December 19, 2014, 06:26:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Meadow RIP  (Read 3008 times)
priest

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »

I don't know whether L. Ron meant they were always corny, or corny now, but oh my fucking god.

have you guys seen them lately?  I don't think corny is the word.  they're trying to be a 50's David Lynch hipster lounge act.  I'm completely baffled

whatchoo mean lame, sucka?

OR

I'm so sick of stealing the show and would really love to meet some real sons of fucking bitches who aren't afraid to use a sweat band for its intended purpose: wiping off fucking sweat, cum, groupies, pussy juice, blood, etc.
MadJohnShaft

Earn focus points while learning more about StonerRock™

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »

I don't believe you

Think twice before walking on thin ice
peoplething

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »

yeah really.

you got a link for that holms?

"Florida is not safe, biological weapons on the way. You have to leave with the kids. Meet me in Atlanta."
astroman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »

Only saw them once and was bored out of my gourd.
L. Ron

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »

Always corny.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.
Lumpy

Planet Mango

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »

Haven't seen (or heard) them recently... what happened?

They have their own sound, not many stoner rock bands can say that.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.
priest

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »

there's all this new up-tempo crap that's not heavy at all.  I don't have a link.

bass and guitar tones are the exact same.  they play the old shit like they're trying to hurry up so they can catch a plane.  they took ALL the stoner out of the music.  why would they do this?

OR

I'm so sick of stealing the show and would really love to meet some real sons of fucking bitches who aren't afraid to use a sweat band for its intended purpose: wiping off fucking sweat, cum, groupies, pussy juice, blood, etc.
The Bandit

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »

I absolutely loved them through Feathers, but everything since then has been weak.  Still, I'd be sad if they really did break up.  Unique band.
Lumpy

Planet Mango

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 11:58:51 AM »

I like all their records, and I think they are consistently good. Ooh, I see they have a new release pending? "Warble Womb".

Okay, not a good name for an album.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.
Ryno

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »

Saw them like two years ago opening for Mogwai and I thought it was one of the best sets they ever played.  Fully tripped-out and rocking.  

I'm reserving judgement until I have proof.  Especially when the source of this news is vegan.  Can't trust a word a vegan says.  You just can't.

If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?
liquidsmoke

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »

there's all this new up-tempo crap that's not heavy at all.  I don't have a link.

bass and guitar tones are the exact same.  they play the old shit like they're trying to hurry up so they can catch a plane.  they took ALL the stoner out of the music.  why would they do this?

Yikes. Fuck this. Glad I saw them twice play their good material correctly.

priest

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »

I absolutely loved them through Feathers, but everything since then has been weak.  Still, I'd be sad if they really did break up.  Unique band.

what they're doing right now is far worse than breaking up

OR

Dylan Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 12:26:04 PM »

I respect bands that follow their artistic vision no matter where it takes them, no matter how much it alters their initial sound, and no matter how much it alienates their core fan base.  It doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to follow them down every artistic rabbit hole they stumble upon, and it doesn't mean I'm not going to cringe when my feelings clash with their new choice of musical direction.  Innovation takes a high degree of risk, and growth takes a strong ability to both learn from and let go of the past.  Nothing was more frustrating to me than being in a band that preferred comfort and taking the easy route over growth and innovation, a band that would ask me, "why can't you just write songs like the last album?" and expressed anger or just plain laziness when pushed to venture into new territories.

I've always deeply respected and appreciated artists like Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins and Queens of the Stone Age, who were willing and able to develop and follow their artistic visions where ever they led.  That's what true art is about.  Those who just want to cater to a specific style and audience aren't really artists in my opinion, they're just opportunists who lack the courage for genuine self expression and choose to hide behind a well-worn cliche instead.  Perhaps that's why I feel so alienated and disconnected from the "genres" of stoner and doom...

Gotta get pants, go get your pants, button FLY!!!
The Bandit

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »

So Andy, what are your feelings about AC/DC?
juan11

Total time logged in: 1 hours and 11 minutes.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »

They both have their proper applications.

We have to fight Horns here, so that we don't kill Islamic militants over there.
Dylan Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

So Andy, what are your feelings about AC/DC?

I like most of their songs, only own a couple of their albums, and would not feel any desire to either own their entire catalog or buy any new material from them.

Gotta get pants, go get your pants, button FLY!!!
RacerX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »

Saw them like two years ago opening for Mogwai and I thought it was one of the best sets they ever played.  Fully tripped-out and rocking.  

I'm reserving judgement until I have proof.  Especially when the source of this news is vegan.  Can't trust a word a vegan says.  You just can't.

1) They played a great set when we opened for them.

2) While his musical taste may be questionable, Priest is not a vegan.

\m/\m/
Stickman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »

After the hipster fest they headed years ago (where Mr. Oz screamed "Where's The Heavy?!?" at them 2 songs in, and we walked out), I'm unsurprised at anything they do now. Boring is right.
MichaelZodiac

Proud Waffle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »

I really like their older stuff (credit to where it's due: thanks to deaner actually, he raves about Feathers now and again) but their newer stuff is more meh. I'll probably catch them when they play with Psychic Ills & Carlton Melton here in September.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan
sleestak
Administrator

$$$$$$$$

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 05:44:08 PM »

Many years ago I saw them play and it stands as one of the top sets I've ever seen live.  They were still fuzzed out and stonerish.  It was before feathers came out.

Edit - The show I speak of was as a 4 piece in the year 2004 in Pittsburgh at Modern Formations.  Feels like only yesterday that show from 9 years ago does.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:46:11 PM by sleestak » Logged

"It was a good run , enjoy today my friends! love you all."  - Chovie D
Ryno

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »

Burritoegan?

If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?
MadJohnShaft

Earn focus points while learning more about StonerRock™

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »

I went to see them maybe 20 times, sometimes they're a three piece or a four piece.  I liked the three piece better but this one time when I was really fucked up I saw the four piece in a place with great sound and the new guitar voice made sense.   They switched drummers somewhere in there.

I'm with the poet, Their music is so beautiful but they need to do new stuff.  They did a beer commercial! That rules!

I saw them once with snailhook in Washington DC! I got to go to his apartment. Dead Meadow put me and Julia on the guest list for Zwan at the Metro. So I have to buy their records forever.

Most bands when they get too old put out some embarrassing ideas.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:58:26 PM by MadJohnShaft » Logged

Think twice before walking on thin ice
priest

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »

Burritoegan?

I just ate the last bite of a burrito

/Ishityounot

OR

PaganiniAlfredo

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »

I must have missed something, is someone trying to force you to like dead meadow or something? If you don't like them then you don't like them.

Sorry that you don't.
CanookieWookie

Coolest Motherfuckers ...

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »

Who is this impostor?

The Bandit, Black, Priest, Lumpy, Token, Jor el, L. Ron, gritty_fingers, MadJohnShaft, mortlock, MikeyT, dong ytown, retardgroove, Danny G, Palmer Eldritch, Dunedin, juan11, JackyBlue, SunnO)))
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: