissue
Guard - have a nice night

neighbor664

I know from my experiences with shipping electronics between USA and Canada that stating country of manufacture/origin is required in documents. However, it sounds like you just got a guard who plays bass.

Pissy

The promoter sent me a letter that cited some law regarding music and bands and stuff.
Nice!  Good on the promoter!
Vinyls.   deal.

Lumpy

How was the show?

Did you have any good food in Toronto?

Baltar

Pissy

Would it be possible to post the contents of this letter from the promoter in an anonymous fashion?  To use as a boilerplate?  It may help somone down the road.
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

Lumpy. The show was fucking awesome. Moved a ton of merch, which usually doesnt happen. Didnt eat while we were there although we were in the heart of chinatown and it smelled good. Tons of places.
Pissy, im going to do that. Ill get it posted soon.