Downton Abbey series one

Started by MadJohnShaft, February 22, 2012, 07:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Watched the first 3 episodes last night.  Kinda diggin it.  Really diggin Lady Sybill
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I thought that two hour premiere was really good.

Take that Thomas.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

MadJohnShaft

Lady Mary is nice to look at.

Grandma's comments about the Anglo-Irish mansion were hilarious. 

MadJohnShaft

Oh my God,  Oh my God,  Oh my God

bitter

Just finished Season 3. What a heartbreaker.

I'm in a glass case of emotion!

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

renfield

This is such a weirdly specific meme

Josh

I only watched a few seasons of this. Boy, the English really love to obsess over class and social status. I enjoyed learning how a proper English manor was run and how once the 20th century dawned, so much became antiquated almost overnight. After awhile though, I lost interest as it settled into a pretty standard soap opera deal. The wife watched the whole thing and I imagine I'll be going to see the movie. 

Sprague Dawley

wft is this. More like Down Syndrome Abbey if you ask me. A slowly rotating tilt-a-whirl of 45 second vignettes featuring stiff upper lip pommy passive aggressive jousting and parrying. Joust, parry, defer, insinuate, rinse & fucken repeat, cut to next identical scene. The pesky cutting to another completely different scene every 30 odd seconds makes it hard for me to focus on the swank rooms bookshelves and daydream where I'd put my fucken records. Those old books'd have to go. Fuck Lloyd George and fuck his father too. It's no longer the library. It's now a doom metal listening room. Deal with it, cunts. WTF do these posh toffs do all fucken day? All they do is get tarted up to the nines and then sit around gossiping about each other and some other prick. Nowhere to be and not a fucking thing to do. Pretty fucken sweet. I'd be outside with the pitching wedge. Holy shit, the grounds. Those acres and acres of perfect baize lawn are just screaming at me to strafe a 2-iron at some serf fuck doorman.

ps halfway thru my 2nd episode now and I am completely hooked on this old ladies bullshit.

renfield

Just watch Gosford Park instead

Josh

Or Remains of the Day, or pretty much any Ivory/Merchant shit.

I started watching The Favourite when my wife walked in and I almost convinced her that it was a prequel to Downton Abbey. Heh.

RAGER

Just finished it through for I think the third time. I'm old.

But golly gumdrops we can't wait for the movie.
No Focus Pocus