Fuzz - s/t

Started by Dylan Thomas, September 26, 2013, 01:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Thomas

It's no big secret that I'm a huge fan of all things Ty Segall.  So I've been pretty stoked waiting for this one, a Black Sabbath/Blue Cheer influenced band with Ty on drums and vocals.  He's a great guitarist on his solo records and live with The Ty Segall Band, but he hands off axe duties to Charlie Moonhart, who's a more than capable guitarist in his own right.  Moonhart also plays second guitar in the Ty Segall Band, along with his other band, The Moonhearts.  He rips it up on this album. I don't know who the bassist is, but he's good too.

Fuzz already put out two 7 inches earlier that really wet my whistle, and I'd seen a live video of them really ripping.  This album doesn't disappoint, and is exactly what you'd expect - a heady mixture of garage punk and proto-metal.  If you liked Ty Segall's album "Twins", then I think that you'll dig this also.  If you like Witch's first album, but were disappointed with their second album, I think that you'll dig this.  The vocals remind me a lot of Witch at times.  It's a little on the short side, at only 36 minutes.  The production is a bit rough, really raw, lo-fi and noisy.  All in all, a solid release.

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

MichaelZodiac

I heard this in the car last weekend. I dug it.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

CanookieWookie

Good pick, it is a fine album.

The Shocker

Bold statement, naming a band Fuzz.

CanookieWookie

Not the first band to be called fuzz.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: The Shocker on September 29, 2013, 06:42:15 PM
Bold statement, naming a band Fuzz.

Ty Segall's a pretty bold one.  A brash, very talented youngster, still hungry and ultra prolific.  Check out his chops on the drums and vocals in this vid...

EddieMullet

The tone of that guitar, like he found Erik Braunn's and Leigh Stephens' old gear somewhere NICE!

tastelikedirt

They barrow a lot from Blue Cheer. A lot.

Cool record.

MadJohnShaft

Stupid band name, fun release.

I like it a lot and the kids need to listen to some hard rock gateway bands like this.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: tastelikedirt on November 13, 2013, 12:22:17 AM
They barrow a lot from Blue Cheer. A lot.

Cool record.

Good artists barrow, while great artists steel  ;)

mortlock

I dig this band. they have that old amrep/sub pop vibe.
their live album is killer. I need to get it on vinyl.

anyone see what this thing is going for. I haven't seen it under $100 yet..

The Bandit

I get a Bevis Frond thing without all the guitar wanking and the vocals remind me of Witch.

kokojones

Quote from: mortlock on January 01, 2014, 08:33:47 PM
I dig this band. they have that old amrep/sub pop vibe.
their live album is killer. I need to get it on vinyl.

anyone see what this thing is going for. I haven't seen it under $100 yet..

Not the same live album you have pictured, but this Live in SF smokes as well (and doesn't cost $100 for a copy).

http://www.midheaven.com/artist/fuzz

Screamin Eagle

That Fuzz album is such a great piece of music to me... especially "what's in my head" and "raise" blew me away!

CanookieWookie

It's good, but there's tons better.

The Shocker

Dylan Thomas