So I just started listening to Red Fang

Started by swordofdoom, October 03, 2012, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordofdoom

themusketking

Since the moment I heard Prehistoric Dog the first time; this band has had a profound impact on my life. Own both albums on vinyl and Murder the Mountains as a whole is the second most played album on my ipod.  I love what they're doing, I love that they love what they're doing, and I love how they're doing it.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

swordofdoom

Quote from: themusketking on October 03, 2012, 08:34:29 PM
Since the moment I heard Prehistoric Dog the first time; this band has had a profound impact on my life. Own both albums on vinyl and Murder the Mountains as a whole is the second most played album on my ipod.  I love what they're doing, I love that they love what they're doing, and I love how they're doing it.

That about sums it up.

I always say them in the related videos on YouTube whenever I would listen to Clutch or something like that, but never even gave them a second thought. Yesterday I thought to myself "What the hell?" and clicked on the video for Wires. 5 minutes later, I knew these guys were legit.

Amazing band. One of those few acts where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

And the Jus Oborn style vocals are just the icing on the cake for me.

Dunedin

I'm a recent convert to the Fang as well, and yeah Wires just totally blew me away. Not so sure I hear the Jus Osborn comparison though, but hey as long as were all enjoying the music who cares?
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

swordofdoom

Quote from: Dunedin on October 04, 2012, 02:20:23 PM
I'm a recent convert to the Fang as well, and yeah Wires just totally blew me away. Not so sure I hear the Jus Osborn comparison though, but hey as long as were all enjoying the music who cares?

I think it's the way they both use some kind of really deep sounding reverb when they sing. It almost sounds like he's singing from the bottom of a well on certain songs. Oborn's vocals on Witchcult Today (think Dunwich) immediately jumped to my mind when I first heard Wires. Not exact, but a little similar IMO.

Then again, maybe I'm just hearing things.  ;D

Either way, these guys are getting some serious rotation from me right now.

amadkins

Saw them open for the Bakerton Group at The Shelter a while back, but never gave them a fair shot. Bought Murder the Mountains today and realized the error of my ways.

GodShifter

Believe it or not, I never heard anything they've done outside of a video or two that I've pretty much roundly dismissed.

What should I check out?

Demon Lung

Quote from: GodShifter on October 04, 2012, 08:16:34 PM
Believe it or not, I never heard anything they've done outside of a video or two that I've pretty much roundly dismissed.

What should I check out?
i feel the same way

themusketking

Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

MadJohnShaft

That is the greatest video ever made

They are a bit like the band 'Pearls and Brass'?
Some days chickens, some days feathers

swordofdoom

What should I check out?

So far, ALL of their 2 albums (Red Fang and Murder the Mountains) have been extremely solid. Not totally digging some of the almost punk type stuff I'm hearing, but I still maintain that these guys are incredible.

If you're looking for specific songs - Wires, Prehistoric Dog, Hank is Dead, Painted Parade, Number Thirteen, Human Herd, Reverse Thunder, and Good to Die. Those are some of my favs anyway, but Wires is still the standout track for me. That is a perfect song if there ever was one.

I think they've got a new album coming out soon, too. So check that out.

giantchris

What should I check out?
Consistent quality.  Great tones, great songwriting, interesting rhythms.  There isn't a single bad song on either of their albums. 

Demon Lung

I've heard all of the songs mentioned above and I only like 2 of them. Back when the prehistoric dog video came out I decided that I was going to get into red fang. Good song/ good video so I went on iTunes and got the album. To me they want to be like clutch but they aren't clutch. They want to have that southern stomp but they don't have that southern stomp. They want to be stoner rock but its more like punk and straight up rock to me. Their tone as sound are all great but its the finished outcome that I don't like. They have black pyramid disease where they blow their load on a couple of songs and leave the rest of the album lacking to me

natehusky

I was lucky enough to discover them like (that's my favorite way ) and have been a fan since . I'm surprised they aren't bigger .

Ryno

Welcome to 2006 gentlemen. Bout time people recognize one of the best bands, (live and recorded), going right now.

Quote from: Demon Lung on October 07, 2012, 08:36:42 AMI've heard all of the songs mentioned above and I only like 2 of them. Back when the prehistoric dog video came out I decided that I was going to get into red fang. Good song/ good video so I went on iTunes and got the album. To me they want to be like clutch but they aren't clutch. They want to have that southern stomp but they don't have that southern stomp. They want to be stoner rock but its more like punk and straight up rock to me. Their tone as sound are all great but its the finished outcome that I don't like. They have black pyramid disease where they blow their load on a couple of songs and leave the rest of the album lacking to me

And this ^^^^^^ is how I know you have no fucking clue what you are saying. There is nothing about them that sounds like Clutch. There is no southern anything about them.  I doubt they even care what stoner rock is nowadays, never mind them trying to fit in that mold. They're just 4 hard working, broke ass dudes from the PNW playing a perfect combination of riffs and licks while also writing and singing interesting, humorous songs. Oh yeah. And they tour their asses off.  

As you can tell, I'm a fan.

Also check out their cover of Dust's "Suicide" if you can find it.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

swordofdoom

Quote from: Ryno on October 09, 2012, 07:08:46 PM
Welcome to 2006 gentlemen. Bout time people recognize one of the best bands, (live and recorded), going right now.

Quote from: Demon Lung on October 07, 2012, 08:36:42 AM
I've heard all of the songs mentioned above and I only like 2 of them. Back when the prehistoric dog video came out I decided that I was going to get into red fang. Good song/ good video so I went on iTunes and got the album. To me they want to be like clutch but they aren't clutch. They want to have that southern stomp but they don't have that southern stomp. They want to be stoner rock but its more like punk and straight up rock to me. Their tone as sound are all great but its the finished outcome that I don't like. They have black pyramid disease where they blow their load on a couple of songs and leave the rest of the album lacking to me

And this ^^^^^^ is how I know you have no fucking clue what you are saying. There is nothing about them that sounds like Clutch. There is no southern anything about them.  I doubt they even care what stoner rock is nowadays, never mind them trying to fit in that mold. They're just 4 hard working, broke ass dudes from the PNW playing a perfect combination of riffs and licks while also writing and singing interesting, humorous songs. Oh yeah. And they tour their asses off.  

As you can tell, I'm a fan.

Also check out their cover of Dust's "Suicide" if you can find it.

Have to agree, I'm really not hearing the Clutch in them either.

Heavy Handed Mike

I hear Melvins influence all over Murder The Mountain. Anyone else hear that?

sleestak

Definite Melvins on murder that I didn't hear on the first couple eps.  Not like a rip off but just some moments that channel some melvinsy riffage.  I listened to murder today while doing cardio at the gym and it hit the spot.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

natehusky

Heard an interview with the guitarist & he says he rips off Buzzo so often he's surprised he (Buzzo ) hadn't punched him in the face

GodShifter

Checked out the new one, and I really like it. MUCH better than I thought it would be. That said, I'm not sure that there will be any staying power with this band for me. Nothing against them, but I'm old these days and tend to stick to the stuff that is tried and true for me (namely 70's hard rock for the most part).

So, yeah, the music is very good, but (WARNING UNPOPULAR OPINION) -- I do not like their videos. They are very well done, but I just don't dig them. I guess what it comes down to, really, is I'm not a big "video guy" for any band anymore.

rayinreverse

Right before they left for their first big tour with Clutch, I talked to them about it. They hadnt even heard Clutch's music. They were super stoked, but they didnt really seem to know who they were.
I dont hear any Clutch in their music, and Im pretty sure they dont listen to enough of it to rip it off. Especially the first record.
Murder the Mountains is a great album.

RAGER

It's cool to hear people have such opinions about some dudes i know.  Some funny motherfuckers too.  Clutch?  No.  We all think Clutch blows out here.
No Focus Pocus

Dave J

I'm not sure if I like them yet or not, but I think their videos are brilliant.  I love the sense of humor and the songs are good.  I don't know if I would like them if I was not watching the video also.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Sleazy Cortez

Hmmm yeah I only ever hear them while watching the videos on YouTube.... But I do that kinda regular like. And I enjoy that.
they call em fingers.... but i never seen em fing.