Main Menu

2 Track Open Mic

Started by mortlock, February 18, 2017, 12:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

whats the best and cheapest 2 track digital recorders for live music ??

Pissy

I know nothing of the question, but I do know that rarely do best and cheapest match up into one answer.   You must choose.
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

bbottom

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but I've been using a Zoom H2 to record my band practices for years. It's really easy to use and I have never had any problems with it

Bro. Righteous

The H2's are great, used those for years also, cheap and good audio, I've recently moved on to
the Zoom Q2 for video capabilities also, best of both worlds, good audio and a narcissistic bent
of being able to watch yourself play. I burn those fuckers onto hardcopy DVD's, give 'em to the
boys, crank it on your home theatre stereo, man, it's like your own fucking concert in your living room!

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

Lumpy

I love the Zoom H2, mine finally died after 8 years of use, so I splurged on a Zoom H6. It has 4 mic inputs (XLR or 1/4 inch capable) and nice built-in stereo room mics. The level controls are external knobs, so I never need to use the digital menu (I use the same settings every time). You can buy the H6 for $350. The H2 is much cheaper. Get the "deluxe package" with mic stand adapter and tabletop adapter, cheap plastic shit but makes it easy to use. The H6 records up to 5 separate files simultaneously (4 direct inputs plus stereo room mic). I think the H2 can record separate Left/Right files but it takes menu diving. It's been a while since I used it though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/zoom-h6-handy-recorder?rNtt=zoom%20h6&index=1

Any Zoom recorder is worth checking out, probably. Just depends on what your budget is, and what features you want. I wanted extra mic inputs to record separate 'close mic' tracks, and external knobs.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

Oh, now that I see what you're talking about, I can chime in.

I have a Roland R-05.  Like $200. Sounds awesome, easy to use and understand, plug in a 1/8" stereo plug from a board and it records stereo. It'd be perfect for podcasting, if you're into that.

Btw, if any of you are into podcasting, to me  the difference between whether I listen or not depends on sound quality as much as content. If it sounds like a laptop mic, I'm not listening.  Good mics into a board, then recorded onto one of these things works great.
Vinyls.   deal.