Started by Discö Rice, July 14, 2016, 12:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantchris

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 16, 2016, 08:23:32 PM
Quote from: giantchris on July 16, 2016, 03:10:18 PM
https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/bass-cabinets/tb153/
And a slightly different take 2x12 with a mid driver
https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/bass-cabinets/b2126/

Those are very far from equivalent. good cabs if you run lots of SS power, terrible cabs if you want to run driven valve amps.
I stand corrected on the TB153 ran some searches on talkbass and it seems like the consensus turned towards the box not being optimized makes it not worth it.  Hadn't read much about it since it originally came out. 

There doesn't seem to be much info on the B2126 though. 

Personally if you can find one Bergantino made a 2x15 with a mid driver for a couple years and it sounded amazing.  I think the model number was like an NV215 or something.

Mr. Foxen

Anything with a mid driver is not the sort of cab I'm talking about. Crossovers need to be way fiddly to provide a good load for valve amps.

zachoff

I want to try out a Super Bassman so bad.  I loved my old Bassman 135, but it was way underpowered.

I have an old SVT+810 rig and it's my baby.  Magnavox era... 1976.  The 810 is one of the non square back 400W versions and sounds quite different than the 800Wers.

Might look into the new reissues.  I've heard good things.  I love the Ampeg 810.

As far as the others you mention, I have no opinion... Sorry.

I do have an Orange TB500 and it's worth checking out.  I actually use it more than the Ampeg these days because it weighs 10 lbs.  Comes with crappy Chinese tubes though, so a quick change will do you good.

eoin_not_ian

I played a Mesa 400+ once, it was brilliant.

I have never been much of a fan of the 1x15 and 4x10 mixed Powerhouse cabs. To me it just looks like a bit of a gimmick. 

I currently have a Trace Elliot V6. It sucks at preamp overdrive and at 400 watts by the time the power amp tubes are being pushed, the volume is ridiculously loud. Also expensive to retube.

mortlock