Build a Rig for a Grand

Started by CID Vicious, October 30, 2016, 03:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CID Vicious

So, I had to leave all my gear behind in storage in L.A. Wanted to leave it where it was safe while I was getting the Northwest to do my bidding.

Well, the latter part worked out better than planned: Tuesday, I go into the studio with a favorite drummer. Been listening to him since the 90's and likely you have too...but don't want to jinx anything yet.

So I'm grinding up money, my old car is questionable about making another 2000 mile hail Mary, & I'm new at my job...guess I gotta buy a rig!

Normally I have a Gibson SG1 or Melody Maker reissue 1H plugged into either a Laney AOR 100 or a Tri AC & slave head. Line 6 M13, Crybaby standard with 12 bucks in mods, & that covers pretty much all my bases.

I originally picked up a Samick Greg Bennett Torino with my favorite Duncan Designeds in it. *Could* have used this stock. Pkayed and sounded really good, but a bit goofy looking...returned it.

Saw a seafoam green LTD Viper 400 on Craigslist. Eventually figured out this is a Mariners color, its a resprayed white guitar, & overall I decided to take its relicing to the penultimate conclusion, bare neck now. Tossed the EMGs in favor of a single Fluence Modern Ceramic in the bridge.

199 + 129 (Fluence) - 60 (sold EMGs) = $270 fire breathing shredster with a state of the art two mode pickup in the only positionthat matters.

Guitar Center was kind to me...traded in a $50 Blue Voodoo 412 for $75 in credit, and scored a $249 used Mode Four MF400 cab with the factory K100s. Total: $225

Add a 90's Valvestate 100w head for $140 (warrantied!) for the Ultimate $365 Half Stack of Death! Well, ok, Chuck Schuldinger only used the heads, the cabs are Kerry King's choice.

Actually wanted maximum tones and wanted  a DI channel to record with as I mic the amp (Billy Gibbons trick), so I snagged a mint Tri A.C. instead of mucking around with clones. This is going to be either running in parallel with the VS100's gain or feeding both the slaved VS100 & a mic channel.

To do that, got theee ultimate...the Radial Switchbone. Bob Bradshaw himself was selling the cheapest one on the net, so as luck would have it, it's now mine. Great boost and the best ABY in the game.

Just enough for some flavor...decided to go whole hog on the wah and further the Bradshaw connection with a CAE Wah. Another boost & two Fasels...sells itself.

Last...delay? Modulation? Can't get both...

Or can I?

Malekko 616 analog delay was the answer. Can set for chorus (Small Clone esque) and or a very nice analog delay up to...616ms.

So...

Custom LTD Viper..........$270
Marshall Half Stack........$365
Tri A.C..............................$125
Switchbone.....................$150
CAE Wah...........................$85
Malekko 616.....................$85

Only went over by $70, & if I wasn't bent on the split rig, the Switchbone takes it down to $920 - enough to cover cables & a boost or OD to cover the one on the Radial. Got a used Mooer Flex Boost AC Boost clone for $40 locally.

Beautiful rig for a grand, most would be happy with it as a permanent rig. Eventually this setup will be a part of my permanent rig -Laney AOR 100 & MF400 on one side of the Switchbone, CAE, M13 and VS100 plus an another 412 for my effects rig. Dry clean or distortion, effects, or both blended. The extra hugeness of the Laney and the ultra tightness of the VS100 would probably blend well too.

I'm playing bass too...so much of this will be reused to track bass parts with my new Slick SLPB P Bass. Pro fret job, swamp ash, killer pickup, brass saddles. $260 shipped to my door. Geezer-y!

If you're building a small side rig, have built one at or under the cutoff price, or just wanna play the game...have at it!
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

Danny G

Bad ass.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

mortlock

Tell me more about the slick bass. I think i want one. Never heard of them before.

CID Vicious

Quote from: mortlock on October 31, 2016, 12:11:58 PM
Tell me more about the slick bass. I think i want one. Never heard of them before.

You can get them via Guitar Fetish. Based on the rather bitchin' Earl Slick designed guitar line.

Overwound but just slightly P pickup, single volume but room to add a treble control.

Vintage style bridge with brass saddles.

"Brass Tone" tuning ears, bit more copper looking but a cool touch. The Slick guitars have machined brass tuning pegs, guess they were trying to match the look.

No filler on the body or finish on the neck - just like my former SL59, I rubbed it headstock to strap pin with coconut oil. Feels like a million bucks afterwards.

Swamp ash...not a "coffee table" though. Function over form. Dig the "Geezerburst" but might have gone solid seeing the grain mismatch. But...didn't buy it for photography!

Serious Dusty Hill Custom Shop vibe. I'd have kept my "Jr" Slick too but I have two 1H keepers already.

Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

mortlock

Thanks man. How is the pick up voiced as its wired? With no tone knob..is it full bass or full treble or somewhere inbetween?

CID Vicious

It's between vintage and a grinder like a Model P or SD QP.

If you roll it back just a bit, the highs come down and it sounds like a "standard" P....full volume yields a bright top and more in your face tone, like I'd imagine the No-Load tone control might yield.

The Steve Harris and Geezer pickups "read" similar to me, if that makes sense. Played a short scale Jag with the EMG GZR for justa minute, good impression and similar-ish to this. Hotter but not just another "hot P" wind.

I dig it, most other reviewers I saw described it as a keeper as well.

These are 1mm narrower than Fender but it's a Fender P neck pocket all right, little massaging and a Warmoth will bolt on.

But the stock neck is good. The 80's G&L SB2 I just tried out felt better, but that's the first thing that has since I got this. 2.5x the price used. I think it partly was vintage vs high mass bridge, too.

Overall though, really dig it. The money was spent on the things that produce tone & playability, not a shiny deep finish, which IMO takes away from a wood's resonance.

If they made set necks...still considering an SL60 (2 P90 version of the above guitar) or their strat. The Teles look tempting, & the LP would likely rock too, it's just got the "bolt neck Les-Paul-alike" stigma.

So far my experience with Guitar Fetish has been good. I've bought tuners, pickups (Dream 90 & Bigmouth bridge humbucker) roller saddles, & cables. Nothing tripped my 'rip off" alarm. Their Brownie is supposed to be a killer Whiteface Rat clone as well.

Oh, & a guitar and bass now, too.

They kinda need to get off their ass & make a J bass like this. Put some 70's "Donkey Dick" spec J pickups in there, but I'd still probably rip em out for Model Js. A pair of those & a series parallel switch...on a J made like this here P... :-)
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

Lumpy

Fantasy budget rig:

used Squier Classic Vibe P Bass - 250
used Ampeg 8x10 (or other brand) 450
used Peavey Musician head (got stuck on this one, need help) 250
Rat clone - 50

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.